Sorry for the insanely noob question but....

Ch1k3n

So after I learned about DCI and a mellophone, I decided to try one out. I got one out that our band had one upstairs (a nice yamaha :thumbup:) and played some on it. I already knew it was tuned in F, and started learning the new fingerings (from the Bb fingerings i'm used to.) After successfully playing the mellophone solo from the beginning of Phantom's 2011 program :devil:, I decided I really liked the sound and feel of the mellophone compared with a trumpet. it just feels more refined and smooth. When I looked on ebay for what mellophones go for nowadays, I saw there were "mellophone mouthpieces". Which brings me to the question, "What is the difference between a trumpet and a mellophone mouthpiece?" I played the mellophone on a trumpet mouthpiece, and it sounded just fine to me.

Thanks!

Edited by Ch1k3n

"What is the difference between a trumpet and a mellophone mouthpiece?" I played the mellophone on a trumpet mouthpiece, and it sounded just fine to me.

To obtain a characteristic tone, the mellophone mpc has a significantly deeper cup, which may be V-shaped.

Although the shanks are identical, the body of the mello mpc is almost an inch shorter. Which means the backbore is only about half as long.

The trumpet mpc might sound "just fine" to you, but it cannot produce the full mid-register sound used in contemporary hornlines.

But in the 60s and 70s, most of us used trumpet mpcs. Mellophones were usually a small section, used soloistically rather than as a workhorse ensemble voice.

• Like 1