Most Inspired/Improved Finals Performances

I also would make mention of 1974 Muchacho's prelims 7th place 83.05 and finals 4th place 86.950

WHile we're in 1974 found these

and
Edited by blueorginal

Here's one I haven't seen mentioned: 2001 Cadets

Saw them in early July out in California, and the show was a disjointed, discombobulated mess. Their original closer (Bernstein, IIRC) just flat out did not work. They were several points behind BD at the Stockton show I was at (Moonlight Classic).

So they scrapped the entire closer, rewrote it with Bizet, and everything started to click. By Finals they were great and caught up with BD for a 2nd place tie. 2001 remains one of my favorite Cadets shows from that decade.

• Like 2

I'd counter with 03 SCV. Saw Regiment in CA early that year and they were already pretty impressive. SCV had this odd, esoteric show that really wasn't working in June. But by Finals Vanguard had really put it all together, and if the season had been one day longer I think they would have passed Phantom for good that year.

Very possibly. I saw them too in CA and thought it was good. But by finals, from a performance standpoint, it was spectacular. In spite of some upper brass over blowing during Sanctus.

RM

No, they won semis as well. That was the experiment year when DCI didn't announce the semi scores until after finals. The scores for both contests are available at corpsreps.

Not only did they win semis, but they also won the opening how of the year with Cavies, Phantom, Star and others in a DCM show in Whitewater. They were awesome all year. Although it is true that they had not beaten Devils or SCV prior to semis, they were great from day 1. They may have beaten them sooner had they not spent time in Europe that summer instead of regular judged shows.

So, I would say yes to them being inspired at finals, but not really improved. That would sell the rest of their incredible summer short.