Cadets Offer $1500. in tour credits for mellophone soloist

A complete slap in the face to the current mellophone section. Some of which are fine college musicians, future premier educators, and several with a performance degree partially under their belt.

But seems they might not be right for what is needed. Different players have different strengths. One player might be technically brilliant, but not have the same sort of lyrical sensibility required. Drum corps also complicates things a bit, since players making the line need to be able to move and have endurance (especially a group like Cadets), which is a different skill set than the park and blow demands of a heavily featured soloist.

I don't think it is necessarily a slap in the face... I mean, there are some of the kids in the section that are probably rock solid from a leadership perspective, or from all sorts of other abilities, including playing, but just are not right for THIS role.

Anyway, when you're on that level, why give a featured role to the kid that might excels in all the other areas except for the exact one that is needed for the performance role? It is not the touchy feely sort of thing to do... but the performance level here is incredibly high. Kids should be treated as professionals on this level.

• Like 4

It's a huge slap in the face. And downright rude to the members already in the hornline. Especially those who are paying over twice that amount to march.

• Like 5

But seems they might not be right for what is needed. Different players have different strengths. One player might be technically brilliant, but not have the same sort of lyrical sensibility required. Drum corps also complicates things a bit, since players making the line need to be able to move and have endurance (especially a group like Cadets), which is a different skill set than the park and blow demands of a heavily featured soloist.

I don't think it is necessarily a slap in the face... I mean, there are some of the kids in the section that are probably rock solid from a leadership perspective, or from all sorts of oter abilities, including playing, but just are not right for THIS role.

Anyway, when you're on that level, why give a featured role to the kid that might excels in all the other areas except for the exact one that is needed for the performance role? It is not the touchy feely sort of thing to do... but the performance level here is incredibly high. Kids should be treated as professionals on this level.

I didn't say it doesn't make competetive sense, I said it was a slap in the face. It can be both, and a lot of life is managing egos and that will be hard to do now.

• Like 2

I'm prepared for this to be one of the most scrutinized DCI soli of all time.

Edited by scvjesse
  • Like 5

The article does mention that current members are allowed to audition. But it also gives a person who may not have been financially able or may have been unsure if they would be able to march for some other reason a chance to march. I see no wrong in it.

• Like 4

ZOMGCONTROVERSYINTHEOFFSEASON!!!!

Reading the article, it appears an alumni is providing the $1500, not the YEA/Cadet organization per se and is also open to members of the current mello line. Not sure I'm getting the outrage, but perhaps I'm too focused on hockey at the moment.

• Like 6

ZOMGCONTROVERSYINTHEOFFSEASON!!!!

Reading the article, it appears an alumni is providing the $1500, not the YEA/Cadet organization per se and is also open to members of the current mello line. Not sure I'm getting the outrage, but perhaps I'm too focused on hockey at the moment.

well there is plenty of outrage to be had about the PHI/PIT game today... you can just use some of that =)