Carolina Crown 2012

Yeah, I think they're on the same level of difficulty, but in different ways. There are some moments of exposure for the entire brass line in 2010 that I'm not sure have ever been attempted/will ever be attempted again.

Not sure I agree about this but I will certainly agree about this.

Not sure I agree about this but I will certainly agree about this.

Really just depends on your interpretation of difficult. Technical runs, high demand in playing during drill, etc. - that's the obvious stuff. What I think gets overlooked is having 80 guys play as soft as they possibly can, exposed unison entrances from small ensembles, playing while doing crazy body stuff usually reserved for WGI/Blast, etc.

Not saying one is more difficult than the other, just that one is a bit more obvious than the other. The best shows out there have a bit of both, I think.

• Like 1

2010 I think definitely has parallels to this year, especially in the difficulty of the music and drill. What do you folks perceive the staff has been/will be most mindful of moving forward in order to be more successful this year (although a Top 4 finish is certainly not unsuccessful!)? For me, it looks like the drill will still utilize the entire field much like 2010, but I'm betting more attention has been paid to spacing/phasing concerns. Full disclosure: I could also be full of it. Interested to hear what others think!

Really just depends on your interpretation of difficult. Technical runs, high demand in playing during drill, etc. - that's the obvious stuff. What I think gets overlooked is having 80 guys play as soft as they possibly can, exposed unison entrances from small ensembles, playing while doing crazy body stuff usually reserved for WGI/Blast, etc.

Not saying one is more difficult than the other, just that one is a bit more obvious than the other. The best shows out there have a bit of both, I think.

Don't disagree with any of the above and I think 2010 was off the hook hard for all the reasons cited. I always rolled my eyes a bit when the online experts would say CC's brass was not as good in '10 as in '09. Umm -- there was nothing wrong with the performers. They were being asked to do the insane (and mostly pulled it off).

anyway...

I'm just suggesting that 2012 has a lot of what 2010 had + prime rib meat that pretty much no one attempts unless you're Cory or Black Dyke. And those guys sit still :-)

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

Don't disagree with any of the above and I think 2010 was off the hook hard for all the reasons cited. I always rolled my eyes a bit when the online experts would say CC's brass was not as good in '10 as in '09. Umm -- there was nothing wrong with the performers. They were being asked to do the insane (and mostly pulled it off).

anyway...

I'm just suggesting that 2012 has a lot of what 2010 had + prime rib meat that pretty much no one attempts unless you're Cory or Black Dyke. And those guys sit still :-)

My interpretation thus far with regards to meat is 2010 minus Danzon plus Slalom from 09.

• Like 1

I didn't think I would hear a harder brass book than that 2010 Crown book anytime in the near future. This show in general is probably the most difficult show attempted in the 2000's though (that's saying something too with some really tough shows in that span). Now just hoping they can clean it enough to win it all.

Awesome show, but I think Cadets '01 Juxtaperformance may be there too.

I dunno, I really like the brass book for Crown this year, but I haven't seen the drill yet.

Crown just needs color! Awesome show but one giant Creamsicle.

I don't know, that cream and gold looks amazing under the lights.

• Like 1

Crown just needs color! Awesome show but one giant Creamsicle.

I think we'll see an expanded color pallet when the guard has all of their show silks. For the time though I agree. They look great, but it is very...very cream colored right now

If they could add some velcro maybe to the gold flap so when they are doing body work, the black underneath doesnt show so much, that would be good. right now its just, well flapping, so you can see the underneath.