Not too shabby

I would hope the closer is on the field this weekend. if it's not they are way behind for this year, but they are setting up the future nicely.

IMO, too many people are putting expectations that may not be reasonable on them. Let them come out and do how they'll do. predicting medals or no medals etc just puts the corps in a no win position with the fan base.

be glad they are out, and no matter where they place, they made history for themselves

Well put. That horn book has a lot of meat in it. GOOD meat. A lot they're getting their arms around, some not quite yet but are obviously trying to get right. The Hi-Mid brass Turkey breast is good, but I'm looking across the table for that Low Brass Dark Meat. It could be the mike, etc. but I'm not getting that wide, throaty Cadets Bari sound quite yet that they're obviously trying to emulate in the mix.

They're not embarassing themselves by any stretch, and they're going to put on a fine performance come Labor Day from the looks of it. I'll get a good look at them at Downingtown and see what's up. Really, they have nothing to lose, everything to gain, everything is gravy for them this season, and I think they're gonna have a fair amount of gravy in the boat when all is said and done. No guarantees/bank on it from me---- yet. :satisfied:

I saw them live last night. There are absolutely a contender for a medal spot.

Cadets2 is a very young corps, I'd venture to guess mostly high school age.

You are 100% correct.

There was a real buzz in the stands in Jackson when they were done. The fun thing isn't how they will do THIS year, but how they will do NEXT year and down the line, once they are established. The family that sat behind me had two band kids. Whdn C2 finished, both turned to mom & dad and said, "Can we join that corps?" Mom & Dad's response? "We can certainly talk about it. We didn't even know Cadets had a DCA corps."

Hmm...they do have a few spots in the bari line open, so they ought to check in with C2 right now! :thumbup:

Well put. That horn book has a lot of meat in it. GOOD meat. A lot they're getting their arms around, some not quite yet but are obviously trying to get right. The Hi-Mid brass Turkey breast is good, but I'm looking across the table for that Low Brass Dark Meat. It could be the mike, etc. but I'm not getting that wide, throaty Cadets Bari sound quite yet that they're obviously trying to emulate in the mix.

Given that almost the entire corps is made up of HS-aged students, that makes them a good 5 years younger than The Cadets...and all it implies with both musical and physical maturity. I think they are doing VERY well so far. I watched them rehearse prior to the show, and they were quite responsive to the staff. You could see and hear them process the instructions as they rehearsed one section of the show.

Given that almost the entire corps is made up of HS-aged students, that makes them a good 5 years younger than The Cadets...and all it implies with both musical and physical maturity. I think they are doing VERY well so far. I watched them rehearse prior to the show, and they were quite responsive to the staff. You could see and hear them process the instructions as they rehearsed one section of the show.

Attitude and work ethic will pay off for them- and as you said, they do need more Baris. Only once was I told there were "enough baris"... I told them I wasn't a mello player (If you heard me on one, you'd NOT want me playing it except to crack drywall and concerte), they knew that- the horn caption head played lead with me for 6 seasons....... and I hung up the phone.

Actually- I'm not sure if I would call that excellent. I'm not trying to hate on them and I really admire what they are doing here, but if what we are seeing here is the current version of their product, they are behind where the Top 5 is currently. By a solid 4+ points easily IMO. Based on the videos I've seen, including the one above, they do some things well, but their age shows.

I know recordings don't always do justice but I did hear a lot of feet in the sound and poor balance among the hornline. Also, plenty of feet out of time and most importantly- a lot of standing still and when they did move, nothing bigger than an 8 to 5 from what I could see.

Not to mention, no guard uniforms, and nothing past the ballad. It's July. Granted is was just an exhibition so they may just be saving something for next week.

I wish them luck.

I agree that it isn't a top 5 show right now, but in regards to the balance: Gino does typically have a more top heavy sound to his hornlines (just look at Cadets). Also, it looks like there are several baritone holes, which may or may not be mostly filled. Since it was a weeknight performance, it is possible there were several people out for various reasons.

corps sounds good...looks like they march well...nice moving drill............Guard :blink: THEY WILL HAVE TO STEP IT UP QUITE A BIT to compete with the likes of Hurcs and Bucs...............I was a little surprised there

I have seen much rougher first showings for guards in DCA early season, who eventually ended up in the top 7. Alliance always seemed to have a shaky guard... in fact, I think that was a big reason why they did not make top 5 when they were active. Not really arguing your point, just stating that I have seen worse in groups that ended up placing well. Now, I do agree if they hope to get into the top 5, but it is still early in the DCA season.

I bet 70%-80% wouldn't be a stretch.

Sure it would. At the time that video was posted I don't think they sounded any better than any of the other Top 5 DCA hornlines at that same time. Not even 1% better.

It's really a moot point, we will know exactly where they stand after Saturday.