Body/Dance movement

Body Movement  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Who makes the best use of body movement?

• The Cadets
    • The Blue Devils
    • The Cavaliers
    • Carolina Crown
    • Phantom Regiment
    • Santa Clara Vanguard
    • Bluecoats
    • Boston Crusaders
    • Blue Knights
    • Madison Scouts
    • Blue Stars
    • Spirit Of Atlanta

I voted Cavies, it’s the least obtrusive and most effective as it doesn’t seem to exist for its own sake and often has a point in driving the visual theme of the show

Others may do more and more complex BM but that’s not the best to me

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I've been here for a long time.

New handle, got rid of my old one (didn't want a screen name attached to a corps)

Then you realize that doing synchronized push ups and jumping over members is pretty intricate and difficult to pull off successfully too.

I love how each corps chooses to be artistic and I love both the Cavaliers and Crown too! thumbup.gif

Then you realize that doing synchronized push ups and jumping over members is pretty intricate and difficult to pull off successfully too.

I love how each corps chooses to be artistic and I love both the Cavaliers and Crown too! thumbup.gif

synchronized push ups don't seem that hard to do at all, when you have to march synchronized.

....it's not about difficulty, but the best use of it.

I just haven't favored a lot of the whole rolling around on the ground thing that H.S. kids love.

I'm sure they practice a lot of push ups and jumping over people in a lot of dance/body movement classes.

Edited by laundryday
  • Like 1

synchronized push ups don't seem that hard to do at all, when you have to march synchronized.

I just haven't favored a lot of the whole rolling around on the ground thing that H.S. kids love.

I'm sure they practice a lot of push ups and jumping over people in a lot of dance/body movement classes.

Arms, legs, whatevs... tongue.gif

Getting 80+ people with varying arm strength to do pushups in synchronization seems pretty difficult to me.

Marching, isn't the same set of skills, so I'm not sure how one would logically connect the two...

My thought is that the image that The Cavaliers "try" to project is masculinity. Those activities ( jumping, push-ups) seem to fit with masculinity better than skipping....

Dance/body movement may not come across as masculine to an uninformed audience. So, I would think that the Cavaliers succeeded in projecting the image that they were trying for...

Crown aims for something that fits their themes each year as well and I believe that they are also successful...

Frankly, I'm tired of the "rolling around" comments. It's a very H.S. thing to say in my opinion... rolleyes.gif

Frankly, all of these corps probably look silly to many in America and the world. blink.gif

So I don't understand the pot calling the kettle black of your comments...

Your clever last sentence isn't really that clever because Drum corps isn't dance/ballet. It's drum corps. There's no rule that says that ballet ( which the Cavaliers have used a bit here and there over the last 25 years) is better than jumping or pushups. Rolling on the ground is no more or less effective than other types of movement.

Actually it's rather comical to compare "dance" with "marching". They're different. ...and to think about it, I'm pretty sure that modern dance troops would practice jumping quite a bit...

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 1

Just gotta remember who's drum corps experience it is now.....if HS kids didnt love what was going to be done there wouldnt be an activity left for us to view soon.

I think Crown is very good at the body movement they do. I do think they do it too much sometimes though.

I'm with him.

Although theres been some pretty good body movements done at INT over the years too.