Which corps have several staff members from the same high school?

I'll be honest, since I haven't worked with any corps in quite a few years, I was wondering, which corps have large groups of staff members that are all on staff at the same high school.

I remember seeing a couple of years ago that Boston Crusaders had several members on staff from I think Tarpon Springs HS. I have seen quite a few TS shows on BOA, and they are quite good. So just curious, how many members are on staff at both programs?

How many other corps have large groups coming in from the same high schools to be instructors? I would love to find out which corps, and which high schools they have come from. It is always fun to check out videos and see if you can see similarities between the corps and the band programs.

Does Carolina Crown have more than one instructor that also works with Avon (IN) HS?

I think the Tarpons Springs contingent has been dispersed. Did any of them follow Howard Weinstein to Blue Stars?

Your question is a fascinating one. I've never really thought about this before.

• Like 1

Does Carolina Crown have more than one instructor that also works with Avon (IN) HS?

I think the Tarpons Springs contingent has been dispersed. Did any of them follow Howard Weinstein to Blue Stars?

Your question is a fascinating one. I've never really thought about this before.

I seem to remember something about the Crown/Avon thing. Wasn't the bald soloist from Blast on staff at both? I seem to remember a 3 way connection from Star/Blast/Avon, but not sure how many staff might be involved in all 3, or even both.

One can go onto DCI website, click on the Corps websites, and in most cases the Corps website will give a detailed background of each of the Corps current staffs, where they work and where they worked in their past, etc. For example, in this case the question was regarding the Boston Crusaders. If one goes to their website, one can read the current's staff's background.

Edited by BRASSO

One can go onto DCI website, click on the Corps websites, and in most cases the Corps website will give a detailed background of each of the Corps current staffs, where they work and where they worked in their past, etc. For example, in this case the question was regarding the Boston Crusaders. If one goes to their website, one can read the current's staff's background.

Yeah, but that requires me to put in some effort, and I'd prefer to have info just handed to me. :tongue:

The Blue Devils used to (and I believe still) share loads of techs and instructors with James Logan HS in Union City, CA

I seem to remember something about the Crown/Avon thing. Wasn't the bald soloist from Blast on staff at both? I seem to remember a 3 way connection from Star/Blast/Avon, but not sure how many staff might be involved in all 3, or even both.

The "bald soloist" you referred to is Ben Harloff. As you may have guessed, he is the younger brother of Carolina Crown brass caption head Matt Harloff. Ben is a high brass tech with Carolina Crown. As far as his school affiliations I think he used to be the director at a high school in Minnesota but I don't know his current whereabouts.

On a side note, anyone who has spent any time around Carolina Crown when both Matt and Ben are present, can tell you that they can sometimes be an endless source of comedy. :tongue:

• Like 1

I think most of the Blue Stars guys are at Tarpon Springs, because there has been discussion about their last couple of shows coming from there.

And yes to whoever said a lot of the BD staff is at James Logan HS, that's why they're also so dominant in WBA competition. They have very much the same system as Devs.

Interesting question, but I'm not sure if it means much in the longer run. If an instructor has ambitions to move to a larger HS or to the College level or to go from one DC level to another, I don't think one can turn down this opportunity and thus the connection becomes broken, but maybe you get a better replacement. What difference does it make whether the DC's staff all teach at the same school or not, other than it's statistically interesting but probably a moving target? Drum Corps whack-a -mole? Arguably diversity can get you good results. Nevertheless, If someone has answers to the question, I still want to hear them.

Kevin