Soooo, who has openings

As people have stated above, if you don't have what it takes to do a WC/OC corps, try DCA for a season or two. There are many corps out there that have holes (pretty much all DCA corps). And the cost of marching is a lot lower.

For many, no matter what area of age, a DCA corps is not considered an option; but rather a destination. Being involved in the activity is what is important.

According to the corps website, Pioneer is still looking for high brass players and mallet percussion. :thumbup:

The days of sticking a horn in a kid's hand and pampering them through the summer are long over.

(Standing in a line at first camp)

Instructor: "Hi there-- ____, is it? What do you play?"

Complete Drum Corps Rookie: "Saxophone, sir."

Instructor: "Excellent, we can work with that. Congratulations, you're now a euphonium player; take this music and go stand over there."

The exchange above wasn't fictional, as I was the next one to step up to the table after said sax player. The instructor was Rick S., and the date was the December 1983 camp. That sax player worked his butt off, nailed a Jim Ott Trophy in his first year of playing, and put in four incredible years with the Red Team (84-87); he's pretty evident on the '87 DVD.

Man I miss local membership recruiting...

Edited by TRacer
  • Like 3

Teal Sound have a few brass places, not many tho.

As people have stated above, if you don't have what it takes to do a WC/OC corps, try DCA for a season or two. There are many corps out there that have holes (pretty much all DCA corps). And the cost of marching is a lot lower.

Not just cheaper, but easier on the schedule. DCA corps are weekends-only groups, so members can hold jobs during the week. On that note, I'll point out that my corps Shenandoah Sound is the only corps in the Washington DC area and we have brass and pit holes.

• Like 1

For many, no matter what area of age, a DCA corps is not considered an option; but rather a destination. Being involved in the activity is what is important.

As a side-note, The Kilties do have one snare, one mellophone, two color guard and one keyboard position open for application; should have some area of performance experience and "chops". CLICK HERE!!

• Like 1

When did they begin ? I must have not been around for those days.

It was happening back in the late 90's I know for fact.

I saw a post on the Cavaliers site in the spring of 1999 saying they were looking to fill a mellophone hole (now remember, the internet was no where near what it is today). I emailed them and said I was interested, although my only brass experience was in 7th grade when I played french horn (pretty badly). They said no problem, as long as I could get to a camp and then move-ins, they'd teach me everything I'd need to know (I already knew how to march).

Couldn't convince my parents to send me up to Rosemont at 15 years old though.

how do I say this politely, as a huge DCA fan:

there is a forum here for DCAcorps to recruit in. This however isn't that forum.

No offense to my DCA friends, but you'd raise royal hell if a DCI corps came into that forum to recruit......so why is it ok here for you?

( yes, I expect to get #### for saying this, red marks etc....but as a former DCA performer and instructor, and a huge DCA fan, I get really ####### sick of the double standards)

• Like 7

to follow up...yes, I will defend DCA if people in here bash it, as I do when DCA people bash DCI over there. That's different.

"Pretty much all DCA corps"?

How about this? I've been to DCA Finals about 8 times in my life and I don't think I've ever seen a DCA corps without NOTICABLE HOLES on the field the night of FINALS.