Phantom Regiment 2012

What does this have to do with DC? Attack and release. Intonation. Last time I heard PR do Nessun, early 90s I think, the soloist had a total melt down as he did at Finals and the orchestral parts were out of tune. Although a short piece, it is very difficult. I hope they can pull it off. It is an exquisite piece of music.

When Phantom played Nessun Dorma in 1991, the soloist was J.D. Shaw. I don't recall him clamming it up. I do agree that it's difficult. Puccini wrote a lot of parts for virtuosi in his operas, they're not for amateurs.

When Phantom played Nessun Dorma in 1991, the soloist was J.D. Shaw. I don't recall him clamming it up. I do agree that it's difficult. Puccini wrote a lot of parts for virtuosi in his operas, they're not for amateurs.

Go watch the video on FN. I think the poster that you're responding made an obtuse remark...

Phantom was great that year. JD was great that year.

maybe he's referring to the trumpet soloist in the pagliacci?? nessun was great

That's my guess.

I stand corrected. I was thinking of Pagliacci, and if I recall, the soloist was perhaps RD from NW LA St.? I'm using my foggy memory on this and I don't have any recordings with me past 1990 except for 1999 (outstanding year).

I used initials because I don't want to bash anyone. There was tremendous exposure, too, on this piece. A very tough position to be in. Takes a lot of kahungas to step in and say "I'll do it - take on the toughest part of the show with total exposure". Takes a lot of self-confidence, too. Perhaps a little off topic, but one could say, how about the Scouts sop soloists and the BD sop soloists (meltdown there, too in 19xx?)? I would say that the exposure was much shorter with lots of backup.

It makes me cringe to see anyone blow their solo because I feel very bad for the player. I was a soloist of sorts in jazz ensemble because I was the only one on the instrument. I made mistakes and it still bothers me, but I was covered by the band and recovery is part of musicianship.

I hope every moment in every Corps is as good as they can make it.

Kevin

Chaos

I was not familiar with Larin. I wikied and found that he died young 1956-2008. It didn't appear that he sang with the Met and so he may not have had much American exposure (He may have been too busy singing with better Companies). Of course the Met performances are now rarely available on radio (used to listen to them every Saturday as a small kid), but unless our area Public Radio Stations air other Companies, you're not going to hear them. Last Opera I heard on radio was the Tan Dun - can't remember the name- that received some negative reviews, but I found very interesting.

Do you have any links or references where I can listen to Larin?

Kevin

maybe he's referring to the trumpet soloist in the pagliacci?? nessun was great

We've heard horror stories for years that they had to rewrite the entire visual book for this guy.

He was kind of set up for failure. Pretty hard to follow up that solo, when most people in that era still remembered Pete Bond (New York Met) playing that in the late 70's as a member of PR.

Chaos

I was not familiar with Larin. I wikied and found that he died young 1956-2008. It didn't appear that he sang with the Met and so he may not have had much American exposure (He may have been too busy singing with better Companies). Of course the Met performances are now rarely available on radio (used to listen to them every Saturday as a small kid), but unless our area Public Radio Stations air other Companies, you're not going to hear them. Last Opera I heard on radio was the Tan Dun - can't remember the name- that received some negative reviews, but I found very interesting.

Do you have any links or references where I can listen to Larin?

Kevin