Rochester, NY

So there wasn't a corps out of Bradford then?

Hey, how about 84th Bucktail Regiment?

Erie,...........they were started as a junior corps project right after a bunch of Thunderbirds went to DCI in Ithica,..............

So there wasn't a corps out of Bradford then?

Hey, how about 84th Bucktail Regiment?

not sure about Bradford,...........the 84th was out of Emporium, PA in the middle of the Allegheny National Forest,..............they were named after the 84th Regiment, a civil war sharpshooter detachment out of Cameron County that wore bucktails pinned to their hats,......they were nicknamed..........84th Bucktail Regiment.

All the corps on my list were from the City of Erie,...........if I added corps from the surrounding areas, the list might double..........?

Drum Corps City USA

Cadets of Greece

Alpine Girls

Mighty Liberators

Firebirds

Patriots

Northmen

Fusion

Crusaders

Empire Statesmen

I know I missed more

Some of us old guys remember the Rochester Grey Knights being a pretty good corps.......

Drum Corps City USA

Cadets of Greece

Alpine Girls

Mighty Liberators

Firebirds

Patriots

Northmen

Fusion

Crusaders

Empire Statesmen

I know I missed more

Rochester Phoenix - short lived (1975 and 1976) but something to see (and to compete against).

Racine is by Presidential decree; The Drum Corps Capitol of the World.

This decree dates from the late 60s. At the time, the active corps in Racine were:

Boys of 76

Kilties

Kiltie Kadets

Racine Explorer Scouts

Racine Junior Scouts

Racine Junior Junior Scouts

Ambassadears

Ambassadear Fawns

and the multi VFW Nat'l champion Elks Band

and 10 miles South in Kenosha were the Kingsmen seniors, the Queensmen, Queensmen Squires, Shoreliners, and Shoreliner Cadets.

Rochester had a bunch of corps, but was a much larger metro area.

On a per capita basis, some small towns had a huge percentage of their kids marching in the local corps.

Most notable is Osage IA, pop. 3500. The Precisionnaires placed 14th at DCI in 1975.

In the 60s, Michigan's Upper Peninsula had a whole circuit of tinytown corps. It included:

Munising [pop. 2500] Silver Echoes

L'Anse [pop. 2100] Golden Eagles

Ontanagon [pop. 1800] Mountaineers

The Mountaineers also had an active alumni corps (clad in Hawaiian shirts!) early in this century.

And Bessemer MI [pop. 1900] has been the home of Marty's Goldenaires, a sizable all-male parade/exhibition unit, since 1950.

Was that Johnson who decreed Racine? He was a drinker wasn't he? LOL

Just kidding.

This decree dates from the late 60s. At the time, the active corps in Racine were:

Boys of 76

Kilties

Kiltie Kadets

Racine Explorer Scouts

Racine Junior Scouts

Racine Junior Junior Scouts

Ambassadears

Ambassadear Fawns

and the multi VFW Nat'l champion Elks Band

and 10 miles South in Kenosha were the Kingsmen seniors, the Queensmen, Queensmen Squires, Shoreliners, and Shoreliner Cadets.

Rochester had a bunch of corps, but was a much larger metro area.

Ken...I thought it was in the late 50's, maybe early 60's; when "Ike" was prez.

On a per capita basis, some small towns had a huge percentage of their kids marching in the local corps.

Most notable is Osage IA, pop. 3500. The Precisionnaires placed 14th at DCI in 1975.

In the 60s, Michigan's Upper Peninsula had a whole circuit of tinytown corps. It included:

Munising [pop. 2500] Silver Echoes

L'Anse [pop. 2100] Golden Eagles

Ontanagon [pop. 1800] Mountaineers

The Mountaineers also had an active alumni corps (clad in Hawaiian shirts!) early in this century.

And Bessemer MI [pop. 1900] has been the home of Marty's Goldenaires, a sizable all-male parade/exhibition unit, since 1950.

There was a "pasty-load" of "Yooper" corps. Munising, Marquette, Menominee, Iron Mountain, Ishpeming, Crystal Falls, L'Anse, Ontanagon, Iron River; plus several more.........several even had feeder corps. There was even separate U.P. Legion Championships in early June of every season.