Jupiter Brass/Quality Control

And the Quantum line is much lower in quality than its concert line horn line, I have played both- the Quantum series for an entire summer, so I think I can have an opinion

It's like complaining about the temperature of a free beer...

Everyone that has played on jupiter or quantum has done so because of financial incentive.

Just a little advice, lighten up on the Wheaties and don't burn bridges, which you're close to doing when you start bashing on companies that help support your means of living. You never know who is looking at these threads. And I'm sure the director of who you marched with wouldn't like your little rant as well, and since there are 10 corps that use Quantum, and 2 of those are DCA corps, it can't easily be narrowed down. Just sayin'.

Look I don't go to DCP often, I just wanted to see what people thought on Jupiter as well as state my own opinion. Evidently the people here seem to enjoy the Jupiter sound, which really surprises me, but it is your opinion and you have the right to hold it, as do I for mine.

And no, I highly doubt anyone of of real value comes on DCP on a daily base.

• Like 1

But at a lot more effort as every other brand. If the same effort going into playing Jupiter horns were put into a more quality horn it would sound fantastic, not just alright.

Let's break this down...

Jupiter makes instruments that are a bit lower cost than some other players out there. This lower cost means that the experience (corps, band, whatever) is available to a larger number of kids due to the fact that it is more affordable. Without Jupiter and other brands that are in this segment, the barrier to entry would be higher than some groups, and subsequently a large number of kids, could reach.

This is not about effort. This is about expense. If Jupiter were to invest considerably more in R&D, either their cost of goods would go up, or their margins would tighten... which could threaten their ability to be a sustainable player in the market... or cause their shareholder to divert attention and resources to more profitable activities.

I'm absolutely glad that are a wide range of manufacturers out there that are providing a wide range of equipment for a wide range of budgets. I even hope that more low end Chinese manufacturers are able to break into the market to make the entry-level experience more affordable to kids across the socio-economic spectrum.

So... as for the cheap, inferior quality equipment..... yes, please! Bring it on... by the truckload, boatload, make it available in Wal-Mart... give more kids access to music... and opportunities to step up as they grow.

• Like 2

It's like complaining about the temperature of a free beer...

Everyone that has played on jupiter or quantum has done so because of financial incentive.

I agree; choosing quantum is a matter of finance, not preference. And I see your point of making it cheaper and more available for kids to play at a student/ intermediate level, that's great.

But that's not the point I'm making. I'm saying there is a notable difference of the low level Jupiter when compared to higher quality brands, and when two ensembles compete there is a given advantage before the they even start.

Edited by drumcorps45
  • Like 1

It's not that we have different opinions. It's the manner of which you posted your opinion. Your posts have been flat-out attack ads. Now, I don't know what you consider as "real value" but, like I said, you never know who is out there lurking. And it's not just here on DCP. For example, I just Googled "Jupiter Brass" and look what popped up about 10 links down:

Jupiter Brass/Quality Control - Drum Corps Planet Forum

Hey there, I just want to talk/rant about the fairly new Jupiter Brass presence in DCI. WHY? Why are they trying to make a marching brass line? I...

Just trying to give you some advice. Whether you choose to use it is up to you.

I play on a Jupiter contra and I love it. Sure, it's huge, but it is easy to play and has good handholds.

Time for new bi-focals (not the way I pronounce it :devil: )

Thought you said "... good handOUTS" (picturing a contra player on a street cornet with an upside down shako taking spare change).

Wait.... a younger person said "Contra" :worthy:

As for the cost issue, my old corps used lower brass with the airbrushed/matte/flat finish (Olds Duratone). From what I've learned I'm sure it was a cost issue too.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

I agree; choosing quantum is a matter of finance, not preference.

I am quite sure that corps like the Blue Stars or the Boston Crusaders would be more than happy to accept your check for $300,000 for a set of horns of your choice. Their addresses can be found on their websites. Certified funds only, please.

• Like 2

It's not that we have different opinions. It's the manner of which you posted your opinion. Your posts have been flat-out attack ads. Now, I don't know what you consider as "real value" but, like I said, you never know who is out there lurking. And it's not just here on DCP. For example, I just Googled "Jupiter Brass" and look what popped up about 10 links down:

Just trying to give you some advice. Whether you choose to use it is up to you.

Is this not the point of a Forum? To post what we feel about about a topic, whether it be positive or negative? I did go straight for a very biased attack like post and I apologize, I only did it in that manner because I felt so passionately about it.

And hey, if they google Jupiter Brass now they can see a forum where people have varying opinions on it on the horns, even more in the favor of the company.

And how can I burn bridges or get in trouble for a mainly anonymous forum site? Are members and staff from corps are going to be mad at a random nameless guy who will never actually affect them? Are they going to hack my IP address an personal information for having a negative opinion about them? Because that would illegal and pretty ridiculous.

Edited by drumcorps45
  • Like 2

rolleyes.gif

You can give positive or negative opinions w/o attacking. You chose to attack which is why you are now getting all the red marks towards you.

And again, I was just giving you advice that you apparently aren't going to heed. You're on your own.

Edited by skajerk