DCI Fan Network 2012

I think the problems people have had has to do with their computer. My pentium 4 computer would lag so i built a quad core and it streams perfect.

No. tongue.gif

I think the problems people have had has to do with their computer. My pentium 4 computer would lag so i built a quad core and it streams perfect.

No. tongue.gif

i7 930 processor with 12 GB of ram here and FiOS for the internet connection.

The few problems I had here last year were problems that DCI had with streaming configurations. I'm not sure what other problems other people were having.

• Like 1

Since the 2012 season Fan Network should be up in the next couple of months I was wondering what are you wanting to see this year from the DCI team? My hope is that there will be more shows on demand and live.

More of everything! More shows, more insights, more recaps, more feedback, more Boo...okay, so maybe we don't need more Boo...

• Like 1

I loved the designer commentary tracks on the shows. It'd be terrific to hear more of that. Might be cool to do coordinate some videos with judge commentary overlaid (like the DVDs of not-so-old). Other than that, keeping up what they've already provided me: a great resource for viewing shows live and just after when I can't be at the show. I love what the Fan Network has developed into, and each year stability is improved and features are added. Keep up the good work!!

More of everything! More shows, more insights, more recaps, more feedback, more Boo...okay, so maybe we don't need more Boo...

If I 'd like to see Fan Network add another feature,Michael I'd like for them to either telecast live some of the I&E competition, or download some of the competition for fan's future viewing... maybe from the champions.

Some of these solos, quartets, etc are positively outstanding in my opinion. It demonstrates how much talent there is in DCI Corps and some of these fine and entertaining performances should be seen by much wider audiences, imo. Just a thought anyway.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 5

I have to say I like it the way it is. The broadcasts have been good. I see that some want more "multi-cameras".....however,

that COSTS, and DCI, like all organizations, is pinching pennies. I think the sound quality has been pretty good, and video

has been clear. I also LIKE the fact that there is no commentary, and I can tell by the crowd if they bought the show; I know some

want commentary, but I like it this way. I have always wanted to see a major sports event on TV with no commentary.....some of the

sports announcers believe they have such insight, when I find myself wanting them to be quiet...lol.

It is great when I can barbecue a steak on my back porch, and go in and watch a major drum corps show broadcast live on

my computer. I would like to see drum corps shorten the time from the last note of the show until the scores (especially in

a day and age when full retreats are rare), but that is not a broadcast issue.

GB

If I 'd like to see Fan Network add another feature,Michael I'd like for them to either telecast live some of the I&E competition, or download some of the competition for fan's future viewing... maybe from the champions.

Some of these solos, quartets, etc are positively outstanding in my opinion. It demonstrates how much talent there is in DCI Corps and some of these fine and entertaining performances should be seen by much wider audiences, imo. Just a thought anyway.

The I&E committee is meeting in Indy this weekend. I'll pass this on to them.

• Like 2

I have to say I like it the way it is. The broadcasts have been good. I see that some want more "multi-cameras".....however,

that COSTS, and DCI, like all organizations, is pinching pennies.

GB

I'm doing the video for the 2012 Live Streaming from Stanford, and the 2012 Walnut shows (as I have been doing the last few years). They will both be single camera shoots. I'm doing both shows by myself, as that's all it takes. I wouldn't say that DCI is "pinching pennies" on video, though, as all the people shooting video are getting paid. As a professional videographer (and the Blue Devils video/audio historical archivist) I too would love to see more multi-cam shows. HOWEVER ... the costs for going from a single camera to a multi-camera shoot shoots WAY up ... FAST. It's not just having more than one camera, you have to have run a LOT of wires (or have very high quality - read VERY EXPENSIVE - wireless video transmitters/receivers). You have to have a camera-person for each camera, and if there is a roving camera, someone to coil/uncoil the wire behind the camera person. There has to be a very experienced person to mix the videos in real time, and there needs to be a producer to orchestrate everything. ALSO, to do good videos, the producer should interact with a staff member of each corps, to make sure they get the "good shots". Oh, yes ... audio. There should be an audio person as well. And then there's the obligatory "crane camera" that flies over the performers. That's a $30k rig by itself, if done right.

Multi-cam is a BIG job ... and to do it right you need a seasoned video crew.

That is all!

• Like 3

I'm doing the video for the 2012 Live Streaming from Stanford, and the 2012 Walnut shows (as I have been doing the last few years). They will both be single camera shoots. I'm doing both shows by myself, as that's all it takes. I wouldn't say that DCI is "pinching pennies" on video, though, as all the people shooting video are getting paid. As a professional videographer (and the Blue Devils video/audio historical archivist) I too would love to see more multi-cam shows. HOWEVER ... the costs for going from a single camera to a multi-camera shoot shoots WAY up ... FAST. It's not just having more than one camera, you have to have run a LOT of wires (or have very high quality - read VERY EXPENSIVE - wireless video transmitters/receivers). You have to have a camera-person for each camera, and if there is a roving camera, someone to coil/uncoil the wire behind the camera person. There has to be a very experienced person to mix the videos in real time, and there needs to be a producer to orchestrate everything. ALSO, to do good videos, the producer should interact with a staff member of each corps, to make sure they get the "good shots". Oh, yes ... audio. There should be an audio person as well. And then there's the obligatory "crane camera" that flies over the performers. That's a $30k rig by itself, if done right.

Multi-cam is a BIG job ... and to do it right you need a seasoned video crew.

That is all!

I'll admit I've often #####ed to myself about not having as many multi-cam options. Your explanation makes complete sense as to why that is. I have never really thought about the difference in cost. Thanks for the insight!

• Like 2

No. tongue.gif

i7 930 processor with 12 GB of ram here and FiOS for the internet connection.

The few problems I had here last year were problems that DCI had with streaming configurations. I'm not sure what other problems other people were having.

For some unexplained reason my computer screen always goes blank when INT comes on. I was told that INT has had a very dark show the last couple of years, but can it be really that dark ?