Cadets Offer $1500. in tour credits for mellophone soloist

Picture this scenario:

-You volunteer at a Non-profit, and by volunteer, I mean you work about 50 hours a week there. You end up spending 3 to 4 grand every year volunteering for this non-profit. You don't really mind because it is what you love and you have a background in it (you are working on a college degree in non-profit business administration).

-The non-profit decides that they are looking for someone with a little bit more experience in a certain aspect of the job.

-The non-profit posts ads on craigslist and their website actively looking for someone for this role.

-The non-profit offers money, not enough to cover all the costs of the job, but more than enough to make people that weren't interested before, interested now.

-The job could have been tailored a little bit to fit your strengths, but they still decide to go in another direction.

-You see the person who hasn't put in the time and effort you have, making more money than you are, for a job you could have done fairly well.

-You are told to "be a team player" and swallow your pride, because bringing in this other guy is better for the health of the company.

My question. Do you feel betrayed? Even better, does the 18-22 year old you feel betrayed? I'd say the majority of the time the answer would be yes. Why do I think this? Because we all face real life scenarios on a daily basis, just like this.

We can't control people's feelings. It's onething if a cadet mellophone feels like its a slap in the face and he feels bitter about it. But I argue this whole concept and the way it set up is not a slap in the face and respects the ability of new and old to audition. You are also assuming in your scenario that the person isn't good enough for the new position. And if that was the case I would imagine noone in the corps or non-profit in your case would want to "water down" the solo/job just so no one feels offended by the level of diffuculty asked of the performer.

Also there is a mellophone quota in the corps to be filled so this new position is an empty hole. Even if they had a current member fill the soloist position they would still need another mellophone player. Only way to do that is call an audition and why not call an audition for the soloist position instead of the other way around? It's the only way to fill the current hole and this is regardless of the assumed talents of the soloist or the current members. But you see how they would HAVE to hold a mello audition anyway? Even if a current member got the spot?

Also it could be that the Current mellophone members are over qualified for the position. Perhaps the soloist doesn't march and they need their strongest marchers/players in the normal ranks of the corps. Because we do not know the full qualifications, responsibilities, and expectations of the soloist you cannot judge anything or anyone.

a real slap in the face would be auditions that replace a vet or a contracted member which is not the case.

Edited by charlie1223

I really didn't expect you to cite examples, I was simply making the point that this thread is absurd!

that it's absurd is what keeps me entertained in here

that it's absurd is what keeps me entertained in here

it never dawned on me until now that the Blue Devils did a show based "A Day in the life of DCP" a few years back.

And talking about their finances since someone called me out about calling out their financial stability.

I have a right to be a bit skeptical with an organization that has changed names and changed locations as many times as the organization has under George Hopkins. The latest change being USSBA to USBands. Why exactly did they feel the need to change the name???

It almost seems like they are running from something. But hey, it's just a hunch.

Blast away!

• Like 3

And talking about their finances since someone called me out about calling out their financial stability.

I have a right to be a bit skeptical with an organization that has changed names and changed locations as many times as the organization has under George Hopkins. The latest change being USSBA to USBands. Why exactly did they feel the need to change the name???

It almost seems like they are running from something. But hey, it's just a hunch.

Blast away!

"and the one day when the lady met this FELLow....and they KNEWWWW that it was MUCH MORRRE than a "HUNCH"..........."

(sorry...no point or hidden meaning to that at all....just random "absurdity". carry on)

I see this as a personal insult to the section. Look at it this way:

Did Phantom put out a flyer to be their featured soloist for "Into The Light"? If the staff at Cadets thought that anyone in the section could handle being the soloist they wouldn't have made the choice to offer the spot outside of the drum corps.

Edited by SopSauceBaus
  • Like 2

Picture this scenario:

-You volunteer at a Non-profit, and by volunteer, I mean you work about 50 hours a week there. You end up spending 3 to 4 grand every year volunteering for this non-profit. You don't really mind because it is what you love and you have a background in it (you are working on a college degree in non-profit business administration).

-The non-profit decides that they are looking for someone with a little bit more experience in a certain aspect of the job.

-The non-profit posts ads on craigslist and their website actively looking for someone for this role.

-The non-profit offers money, not enough to cover all the costs of the job, but more than enough to make people that weren't interested before, interested now.

-The job could have been tailored a little bit to fit your strengths, but they still decide to go in another direction.

-You see the person who hasn't put in the time and effort you have, making more money than you are, for a job you could have done fairly well.

-You are told to "be a team player" and swallow your pride, because bringing in this other guy is better for the health of the company.

My question. Do you feel betrayed? Even better, does the 18-22 year old you feel betrayed? I'd say the majority of the time the answer would be yes. Why do I think this? Because we all face real life scenarios on a daily basis, just like this.

Two problems I see with this.

One. You leave out the fact that you are also welcome to prove that you DO in fact have what it takes for this job.

Two. What about your co-worker who's in the same boat as you? Who gets to decide whose strengths the position is tailored to?

No it IS a slap in the face. Did Phantom put out a flyer to be their featured soloist for "Into The Light"? If the staff at Cadets thought that anyone in the section could handle being the soloist they wouldn't have made the choice to offer the spot outside of the drum corps.

Oh my goodness....:rolleyes:

This thread is...........BEYOND "absurd".

But hey, it's just a hunch.

DCP hunches...

... Exposing the truth since 2005.

I'm curious to know as well...

Is the mello line complete or do they still have some spots to fill anyway?

Perhaps someone with insider information has a hunch.