Cadets Offer $1500. in tour credits for mellophone soloist

oh please, name 1

prediction threads the second finals scores are announced.

Any of Howdy's threads.

Several of the threads claming DCI needs to restructure in ways that eliminates corps.

the latest incarnation of what was your favorite (insert topic here) threads

and mypersonal fave, old threads being resurrected for the sake of being ressurected

• Like 1

Any of Howdy's threads.

Several of the threads claming DCI needs to restructure in ways that eliminates corps.

and mypersonal fave, old threads being resurrected for the sake of being ressurected

I love Howdy's threads! It's about time for another one...

I love Howdy's threads! It's about time for another one...

only if he makes a new screen name since the old one is banned

• Like 1

I'll assume this statement got 10 green thingies because of the 2nd sentence. because the 1st sentence is just not true :)

Unfortunate this was the first response... :rolleyes:

Picture this scenario:

-You volunteer at a Non-profit, and by volunteer, I mean you work about 50 hours a week there. You end up spending 3 to 4 grand every year volunteering for this non-profit. You don't really mind because it is what you love and you have a background in it (you are working on a college degree in non-profit business administration).

-The non-profit decides that they are looking for someone with a little bit more experience in a certain aspect of the job.

-The non-profit posts ads on craigslist and their website actively looking for someone for this role.

-The non-profit offers money, not enough to cover all the costs of the job, but more than enough to make people that weren't interested before, interested now.

-The job could have been tailored a little bit to fit your strengths, but they still decide to go in another direction.

-You see the person who hasn't put in the time and effort you have, making more money than you are, for a job you could have done fairly well.

-You are told to "be a team player" and swallow your pride, because bringing in this other guy is better for the health of the company.

My question. Do you feel betrayed? Even better, does the 18-22 year old you feel betrayed? I'd say the majority of the time the answer would be yes. Why do I think this? Because we all face real life scenarios on a daily basis, just like this.

• Like 1

Any of Howdy's threads.

I really didn't expect you to cite examples, I was simply making the point that this thread is absurd!

Picture this scenario:

-You volunteer at a Non-profit, and by volunteer, I mean you work about 50 hours a week there. You end up spending 3 to 4 grand every year volunteering for this non-profit. You don't really mind because it is what you love and you have a background in it (you are working on a college degree in non-profit business administration).

-The non-profit decides that they are looking for someone with a little bit more experience in a certain aspect of the job.

-The non-profit posts ads on craigslist and their website actively looking for someone for this role.

-The non-profit offers money, not enough to cover all the costs of the job, but more than enough to make people that weren't interested before, interested now.

-The job could have been tailored a little bit to fit your strengths, but they still decide to go in another direction.

-You see the person who hasn't put in the time and effort you have, making more money than you are, for a job you could have done fairly well.

-You are told to "be a team player" and swallow your pride, because bringing in this other guy is better for the health of the company.

My question. Do you feel betrayed? Even better, does the 18-22 year old you feel betrayed? I'd say the majority of the time the answer would be yes. Why do I think this? Because we all face real life scenarios on a daily basis, just like this.

being on the board for a few non profits I can tell you ...it happens all the time

being on the board for a few non profits I can tell you ...it happens all the time

Exactly.

I know it happens. Hell, I even know that we should be strong enough to rise above this. The problem with that is that the human ego is a hard thing to control. Especially with young adults.

Picture this scenario:

I would say............"That is how life works, especially in any elite activity. Therefore, I should just do my own job to the best of my ability and not worry about what really is none of my business to begin with. Afterall, I had an EQUAL shot at the "higher paid" position as well, and I did not make the final cut".

That's how I would see it. Would I be disappointed? Absolutely. But, that's just how life works. Some people get the good breaks. Some people don't.

Edited by bmjfelts1988

Exactly.

I know it happens. Hell, I even know that we should be strong enough to rise above this. The problem with that is that the human ego is a hard thing to control. Especially with young adults.

A very true statement. However, if you are youth in a very elite and competitive activity such as drum corps, this is an area of maturity in which one can either look at as an opporunity to grow by or fold and cry foul. I would like to believe that The Cadets are an organization that is filled with mature top of the food chain young adults who though may be disappointed at not getting some of the biggest breaks in the activity, will be grateful that they are just able to be a part of it at all.....

because.............

......there are a lot of kids who also didn't get the break of making into the Cadets at all and would love to be in their shoes as just one of the other 149 who got a spot in the drum corps....full tuition or not.

Edited by bmjfelts1988