Not too shabby

Wasn't there something in the DCA rules in the '80's-90's about the number of members of a corps at the beginning of August vs. the number of members at finals? And it was percentage based? And wasn't it put there to guard against the very thing people are assuming about the Cadets2?

Is that rule still on the books?

Jeez, I seem to remember that rule???? What did people call that rule???? Cant see to recall the name of that rule?????

I do remember that rule going away quietly though when it didnt do what it was meant to do!

Man, I cant seem to remember the name of that rule!!!! :shutup:

Jay

if there was a rule in the 80s and 90s I can tell ya no one paid attention to it....lol

that is simply not true - that no one paid attention to it... It was called the Bushwacker rule and - ask Jaybo - it was taken VERY seriously...

fortunately, it served out its usefulness and was discarded...

• Like 1

that is simply not true - that no one paid attention to it... It was called the Bushwacker rule and - ask Jaybo - it was taken VERY seriously...

Thanks Tom!! I cant beleive I couldnt remember that name!!!! :rolleyes:

Though we used to fill spots in August with DCI kids, It wasnt as "bad" as many thought it was. I do recall the rule stated that you could not increase the size of the corps more than 10% of the total membership of the 1st show??? Or something to that effect. We just worked within the guidelines of the rule and still won! Go figure.

Jay

ps we werent the only corps filling spots with DCI kids, just sayin......

really? well I taught 2 corps that took dci kids in after Aug 1st as well as I was very friendly with others that also did the same...not trying to debate that the rule exsisted BUT never remember it being enforced nor made a big deal over..if it hurt Bush then others still got away with it.

Edited by GUARDLING

Thanks Tom!! I cant beleive I couldnt remember that name!!!! :rolleyes:

Though we used to fill spots in August with DCI kids, It wasnt as "bad" as many thought it was. I do recall the rule stated that you could not increase the size of the corps more than 10% of the total membership of the 1st show??? Or something to that effect. We just worked within the guidelines of the rule and still won! Go figure.

Jay

ps we werent the only corps filling spots with DCI kids, just sayin......

youre right ,...you werent the only corps :smile:

youre right ,...you werent the only corps :smile:

we all did it - filling in holes after DCI finals, typically just a handful. And I distinctly remember someone (chief judge?) doing a head count as we entered prelims.

we took it seriously, but thankfully we only had to fill 1 or 2 holes that late in the season.

I think there was also a rumor of corps padding their membership when it came to the Hurricanes...I remember rumors of members of 27th's (amazing) guard filling in holes at the end of the year.

Never got any basis of proof, but it was an interesting rumor.

That's what I thought. As DM for Minnesota Brass way back then I also distinctly remember a DCA official counting the uniformed bodies as we entered the gate at prelims.