Touring With a Corps as Staff or Volunteer

I may have an opportunity to tour with a World Class finalist corps this summer as a staff member (non-instructional), and since I haven't toured with a corps since my age-out year decades ago, I'm kind of at a loss as to what I might want to consider packing.

I've gone back and read a couple of threads regarding what the kids should bring, but being as we adults aren't going to be doing any basics blocks, I'm wondering if there's any advice any more seasoned staff members or volunteers might be inclined to share. :smile:

Thanks!

I may have an opportunity to tour with a World Class finalist corps this summer as a staff member (non-instructional), and since I haven't toured with a corps since my age-out year decades ago, I'm kind of at a loss as to what I might want to consider packing.

I've gone back and read a couple of threads regarding what the kids should bring, but being as we adults aren't going to be doing any basics blocks, I'm wondering if there's any advice any more seasoned staff members or volunteers might be inclined to share. :smile:

Thanks!

A lot of the stuff that applies to them still applies to you too. Sunblock, hat, hydrate, pack enough underwear, etc. Don't pass up on a chance for a snooze, a hot shower (or a washroom if you're above a certain age!)

Always try to remember what it was like to be their age. Remember your commitment to them comes first, it's why you are there, but take care of yourself too, enjoy the experience and be ready to be in the company of of some kids who will constantly amaze you!

• 1 month later...

I have volunteered for two tours in the past. I would suggest bringing super comfy, cool clothes and shoes that you wouldn't mind getting messed up, as you never know where you will be needed or what you will be doing. Of course you need sleeping gear such as sleeping bag/air mattress (my son has a great, comfy formula here- he sets up his air mattress, then gets into his sleeping bag on top of that) towel, sunscreen, etc. Depending upon how long you will be gone, you should find out what the planned laundry days are and pack accordingly. If you can handle wearing sandals, I would recommend investing in a super comfy pair of athletic type sandals, and just avoid the whole sock situation altogether if you can. If you will be riding the bus, it's a good idea to have a "bus bag" with some essentials in it such as toothbrush/paste, facewash, and fresh underwear/comfy clothes so that you can wash your face and brush your teeth in the stadium bathroom and change clothes before you get on the bus. (most corps do NOT use the bathrooms on their busses, not even the sink). I HATED getting on the bus to go to sleep with dirty teeth/face and in the clothes I'd been sweating in all day. Bring a few snacks for the bus if you are so inclined, and perhaps an extra blanket for the bus. Also, I brought along those Starbuck single packs of coffee in my bag so that I could just get hot water and have my coffee anywhere! So whatever your creature comforts are, I'd say bring them, within reason and to still pack as light as possible.