Which corps have several staff members from the same high school?

Does Carolina Crown have more than one instructor that also works with Avon (IN) HS?

I think the Tarpons Springs contingent has been dispersed. Did any of them follow Howard Weinstein to Blue Stars?

Your question is a fascinating one. I've never really thought about this before.

In addition to Matt Harloff, Jennifer House Hinshaw teaches dance at Avon HS and is one of the choreographers for Crown's guard. (Husband Richard is the new drill designer for Cavaliers !) I think Michael Townsend also works with Avon.

I know some of the Crown staff also works with Carmel HS (Mattie Follo, Rosie Queen Miller, Michael Townsend, Laura Gaspar, Keith Potter).

Tarpon and Blue Stars share/used to share:

Frank Sullivan (music designer for both)

Kevin Ford (Head director at Tarpon, used to write drill for both)

Robert Barfield (assistant director at Tarpon, Visual Consultant for BS)

Johnny Zollo (Visual Caption head @ Tarpon, Instructor with Blue Stars)

The "bald soloist" you referred to is Ben Harloff. As you may have guessed, he is the younger brother of Carolina Crown brass caption head Matt Harloff. Ben is a high brass tech with Carolina Crown. As far as his school affiliations I think he used to be the director at a high school in Minnesota but I don't know his current whereabouts.

On a side note, anyone who has spent any time around Carolina Crown when both Matt and Ben are present, can tell you that they can sometimes be an endless source of comedy. :tongue:

Oh man, Ben Harloff is hilarious. I've never met Matt, but Ben was a tech for the corps I marched, and even though I was in the battery, we were often staged near the mellos or the trumpets, and he would make some of the funniest comments I've ever heard.

• Like 2

The "bald soloist" you referred to is Ben Harloff. As you may have guessed, he is the younger brother of Carolina Crown brass caption head Matt Harloff. Ben is a high brass tech with Carolina Crown. As far as his school affiliations I think he used to be the director at a high school in Minnesota but I don't know his current whereabouts.

On a side note, anyone who has spent any time around Carolina Crown when both Matt and Ben are present, can tell you that they can sometimes be an endless source of comedy. :tongue:

Thanks for the information. I just remembered at one of the shows a few years ago, someone had mentioned the soloist from blast, referring to the "bald" kid coming down on the chair, was affiliated with Crown and Star. I am guessing then it is his older brother that is affiliated with Avon school and Crown(with a past with Star as well). I have to say I was totally amazed with Ben Harloff in Blast. And I didn't mean any offense by the word "bald". it is just there were quite a few solo parts, and that kid was the only one that was bald/shaved head if I remember right. But I'll say wow, in a cast of spectacular musicians, that kid really blew me away.

Interesting question, but I'm not sure if it means much in the longer run. If an instructor has ambitions to move to a larger HS or to the College level or to go from one DC level to another, I don't think one can turn down this opportunity and thus the connection becomes broken, but maybe you get a better replacement. What difference does it make whether the DC's staff all teach at the same school or not, other than it's statistically interesting but probably a moving target? Drum Corps whack-a -mole? Arguably diversity can get you good results. Nevertheless, If someone has answers to the question, I still want to hear them.

Kevin

Kevin, yes there are always going to be changes, and as shown from the switches of Tarpon Springs from Boston to Blue Stars as people have mentioned already. I was more interested in just finding out how many corps have a group of staff all from the same school, it is always fun to check out videos of the marching bands online as well, and see if there are comparisons between the corps and the band programs. I know it also makes sense when multiple people can ride together. Also I think things run a little bit smoother when you have several people that have worked together for longer lengths of time on staff together.

Yeah, but that requires me to put in some effort, and I'd prefer to have info just handed to me. :tongue:

Haha... well knowing this, you appear to have the makings to become a very good TV anchor there, Michael.

Edited by BRASSO

The vast majority of Academy's drum staff all work at Ruben S. Ayala high school. Ayala took home the gold at WBA Championships this year, breaking an 11 year streak of James Logan high school. Expecting good things from Academy's line.

I believe The Mandarins' drum staff is mostly Pulse Indoor staff. I know its not a high school, but its still a fairly reputable organization.

Edited by littlebirdy

Oh man, Ben Harloff is hilarious. I've never met Matt, but Ben was a tech for the corps I marched, and even though I was in the battery, we were often staged near the mellos or the trumpets, and he would make some of the funniest comments I've ever heard.

Please don't encourage Ben. That's all we need....... :tongue:

• Like 1

The vast majority of Academy's drum staff all work at Ruben S. Ayala high school. Ayala took home the gold at WBA Championships this year, breaking an 11 year streak of James Logan high school. Expecting good things from Academy's line.

I believe The Mandarins' drum staff is mostly Pulse Indoor staff. I know its not a high school, but its still a fairly reputable organization.

Wow!

Ayala has been really good every time I've seen them over the years. I'm glad that Academy has their drum staff!