How intense were rivalries?

no luck with the Sept 5th score ... I'll check my DCN's sometime to see if I can find it ...

I know this was posted a few months ago, but apparently somebody was looking for these scores:

September 5, 1964 Pittsfield, MA

Cavaliers 82.016

Boston Crusaders 80.733

St. Mary's Cardinals 76.616

Magnificent Yankees 71.95

I.C. Reveries 66.10

The rivalries were intense between De La Salle Oaklands and Toronto Optimists late 60’s to mid 70’s. We guard girls would go to their rehearsals and overhear what they said about each other; oh my! Meanwhile, in the Junior B circuit, London Midlanders and Scarborough Firefighters had an intense rivalry 1967 – 1970 that I was privy to for 2 years! The antics, the threats, the stare, the glare, oh my! Fortunately, many of us became friends in ensuing years :)

I still take abuse from some Optimists. I'm looking at you Scotty, Ric... Having fromerly been the section leader of the Optimist alumni corps drumline only modified things in one way - they bought the beer;<)

Regards,

John

Oaklands 77-80

I still take abuse from some Optimists. I'm looking at you Scotty, Ric... Having fromerly been the section leader of the Optimist alumni corps drumline only modified things in one way - they bought the beer;<)

Regards,

John

Oaklands 77-80

Sarnia Lionettes and Sarnia Marching Angels had intense rivalry same as Edmonton All Girls and Alberta All Girls (same city too) ... no-one crossed the line until winterguard :D

edit: After a guard contest a few months ago, we went to a pub. The long table was represented by former members of Edmonton Girls, Alberta Girls, 1st Canadian Regiment, Seattle Imperials, Blue Devils, Blue Knights and current members of Escalade and Vintage Winter Guards. We had a great time!

Edited by lindap

I remember both my mother and father telling me thay the rivalry between De La Salle and Optimists to be pretty out of hand, like if you gpt on the subway you'd take off your corps jacket for fear of starting something, i think some kept them on to do just that.... also they rehearsed different nights so often opposing corps members would go watch and jeer or try to overhear. I think to a lesser extent there were rivalries with Cardinals of precious blood by they werre pretty new to open and not competitively close to del or optimists. A couple years later it was between Oakland Crusaders and Seneca Optimist... untill both of thier ultimate demise.....

• 2 months later...

Yes I remember intense rivialry between Del and Optimist and La Salle Cadets (being a French Corps never helped either!!--just sayin!!)---In 1975 when we went to Anahiem--we where the first Del guys down there--all our predescisors where Optimist guys--------also worth mentioning was Opti-Knight--Dutchmen rivialry--almost Guelph vs Kitchener in anything--roller skating clubs--hockey!!! I believe anything competition wise will have some factions of abrasivelness. It is human nature.

• 7 years later...

Our rivalry (Royal Coachmen) was with Lakeview Shoreliners and later Imperial Regiment. Was no big deal and I think we got along quite well. I hated losing to them and finally beat IR a few times in 1976. St. Johnsburg Blue Sabers had a rivalry with us but we never thought to much of it since we only saw them in parades. When they went on the field one year they were not so good.