Jupiter Brass/Quality Control

Just talked to someone who plays on a Shires bass trombone. He loves it. He was at Dillons in jersey and tried out the Jupiter professional model. He almost traded in his Shires. He actually liked it better.

I've heard similar things about their professional model instruments. Half the price and they still sound and play great, and I know there was a development period for those horns.

These Jupiter horns are still quite new to the drum corps scene. So I will give them time to develop, and from reports here it sounds like they are working on it. Great to hear.

Still doesn't change my opinion on the sound though. And they have a long way to go yet with their high brass.

I'm happy to hear of good customer service... because I know with other brands, you don't get that.

I have heard reports like this from friends as well... The professional models are not bad at all, and I think (I would need some research for this to be 100% accurate) that some corps actually put their trumpets on the professional models.

Does anyone know about this for sure? I would think it would be a great idea to get those professional model trumpets combined with the quantum low brass/mellophones.

And it is reassuring to hear that their customer service is great. Nothing worse than a company that has negative or no interactions with its customers.

Pretty sure all the Yamaha corps use Xeno professional model trumpets. That might be the solution to a lot of Jupiter's problems.

• Like 1

1335565052[/url]' post='3135572']

Pretty sure all the Yamaha corps use Xeno professional model trumpets. That might be the solution to a lot of Jupiter's problems.

Since Yamaha doesn't make a "Marching" trumpet, they went with the next best thing, the Xenos.

My corps is marching Jupiters this year. And from what i gather from the corps, the high brass is alright. Everyone in low brass is absolutely loving the Jupiters (except for the few that played on better quality horns). Of course these horns still have their issues. I play contra and the only problem there really is, is the valve aligners. They're made of plastic and the buttons screw off after a few minutes of playing, which in turn makes the valve aligners loose and shift. Everything else is great.

My corps is marching Jupiters this year. And from what i gather from the corps, the high brass is alright. Everyone in low brass is absolutely loving the Jupiters (except for the few that played on better quality horns). Of course these horns still have their issues. I play contra and the only problem there really is, is the valve aligners. They're made of plastic and the buttons screw off after a few minutes of playing, which in turn makes the valve aligners loose and shift. Everything else is great.

That's not a problem exclusive to Jupiter. The Yamahas have (or did have) those dang plastic aligners as well. The good news is that you (or your corps) can buy metal aligners for cheap. I believe they are made from aluminum. We got them from Tuba Exchange. Give them a call and ask Vince to hook you up.

Just got done playing on a brand new Jupiter mellophone this weekend. The newest models are LEGIT. As a whole, they're some pretty #### good horns. Muuuch better than what we've been on for two years.

Other than the weight, I think Jupiter tubas are better than Yamahas or Kings. Darker, richer, louder. But they are quite a bit heavier.

I agree; choosing quantum is a matter of finance, not preference. And I see your point of making it cheaper and more available for kids to play at a student/ intermediate level, that's great.

But that's not the point I'm making. I'm saying there is a notable difference of the low level Jupiter when compared to higher quality brands, and when two ensembles compete there is a given advantage before the they even start.

No. I don't accept this premise at all. You start from the position that if we compare up to 80 brass players playing with 2 different Mfg. horns there would be a difference in the quality of the sound coming out of the horns. While this MIGHT be true, if we take 80 exact same players playing on 2 sets of horns. But even here it is doubtful as few Mfg are better in ALL 4-6 sections of the Drum Corps. (some are good in lower( tubas), some in higher ( trumpet) some in the middle voices ( mellophone). But futhermore, the Mfg. becomes totally irrelevant in which Corps sound will be better when we have 60- 80 different players we are comparing the sound with. While it is possible to say which single player, or even small section of players might sound better on an instrument between 2 Mfg's.... it becomes impossible to say which will sound better when we have 4 to 6 sections of brass instrumentation and across 60- 80 DIFFERENT brass players, all receiving different levels of instruction. Thus, when all things are considered, the 60- 80 person horn line will not be advantaged nor disadvantaged based on the Mfg. of the instrumentation. MUCH more determinative is the talent of the playing and the instruction ability levels taught. Only in an I & E competition of a soloist or a quartet ( for example ) might there be an adavantage that MIGHT acrue to the Mfg.of the horn utilized by those in competition.. But once we get into the 60- 80 person larger brass lines in competition,with multiple sections, whether a Corps utilizes Jupiters or Kings or some other Mfg. gets diluted to the point that talent and instruction are FAR more determinative to the sound quality that comes out of the hornline and therefore the brass scores received. Thats how I see it anyway.

Edited by BRASSO