Phantom Regiment 2012

but they are sexy!

They're sometimes great; I was just dying to use that line!

You know, many people would claim that they're dated and make intervals look bad.

Welcome back Phantomettes, indeed!

Cool video, although I would have loved to see more that 12 seconds of equipment work in a 2 minute video...

Very excited about this year's show!

• Like 1

They're sometimes great; I was just dying to use that line!

You know, many people would claim that they're dated and make intervals look bad.

Watch Crossmen 2009.....

i agree if they are too long, but i thought the length from 03-05 was good, you could only see them when they faced back field really. and they weren't flying all over the place. To me, it gave them a sense of 'mystique' visually.

either way. i love the black chevron on the arms on the current uniform, looks 89 era.

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2
  • Like 3

...a couple notes from this weekend's camp.

It was so good to see the whole corps there!

Seeing I work with the sewing team, I was situated between the main practice/final tryout room for the guard and the large gym where the percussion and the brass traded time.

As I am sure you have seen posted on the Phantom Regiment facebook page, it was the final cut from 60 guard to 40. Glad I didn't have to choose! Watching the spinning exercises and some of the individual tryouts I couldn't have picked one over the other. I hope there is room for some of these young ladies (and YES the guard is all women again this year) find another corps to march with this summer, get more experience and come back next fall to try out again.

As much as I liked the drums last year, this year will sound and look much, much better when they are out on the field. They have been challenged and are rising to the occasion. Working with the uniform fitting this weekend, I have met some really large dudes! One base drummer has to be 6-8. A uniform fitting nightmare! But got it done.

The pit has been equally challenged to step it up. I won't say a lot more until I see the visual part of the show, but just listening to the changes in sound, speed and volume this group can handle right now is just crazy! The pit, noticed for making faces and really getting into the music last year, will be noticed more for their abilities this year. Take that to the bank.

As for the horns. The main soloist for Nessen Dorma is smooth. He hit the notes over and over during the practices. There are other solosist that do equally great jobs and a quintet (is that 4?) horns that so a short, but well done piece. The horn sections sound pretty strong for right now, but I can't wait to hear them on an open field. They were in a large indoor gym, so I cannot comment on if, how, when they played together if they sounded sharp and clear. So much sound bouncing around!

They, the horns, did some marching. Watch out! There is going to be some moves that Phantom has not put in their show for years......and maybe a few new moves. It could be amazing or disastrous. Hard to tell until they have the chance to start praticing outside at Rockford College (RoCo) in about 3 weeks.

Of course, at the end of camp on Sunday, the brass and the percussion combined, with the guard sitting in front watching - and did one complete run through of the entire show. I didn't know where to look nor could I keep up on what was being played so don't ask song selections. Other than the obvious song, I don't recognize the pieces even after watching the opera several times. I don't know what it's going to be like once they are on the field, but there was a lot of pit taking cues from the drums, the drums taking cue from the brass and so on. To me, much more 'team' than in the past several years. Sure the DM has control (and he's very, very good this year), but the members still need to feed off of each other.

Finally, dont expect the Phantom Regiment's show to be your time to sit back and relax. It's not gonna be that kind of show this year. It was musically very intense this weekend and I sure hope that intensity flows into the visual show and comes back to the audience. I still have no idea what the guard uniform looks like, but I know some surprises are coming there so its taking a bit more time to get it worked out visually. I've been working with a specific part of the corps uniform that didn't come out right either, but we are working on the details and the corps will look great marching in the Memorial Day Parade in Rockford at the end of May.

....and there are, to my understanding, TWO members from ROCKFORD in the corps this year!!!

As I am every year, I am excited about the music and how the kids can play it, the big thing is the visual. Will the drums be staged properly to show off some new moves? Will the horns sound as loud and rich when spread across the field. Will the soloists be loud enough when they are 1/2 a football field away?

If it does, and if it is, you will hear / see / feel a very 'different' Phantom Regiment in 2012 - IMHO.

SUTA!

This was so cool to read up on how a Corps is doing. We get so little info from most Corps that I'd like to acknowledge somebody like you that took the time to let us know whats happening lately with your Corps. Thanks for sharing this update.

• Like 6

One thing for sure, unlike Adam Sage, KC isn't afraid to take girls of all sizes. All that matters is the talent.

!@#!$@@$. Meant to +1 you, accidentally hit -1. Sorry.

• Like 1