Most Inspired/Improved Finals Performances

Troopers '79. As a homer, I remember starting the season being 20 points behind Cavies. By prelims we were within a few tenths. We were also having our ###e$ handed to us at the beginning of the season by corps who didn't even make the top 20! This corps not only made finals, it probably saved the Troopers from extinction. :thumbup:

Troopers '79. As a homer, I remember starting the season being 20 points behind Cavies. By prelims we were within a few tenths. We were also having our ###e$ handed to us at the beginning of the season by corps who didn't even make the top 20! This corps not only made finals, it probably saved the Troopers from extinction. :thumbup:

I agree with your post. It was a miraculous year for the Troopers. I was in the stands for that exceptional prelims performance and was on my feet for at least 5 minutes after your last note. But, if the post is referring to the most inspired/improved finals performance -- well the finals performance fell flat in comparison to that prelims show. Still, a wonderful show and heartfelt performance.

I also think the VANGUARD yell that year may have been the loudest of all time...

I literally came out of my seat to scream Vanguard during their finals performance and I was far from the only one! The show was definitely a crowd pleaser, but they needed another 2 weeks to clean it for the judge's sake.

89 Cadets and 92 cadets and 89 Suncoast. We had 14 (!) endings in 89, and the last 30 seconds of the show was learned FINALS DAY! Yikes!

89 Suncoast...I thought they'd end up 16th or lower when I saw them early season. THAT was a hard-core group of winners!

92 cadets...they went out with 35 (?) horns at the first exhibition, due to a sickness that made its way through the corps at move-ins. They were ATROCIOUS! I believe they went out with 4 snares, a quad, and 1/2 the bass line. Then to go on and finish 2nd?!? CRAZY!

• Like 1

I'm a phan, but Phantom seems to do it repeatedly - '93, 96, 01, 05, 06, 08, 11 all stand out.

The gold standard for me is Phantom 96 and 08. Both lightening in a bottle shows that just sucked all the emotion out of the corps and the crowd by Saturday night at Finals.

Among others that stand out to me:

SCV '99 - talk about surging...

Boston '00 - unbelievable Saturday night performance

SCV '07 - just the difference from a week earlier was astounding

Madison '95 - while an electric show all year, the Saturday night show is legendary to me in crowd connection, along with SCV 89 and Phantom 08.

Harvey

Most Inspired and not one mention of Spirit 1980?

I guess you had to be there to understand.

Translation:

If you don't like the fact that they barely marched and made horribly ugly sounds... it is because you were young and weren't there. It couldn't be that you don't like barely marching and ugly sounds.

• Like 3

Translation:

If you don't like the fact that they barely marched and made horribly ugly sounds... it is because you were young and weren't there. It couldn't be that you don't like barely marching and ugly sounds.

Thanks for that translation, General Chicken.

I wasn't sure what he meant, so I salute you for that.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Translation:

Translation....

You either did not read my post completely or you did not comprehend what you read.

• Like 1

Translation....

You either did not read my post completely or you did not comprehend what you read.

I comprehend just fine. You are insinuating that had people seen it live, they would have liked it.

My contention is that that is not remotely true. Almost everyone except the dinosaurs in our current DCI community dislike harsh, uncharacteristic sounds and little or no marching & park and bark.

Don't believe me? Refer to ANY thread on the Blue Devils or HBCU Bands.

• Like 2