Nothing Changes in Drum Corps....

And you can tell Fran Haring for me that the Sacred Heart Crusaders got hosed that day, as did St. Mary's Majestic Kights (that's for Donna).

Unnecessary Mr Roo.... She already loves ya! devil.gif

(Sucking up had nothing to do with it, you took Freddy to Hawaii and he's not stopped clucking about that since he got back! shutup.gif)

We'll let Mr Haring reply..... w00t.gif

(PS: For the record, WE (BAC) got hosed! tongue.gif)

Holy Smokes! Wait a minute, this was the prelims lineup for a Wed. Night contest? When did they have the prelims? Over the weekend? 65 corps had to take 2 days of competitions. And 12 corps at a 7pm finals, must've been playing til after midnite. How depressing to come in 65th place.

Maybe, but the Holy Family Defenders have returned with a very good Alumni Corps.... worthy.gif

(Oh, and I placed in the end of the pack a LOT while marching in the Lynn Continentals)

• Like 1

I was there after just getting out of the Army. One of the thing that most impressed me was that there was actually a corps there from California, Santa Clara. Who would have thought, a corps not from the northeast, or the Chicago area!

They could never be any good...............

spitting.gif (LOL)

I was there after just getting out of the Army. One of the thing that most impressed me was that there was actually a corps there from California, Santa Clara. Who would have thought, a corps not from the northeast, or the Chicago area!

They could never be any good...............

Anaheim Kingsmen were also there ... 7th in Prelims ... 9th in Finals ... first saw them in 67 at the VFW Nats in New Orleans ... they were 13th in Prelims that year ...

:-)

Prelims then were shortened versions of the shows. I believe time limits were 7 to 8:30 minutes or something like that. Still it must have been long days. I was only there for about 15 minute on the field and then in the back stands with the other non-finalists for the finals competition.

Y'know, you're right. I'd forgotten about that, shortening programs for prelims. I don't remember how that used to work though, did a corps shorten songs or did they just not play half their show? I actually did that but can't remember.

Also wondering how many judges they had, must've been different panels I would think but that doesnt soundvery fair.

<br />Prelims then were shortened versions of the shows.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

VFW prelims were 5-6 minutes with NO stop time. They were on the same day (Wednesday) as finals.

Corps usually did their opener (with no standstill fanfare), then color pre with no stop time ending, then fudged it through a drum solo to get to their exit number.

Inspection was held separately on Tuesday, and the score counted for both prelims and finals.

The parade was Tuesday evening and seemed to last forever.

In 1963, the young Troopers marched the parade TWICE. Once, representing their home state of Wyoming. And the second time around, earning a few bucks and carrying a different state's flag.

Y'know, you're right. I'd forgotten about that, shortening programs for prelims. I don't remember how that used to work though, did a corps shorten songs or did they just not play half their show? I actually did that but can't remember.

Also wondering how many judges they had, must've been different panels I would think but that doesnt soundvery fair.

Corps dropped their concert and part or all of one song ... drill changes were usually needed to get off the field from the dropped/shortened song ... I'm fairly certain that the prelim judging slates were the same for multiple days ... the same judges usually did finals also but rotated to another caption ... long days for the judges ... long days for the corps who made finals ...

:-)

So some things DO change in Drum Corps.

Cant imagine that being done today.

And you can tell Fran Haring for me that the Sacred Heart Crusaders got hosed that day

Yep... everyone who saw them that day thought they were a shoo-in for 40th. :tongue:

everyone who saw them that day thought they were a shoo-in for 40th.

But then there was that 1pt penalty for dropped equipment . . . . . .