Jupiter Brass/Quality Control

Does anyone have any numbers of what a world class horn line pays?

I know there is the assumption of free horns by a lot of people. I'm pretty sure that isn't even close to the case. They still pay for the horns. The biggest discount comes from being able to sell the horns.

However... since all horns in drum corps are put through abuse, and cheaply made(minus the corps who use Xenos) compared to professional instruments... it's almost not worth it to buy one. I've seen horns from Yamaha, King, and Dynasty after a year of corps use. Not in the greatest shape. After two years... I wouldn't buy a horn from a corps. The Silver finish is probably mostly worn off, unless the horn was completely wrapped so that no skin or sweat touches it... or you just don't sweat. The random dents from collisions. Valves and valve guides (oh Yamaha...) that have been through hell and back. I woudln't buy a horn from a corps, unless a complete overhaul was promised. A bath, new springs and guides, etc. It's not worth it to buy a horn from a corps for my HS band that I have to send to the shop right away, or buy parts for.

They just don't build the horns to last like they used to. And if Jupiter is being constructed in a cheaper fashion than the others. I wouldn't even want to come close to that horn. It needs to have a resell value.

We can talk about sound and how it plays all we want. But what horns also have the best resell value. And what horns hold up the best. In my experience, Kings seem to hold up pretty well, out of the four.

Of course with proper care and usage... any instrument should be fine. But only to a point, when things start popping out of place while snapping your horn up.

• Like 1

I don't think the corps are allowed to release the numbers they paid for their equipment, (non disclosure agreement?) just my thoughts. I'm sure there are others on this forum that will actually have more insight

Edited by Contra94

Does anyone have any numbers of what a world class horn line pays?

I know there is the assumption of free horns by a lot of people. I'm pretty sure that isn't even close to the case. They still pay for the horns. The biggest discount comes from being able to sell the horns.

There is a very wide range of deals.

Edited by danielray

However... since all horns in drum corps are put through abuse, and cheaply made(minus the corps who use Xenos) compared to professional instruments... it's almost not worth it to buy one. I've seen horns from Yamaha, King, and Dynasty after a year of corps use. Not in the greatest shape. After two years... I wouldn't buy a horn from a corps. The Silver finish is probably mostly worn off, unless the horn was completely wrapped so that no skin or sweat touches it... or you just don't sweat. The random dents from collisions. Valves and valve guides (oh Yamaha...) that have been through hell and back. I woudln't buy a horn from a corps, unless a complete overhaul was promised. A bath, new springs and guides, etc. It's not worth it to buy a horn from a corps for my HS band that I have to send to the shop right away, or buy parts for.

They just don't build the horns to last like they used to. And if Jupiter is being constructed in a cheaper fashion than the others. I wouldn't even want to come close to that horn. It needs to have a resell value.

I think the corps who resell their instruments understand the value of taking particularly good care of the horns. Common practices include rehearsing with gloves, periodic cleaning, never putting horns down on pavement, and storing in cases for transport. I know much of the wear and tear you describe is inevitable, but describing it as abuse is not entirely fair to all the corps.

• Like 1

As a former Director and endorser of Jupiter Instruments, I can honestly say that their product keeps getting better with each new generation that they build in the Quantum series. Teal Sound was one of the first corps to use the Jupiter Quantum Brass along with Jersey Surf and The Academy. From Day 1 with them they were always honest and upfront about the development of their horns. They sent us prototypes to try out before purchasing and we were very impressed by the quality of sound that the small ensemble produced. This company does listen to the corps and regards their inputs on the problems and issues we have had over the seasons usage and they have always attempted to make changes and have made changes for the betterment of the product overall. I know that the first couple of generation mellos were not that great but they have constantly worked on improving them with each new generation. When we received the 4th generation mellos in 2011, I was very impressed over the changes that had been made and the fact they were more in tune in the upper register. IMO, their low brass is without a doubt the best sounding part of brass ensemble. The fact that they are still developing the horns and willing to make changes to their product says that they care what others think about their product. Believe me when I say, it is not always about the financial side of things, but the quality and service of the company that represents the product that they provide to us. Without a doubt, through my tenure as director of Teal Sound, I can say nothing bad about Jupiter products, but have the utmost appreciation and gratitude for what they have done in just a few short years within the marching brass world. Tabor Stamper and his staff at Jupiter Band Instruments in TN. are doing things right and whether you like the product or not, it seems to me more and more corps are beginning to see what the program they offer is all about.

Musical Instruments, the same as most everything else, (i.e. Chevy vs. Ford, Democrat vs. Republican, Steak vs. Chicken, etc....) is a personal preference when it comes down to the choice one has to make when all is said and done. Yamaha at one time struggled with their product too, the same as most every other company has at one time or the other. The fact that they listen and are willing to make changes is what was most impressive to me in regards to a business and musical decision on choosing Jupiter!!

Once again, just my opinion for what it is worth......

• Like 3

Not disagreeing, this is FYI, and only involves my one experience.

I bought a Yamaha Xeno from the Cadets, I think from their 2008 season, used just the one summer, the case was simply stenciled "22." It had the reverse leadpipe. It was in FANTASTIC shape. I would put the finish at 99%. It plays perfectly perfectly, no missing or repaired parts, it came with a brand new gold plated Yamaha MP (equivalent in size to the Bach 3-C, I believe). I paid $1250 for it.

I got a nice horn and supported a great corps. What could be better?

• Like 3

1335405862[/url]' post='3134998']

Not disagreeing, this is FYI, and only involves my one experience.

I bought a Yamaha Xeno from the Cadets, I think from their 2008 season, used just the one summer, the case was simply stenciled "22." It had the reverse leadpipe. It was in FANTASTIC shape. I would put the finish at 99%. It plays perfectly perfectly, no missing or repaired parts, it came with a brand new gold plated Yamaha MP (equivalent in size to the Bach 3-C, I believe). I paid $1250 for it.

I got a nice horn and supported a great corps. What could be better?

I've heard many good things from purchasing used from the Cadets and CrownStore, after the season is over, all horns are maintenanced by a Yamaha Tech.

• Like 1

The Silver finish is probably mostly worn off, unless the horn was completely wrapped so that no skin or sweat touches it... or you just don't sweat.

We had a no touch policy in Regiment. We did not allow the horns to touch bare skin, we even changed our resting positions for all the brasses and added sleeve covers to the contras.

Or tuba, for you youngins'.

• Like 1

We had a no touch policy in Regiment. We did not allow the horns to touch bare skin, we even changed our resting positions for all the brasses and added sleeve covers to the contras.

Or tuba, for you youngins'.

How did you handle cleaning the horns? We have silver finish Gs and baby those puppies since they are hard/expensive to replace. Cleaning with mild soap & water recommended instread of anything (polish, paste) that would scratch or wear down the finish.

Just anything to worry about if you don't have a replacement deal. :tongue: