Phantom Regiment 2012

I'm not reading this entire thread.....

But can somebody tell me this... Do they have sumo wrestlers in China? What's up with the sumo movements?

If I remember correctly, the "sumo" movements are supposed to resemble ancient Chinese war drumming. I watched the DVD of the Zubin Mehta production of Turandot filmed at the Forbidden City in Beijing (where the story of Turandot takes place) - - the production used Chinese soldiers in Ming dynasty costumes as drummers and guards in the chorus.

Everything about this show is amazing. Pacing is especially done surprisingly well.

Could be wrong, but I don't think I heard any electronic backing during the whole thing. Can someone else chime in to disappoint me?

There is a synth being used, but it is only used for atmosphere - - a little background fill or the sound effect of the beheading and such.

• Like 2

In a video I watched that I think is taken down, the synth was used to copy the contras part. I hope I'm wrong, but thats what I heard about a week ago. They might have changed it though.

I'm as big a Regiment "homer" as you'll find. That said, just based on past experience, they will not win the championship this year. Not because they can't or that the show isn't championship caliber. It's just the way it is. After 35+ years, we've just come to accept that it isn't in the cards for them. It will probably be Blue Devils, Cadets, and Crown occupying the top 3 spots with a strong push by the Cavaliers to close the gap. But, The Regiment will, once again, be on the outside looking in, which is unfortunate as this show is light years ahead of last year.

RM

• Like 1

And a few years ago, people would have said that it's just not in the cards for Crown to ever be top 3 because thats just how its always been, but look at them now. PR is normally the king of slow starts and huge pushes towards finals. Who knows what'll happen now considering they are starting strong and will be growing like usual throughout the season.

I arrived halfway through Regiment's performance in the Akron cine-cast, so the Stanford video feed was my first full look at their show, and what surprised me most was that the drill did not seem simpler than Vanguard's (also a first read for me), though many people have said otherwise. SCV's brass seems to play less when moving than PR's, at least at the moment.

The demand just isn't at the level of Crown, Cadets, and even BD seems to be marching quite a bit this year.

However, I think the demand level is high enough. The drill design is that much more superior than everyone else. It's not about running around and rotating boxes and diags and crazy pass throughs.... it about tying the dril into the music and making it one. Jamey has always been my favorite at doing this. And there is plenty of running going on. Just not the same as Crown. And they don't always step it out like Cadets do.. but honestly I like the effect of a full corps or large sections at a time jazz running. it is an easy way to add lots of velocity to the drill.

I recognize their drill is a bit easier than the corps they are competing with right now... but so had BDs when they have won. They were just #### clean. And Phantom is well on their way to being there. And the show design is just great. The horns sound great. Do I think they will win??? I don't know, honestly. But I think it is possible. I just hope they don't get buried as other corps clean. In my mind they are a top 3 corps this year.

I would just LOVE for the top 3 to be Crown, Phantom, SCV. How awesome would that be. But I won't hold my breath tongue.gif

Edited by kickhaltsforlife
  • Like 1

I think I was basically trying to say... Demand doesn't automatically make drill good. It can help, but it's not everything. I think BD has proven that over the years. Although I wouldn't label their drill under "good"

But hey.. I'm not a judge... so who am I???

The demand just isn't at the level of Crown, Cadets, and even BD seems to be marching quite a bit this year.

However, I think the demand level is high enough. The drill design is that much more superior than everyone else. It's not about running around and rotating boxes and diags and crazy pass throughs.... it about tying the dril into the music and making it one. Jamey has always been my favorite at dong this. And there is plenty of running going on. Just not the same as Crown. And they don't always step it out like Cadets do.. but honestly I like the effect of a full corps or large sections at a time jazz running. it is an easy way to add lots of velocity to the drill.

I recognize their drill is a bit easier than the corps they are competing with right now... but so had BDs when they have won. They were just #### clean. And Phantom is well on their way to being there. And the show design is just great. The horns sound great. Do I think they will win??? I don't know, honestly. But I think it is possible. I just hope they don't get buried as other corps clean. In my mind they are a top 3 corps this year.

I would just LOVE for the top 3 to be Crown, Phantom, SCV. How awesome would that be. But I won't hold my breath tongue.gif

...and this is where true effect comes from. A corps can have all the running around and insane drill in the world, but if it's not musical (in the sense that it's a visual representation of the music with true motivated movement) it will not score as well. I really wish people would stop thinking about how difficult a corps's drill is because that is only taken into effect IF it's effective and musical!

However, I think the demand level is high enough. The drill design is that much more superior than everyone else. It's not about running around and rotating boxes and diags and crazy pass throughs.... it about tying the dril into the music and making it one. Jamey has always been my favorite at dong this. And there is plenty of running going on. Just not the same as Crown. And they don't always step it out like Cadets do.. but honestly I like the effect of a full corps or large sections at a time jazz running. it is an easy way to add lots of velocity to the drill.

lol