BEST OF THE 2012 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

Also loved the people dressed as past winners walking around UD arena before finals. It was cool to see those old uniforms! Wished there had been even more of them. And I might have scared a couple of them as I stlked them to get pictures!

Later,

Mike

BEST SIGNATURE MOVE

Opus 10's 'shimmy'

Love, love, LOVE the quasi 1960's-inspired wiggle that was repeated so effectively throughout Opus 10's AMAZING 7th place show.

And for the record, I was a HUGE fan of Opus 10's entire program: equipment work, movement, staging, soundtrack - everything fit together seamlessly and effectively.

But for me, the standout element of that already great show was, indeed, the 'shimmy. It was a perfect example of a simple move that instantly gave the ensemble a UNIQUE look.

Like the soundtrack to which Opus 10 performed, their signature 'shimmy' was quirky and fun without being silly or over the top. It was, as I said, unique, but it completely fit-in with the rest of the movement work perfectly.

I think word had got around in Dayton about the 'shimmy,' too, because during Opus 10's performance on Saturday night, you could hear a little bit of buzz in the audience every time they delivered their signature move. People must have been whispering to each other, 'THERE'S that cool move I was telling you about...!!!"

A+ Opus 10...!!!

best moment: seeing so many friends, laughing, talking about the 'good ol days' of marching, teaching. for me, it's more about the 'family' than the show.

OMG that Opus 10 Shimmy WAS GREAT!!! It will be memorable for sure. Kinda like last year when Marion Catholic did the neck bobble head thingy!

I TRIED to avoid WGI this year but of course ended up paying for the webcast midway through SW. I absolutely LOVED Carmel. I have no idea how those girls could dance, spin and then give a spoken word performance. I loved all the rifle tosses and the word "catch" being repeated over and over.

Flangan, Flangan, Flangan, where did you get kids that can spin a weapon like that. WOW! That was a clear cut win, in my eyes

Aimachi had a beautiful show but those friggin batons ruined it for me.

Cypress Ind was just beautiful and First Flight having a stronger 2nd start after the malfunction. I still think they should have moved ahead of Fantasia.

Being a southern church kid, who always asked far too many questions, I have to say that I LOVED Pride of Cincinnati. Wonderful show!

SCV has been my favorite guard of late and they were amazing. I know some didn't like the the narrator but I did. Awesome show.

Onyx..... now I absolutely HATED what Onyx did last year but have to say that I enjoyed them this year and think that they deserved the win. And the girl who did the figure skater like horizontal roll/flip thing. JUST WOW!

The negative - I have to say that I am not a fan of the "pre-shows." Most don't work in my opinion. One guard used Dead or Alive's You Spin Me 'Round..... WHY?

I did like the guard that used soundbites from guard shows of years gone by. I can't remember what guard that was but I LOVED them.

Also, from no floor to everyone having a floor to a few without floors (last year), to the floors turned on an angle, to the ripped up segmented floor? UGH!!!!!! I am over it!

Why did Pride even use a floor,it was the exact same color as what was covering the UD arena floor.

I TRIED to avoid WGI this year but of course ended up paying for the webcast midway through SW. I absolutely LOVED Carmel. I have no idea how those girls could dance, spin and then give a spoken word performance. I loved all the rifle tosses and the word "catch" being repeated over and over.

Flangan, Flangan, Flangan, where did you get kids that can spin a weapon like that. WOW! That was a clear cut win, in my eyes

Aimachi had a beautiful show but those friggin batons ruined it for me.

Cypress Ind was just beautiful and First Flight having a stronger 2nd start after the malfunction. I still think they should have moved ahead of Fantasia.

Being a southern church kid, who always asked far too many questions, I have to say that I LOVED Pride of Cincinnati. Wonderful show!

SCV has been my favorite guard of late and they were amazing. I know some didn't like the the narrator but I did. Awesome show.

Onyx..... now I absolutely HATED what Onyx did last year but have to say that I enjoyed them this year and think that they deserved the win. And the girl who did the figure skater like horizontal roll/flip thing. JUST WOW!

The negative - I have to say that I am not a fan of the "pre-shows." Most don't work in my opinion. One guard used Dead or Alive's You Spin Me 'Round..... WHY?

I did like the guard that used soundbites from guard shows of years gone by. I can't remember what guard that was but I LOVED them.

Also, from no floor to everyone having a floor to a few without floors (last year), to the floors turned on an angle, to the ripped up segmented floor? UGH!!!!!! I am over it!

Why did Pride even use a floor,it was the exact same color as what was covering the UD arena floor.

Couldnt agree more with you with the whole Aimachi, and First Flight & fantasia thing, they def. should have swapped.

I think Pride used a floor for the seems, so they can do more precise drill, same with fantasia.

I liked the pre show SAC used, you spin me round was used because it referenced the tornado in the wizard of Oz. They were just having fun with it.

BEST MOVABLE SET PIECES

Lawrence Central's pine boxes

Someone mentioned this up higher, but it's definitely worth mentioning again.

I was really pleased to see that the design staff at Lawrence Central found so many interesting and EFFECTIVE ways in which to incorporate their wooden boxes into the show. The staging of the boxes was well thought out and very deliberate. The boxes weren't simply an 'addition' to the show: they were an essential element of the show.

Sometimes, pieces like this end up being little more than just 'a thing' that gets pushed around and repositioned a couple of times at key moments in the music. But in Lawrence Central's program, the placement and orientation of the boxes really did a great job of changing-up the look of the visual space in which the guard was performing and also greatly added to the impact of the equipment work.

And the guard members interacted with the boxes a LOT, too. They stood on top of them, they climbed inside of them, they laid down inside of them, disappeared behind them, balanced their bodies on them - lots of connection between the performers and the boxes.

Particularly liked the brief-but-effective rifle spinning feature wherein the rifle line is hidden inside the boxes with only their arm (and the rifle, of course) sticking out. The rifle spinning accelerates in unison with the music that also is speeding up. Having those performers hidden from view really directed your focus to the weapon work happening at that moment. Very cool.

Oh - and I also appreciated the fact that Lawrence Central DIDN'T paint the wooden boxes to match the floor or to match the flags or anything else. Seeing the unfinished wood grain pattern brought a additional element of 'newness' to the show that really worked well with the very modern feeling that they were going for in their program.

Job well done, Lawrence Central...!!!

MY FAVS AT WGI

SA-

Sommerville- A wonderful show with amazing kids. That rifle line was great

Lincoln Way North- Absolutely breath taking and had me in tears. The kids were so expressive. The equipment work was so well written. Also, for anyone that wants to learn what dedication is go talk to the girl who performed in a boot/cast. AMAZING!!!

Andy DeKaney- Beautiful show and very expressive.

Apopka- Very neat show and great use of the slides.

SO- I only saw a select few

Lake Central- This show was stunning. The girls moved so well. Awesome soundtrack

IO-

O2- Another beautiful show by these performers. I loved all the detailing in this show

Identity- Those kids can spin. Such a talented group.

SW-

Tarpon Springs- i really enjoyed this show. Some really nice flag moments. Loved how they used the floor.

Lawrence Central- How cool were the boxes? What a great show and I loved the soundtrack

Carmel- I want to be a hand model. Lol LOVED IT!!!

Flanagan- This is probably one of my favorites of all time. These kids spin and perform so well.

IW-

Black Watch- They were soooooo good in finals. In my opinion the best show using THIS BITTER EARTH.

Braddock- That rifle section was insane

Blessed Sac- what an interesting and well thought out show. Loved the pre show!!!

Zydeco- THIS HAS TO BE PUT ON A FAN FAVORITE. That red flag feature was wonderful.

Aimachi- PURE ENTERTAINMENT!!! Thank you

Onyx- WOW!!! This show just sucked you in. No doubt that they were going to take home the gold.

GREAT JOB TO ALL FINALISTS: This was a very entertaining year.

• Like 1

MY FAVS AT WGI

SA-

Sommerville- A wonderful show with amazing kids. That rifle line was great

Lincoln Way North- Absolutely breath taking and had me in tears. The kids were so expressive. The equipment work was so well written. Also, for anyone that wants to learn what dedication is go talk to the girl who performed in a boot/cast. AMAZING!!!

Andy DeKaney- Beautiful show and very expressive.

Apopka- Very neat show and great use of the slides.

SO- I only saw a select few

Lake Central- This show was stunning. The girls moved so well. Awesome soundtrack

IO-

O2- Another beautiful show by these performers. I loved all the detailing in this show

Identity- Those kids can spin. Such a talented group.

SW-

Tarpon Springs- i really enjoyed this show. Some really nice flag moments. Loved how they used the floor.

Lawrence Central- How cool were the boxes? What a great show and I loved the soundtrack

Carmel- I want to be a hand model. Lol LOVED IT!!!

Flanagan- This is probably one of my favorites of all time. These kids spin and perform so well.

IW-

Black Watch- They were soooooo good in finals. In my opinion the best show using THIS BITTER EARTH.

Braddock- That rifle section was insane

Blessed Sac- what an interesting and well thought out show. Loved the pre show!!!

Zydeco- THIS HAS TO BE PUT ON A FAN FAVORITE. That red flag feature was wonderful.

Aimachi- PURE ENTERTAINMENT!!! Thank you

Onyx- WOW!!! This show just sucked you in. No doubt that they were going to take home the gold.

GREAT JOB TO ALL FINALISTS: This was a very entertaining year.

Have to agree with you on Black Watch--aside from the awful flag catastrophe up front (perfect example of why you shouldn't over perform) and the unfortunate saber double turn drop, it was a wonderful performance of This Bitter Earth. Very solid rifle line.