Cadets Offer $1500. in tour credits for mellophone soloist

Is it time to close this thread yet? I mean, nothing we say is going to have any affect on the choices of the Cadets. Please put an end to this absurdity.

Tell you what. I'm out. I am officially removing myself from any further activity on this thread. My points have been made. If someone wants to "rebut" me further (Johnnyboy), send me a PM if it means that much to you. Otherwise, I'm done. This thread has already wasted way too much of my time.

Edited by bmjfelts1988
  • Like 1

And talking about their finances since someone called me out about calling out their financial stability.

I have a right to be a bit skeptical with an organization that has changed names and changed locations as many times as the organization has under George Hopkins. The latest change being USSBA to USBands. Why exactly did they feel the need to change the name???

It almost seems like they are running from something. But hey, it's just a hunch.

Blast away!

5ycb6h.png

• Like 4

Don't know. If I had to guess it would be a character role. Even then, that's hard to speculate. That spot also has to come from somewhere. So even if it doesn't come from the Mello section, the cap is firm, so someone will be out a spot (that part is an observation, and not a flametastic remark).

Agreed. 150 is the max. Although from what I understand, they are still short a few spots in various sections, so not sure that anyone would have to be kicked off necessarily. Might end up being the case where they use one less in a particular section that has yet to be filled.

Regardless, some folks will cry foul. Others will defend. The sun and gas prices will continue to rise each morning. DCP will be DCP. And this should, by all accounts, be a pretty awesome summer for drum corps.

5ycb6h.png

To be fair... I wasn't relating the scholarship to my skepticism about their financial situation at all. It was really just a delayed reply as to why I don't think the organization is financially sound.

If I were to find a relationship... it would be that scholarship is less than half of the full tuition to march in the corps. Why the hell are they charging so much? And I honestly need to find out what other corps are charging. I haven't marched since 2009, and haven't looked at paying since 2010. Has stuff really gone up that much? Also, it is known that the Cadets are traditionally the most expensive corps to march. Which doesn't make much sense to me, since they have great alumni support, and they can pull funds from USBands and other YEA ventures.

There are just a lot of questions surrounding the organization that never seemed to be answered. What are the reasons for moving the Cadets numerous times? The name changes? Why is USSBA now USBands. Is there financial mismanagement going on?? In trying to save a corps YEA almost put them under by the end of their time under the YEA banner, financially and competitively.

Is it time for George Hopkins to pass the torch to someone else? How many mistakes is he allowed to make???

To be fair... I wasn't relating the scholarship to my skepticism about their financial situation at all. It was really just a delayed reply as to why I don't think the organization is financially sound.

If I were to find a relationship... it would be that scholarship is less than half of the full tuition to march in the corps. Why the hell are they charging so much? And I honestly need to find out what other corps are charging. I haven't marched since 2009, and haven't looked at paying since 2010. Has stuff really gone up that much? Also, it is known that the Cadets are traditionally the most expensive corps to march. Which doesn't make much sense to me, since they have great alumni support, and they can pull funds from USBands and other YEA ventures.

There are just a lot of questions surrounding the organization that never seemed to be answered. What are the reasons for moving the Cadets numerous times? The name changes? Why is USSBA now USBands. Is there financial mismanagement going on?? In trying to save a corps YEA almost put them under by the end of their time under the YEA banner, financially and competitively.

Is it time for George Hopkins to pass the torch to someone else? How many mistakes is he allowed to make???

Sounds like a great topic worthy of its own thread.

Don't forget they changed their logo not too long ago as well. Obviously, they are bordering on financial ruin.

And I'm no business major, but I would think that pulling funds from USBands to use for the Cadets would be bad for USBands. Next think you know, USBands would have to change their logo too.

Also, I find it borderline amusing that you KNOW that Cadets are the most expensive corps to march with, but in the previous sentence, admit that you need to find out what other corps are charging. Not saying you're wrong, but just think you'd be armed with what other corps' dues are before making that assertion.

Edited by chaddyt
  • Like 1

Sounds like a great topic worthy of its own thread.

Don't forget they changed their logo not too long ago as well. Obviously, they are bordering on financial ruin.

And I'm no business major, but I would think that pulling funds from USBands to use for the Cadets would be bad for USBands. Next think you know, USBands would have to change their logo too.

Also, I find it borderline amusing that you KNOW that Cadets are the most expensive corps to march with, but in the previous sentence, admit that you need to find out what other corps are charging. Not saying you're wrong, but just think you'd be armed with what other corps' dues are before making that assertion.

To be fair, it's fairly common knowledge that the Cadets are the most expensive corps to march, tuition wise anyway.

You win. I have never been quoted, partially quoted, misquoted, deciphered, poked etc in any thread as much as this one. I generally like to respond when someone directs a question or comment directly to me, but I just don't have the time to respond to multiple snippets and personal jabs.

My final thoughts on this thread: Maybe I am not clear when I put my thoughts in writing, and for that I apologize, but I stand by my post. I maintain my sense of humor is just fine. This thread is just as valid as any other. Have a good day all.

I'm not so sure about that. Yes the opportunity is being offered to current members of the corps, but they weren't made aware of this until the release came out (as far as I know). Don't you think they have some entitlement to have a shot at the solo first? IMHO the second key fact that you point out has nothing to do with my argument. Sure give the money to the soloist, thats all well and good. All I'm trying to say is that this whole gesture to bring in someone that isn't in the corps already to play a solo doesn't really reflect well on what the staff thinks of the personnel they have at hand. If I was in that section, I'd be pretty peeved.

If I was in that section, I'd be practicing harder.

it never dawned on me until now that the Blue Devils did a show based "A Day in the life of DCP" a few years back.

no. DCP is entertaining...that show was just absurd

:tongue: