Cadets Offer $1500. in tour credits for mellophone soloist

oh please, name 1

I'm leaning toward dans's assesment here. This one ranks in my top 5 for sure (and yet here I am participating in it....yikes).

Edited by bmjfelts1988
  • Like 1

I'm leaning toward dans's assesment here. This one ranks in my top 5 for sure (and yet here I am participating in it....yikes).

I'm ashamed at myself for responding to this nonsensical non-issue that was created by some that have way too much free time on their hands!

• Like 1

I'm ashamed at myself for responding to this nonsensical non-issue that was created by some that have way too much free time on their hands!

Me too..............(but someone has to stand against the nonsense).

Edited by bmjfelts1988

No, no, no, no, no, no, no. Take it from someone who's read the forum from the beginning . . . this isn't even in the top 1000.

A few gems I can remember (sorry, no links):

2004 - A complaint that Carolina Crown's "Bohemia" show would influence Crown members to become real bohemians. Little known fact: Over half of Crown's 2011 membership has died from either tuberculosis or alcohol poisoning from drinking too much absinthe.

2005 - Complaint that Cadet's Kill Bill inspired uniforms and pre-show music might encourage members to watch evil violent movies . . . like Kill Bill. Poster seemed unaware that neither the outfit nor the music were original to Kill Bill.

2007ish(?) - Complaint the fake wooden rifles and sabres used by drum corps keep sensitive artistic types from embracing the activity.

2008 - Complaint that the highly stylized violence in Phantom's show might horrify sensitive artistic types, kids, etc. who apparently came to drum corps shows expecting rainbows and lollipops. Poster had apparently not noticed the red silk blood fountains in Cavies' Samurai show.

2010 - Marc Sylvester wears a Che Guevara t-shirt. Chaos ensues on DCP.

2011 - Vanguard's "The Devil's Staircase" is "a lie" because it's theologically unsound. I don't remember if this was a separate thread, or if it just came up within a thread, but it's worth mentioning.

• Like 2

I hope you believe loyalty and work ethic are also attributes worthy of reward. That is where I begin to question the wisdom of this approach.

Someone above said that making this type of offer is a game changer. I have to agree that doing this so overtly, and at this late a stage, is sliding another yard down the slippery slope of devaluing the off season training program. In the same vein, corps have recently been found passing over their own regularly attending, fee paying alternates to fill spots in May or June with fresh talent. The more we reward talent in this manner, the less reward there is for auditioning in November, loyally attending winter camps, and paying all those fees that keep corps alive through those months. My concern is that if we slide too far down that slippery slope, we find too many prospective members opting out of winter camps.

To the defenders of this idea - if it is such a great idea to offer a $1,500 incentive and an open audition in April, why are no other world class corps doing it?

And once again, we have the same blind assumption being made as Johnnyboy. Please tell, how is it that you KNOW that NO OTHER world class corps are DOING or have ever done this (or something LIKE this)?

Stupid answer: Because no other corps has ever made a public announcement about it and that somehow MUST MEAN that no other corps has ever done it.

TRUE answer: Other corps have done it. You just don't know about it because they usually keep quiet about it (you are about to say "to hide it", aren't you.........NO.....not to "hide" anything........but because it's NONE OF YOUR #### BUSINESS!!!!). :doh:

Edited by bmjfelts1988

Here is where I think we fail to define our terms correctly.

Often we look at the term "scholarship" and the term "fincancial aid" as though they are synonymous. They are not. "Scholarships" are a "reward" (generally for some sort of "scholastic achievement" or in the case of drum corps...a specific talent.). "Financial aid" (which is what you are defining) is NOT the same thing as a "scholarship" and is indeed intended to support the need of the one receiving the funds/discount.

These two terms do NOT mean the same thing. To clarify even further....

• A scholarship is designed to meet the need of the institution or organization (as such organization/institution has a need for a skill, talent or scholastic ability that will benefit said organization/institution.
  • Financial aid is designed to meet the need of the student who is simply in need of financial assistance.

Yes, both parties within the use of each term can be benefited. However, one is served more than the other in the case of each term.

To conclude, both types of funds (while similar) do not serve the same purpose and generally come from a completely different budget (which in this case is obviously true, as the Cadet's soloist scholarship came from a doner who specifically requested for the funds to be used in this way).

You see... I see giving away money as giving away money.

There is nothing logical about giving money to people who don't need it.

Two musicians audition for a scholarship. One has no need for the extra money, coming from a wealthy family. The other could really use it to help pay for college, coming from a not so wealthy family. Both are extremely talented and have good auditions. The wealthy student has an audition that is just slightly better. So that student gets the scholarship in a lot of cases.

I have a huge problem with that. It's a part of the whole rich getting richer problem.

But thankfully I have been noticing a lot more scholarships where financial need is a requirement to even audition or apply.

But I'll stop there... because it will turn into a politics debate... and has nothing to do with the $1500 scholarship being offered to a soloist to the Cadets.