Jupiter Brass/Quality Control

My name is Brian Kackley, I am the brass caption head with Music City Drum and Bugle Corps and am an alumnus of The Madison Scouts. I'm stating my name and title because I choose not to hide behind my screen name.

Personal opinion of performance quality and the equipment used has been in debate since the inception of this activity. I too have my own likes and dislikes and very strong opinions towards one instrument manufactor or another. Being a charter caption head at a very young and developing drum corps, I owe a debt of gratitude to Jupiter. Have I had issues with the instruments? Of course. To Jupiters credit, they have remedied every single concern that I have brought to their attention and have done so without hesitation. This will be Music City's second season on Jupiters and I am pleased with their efforts and work that they have put into supporting our concerns.

The bigger picture on this subject is that there are companies out there willing to help thousands of kids receive an education from this activity that they won't get anywhere else. They provide the tools for these young people to create the sounds that we all enjoy listening to. I'm very thankful to Jupiter because I get to stand in front of a brass line that puts a smile on my face every second of the day. I understand the companies growing pains. It's not easy to build something. Down the road when you get the results you strive for, you appreciate what you have and what helped you get there.

It's like I tell the hornline. Succeed through your failures. That's how you will build character and excellence.

I don't think many people have seen or heard of your corps because of a limited touring schedule, but I love your corps! When I saw them they had a great, fun show, and what looked like kids having a good time! Keep up the good work.

I am wvu80, and I will hide behind my screen name! :cool:

+++

Oh, on the topic of Jupiter horns? Any company that supports drum corps with hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of equipment that keep a drum corps on the field gets my seal of approval.

+++

Edit: To the original poster? Please re-read Mr. Kackley's post, which I quoted in full directly above; now that's the way to make a classy first post! :thumbup:

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 7

I don't think many people have seen or heard of your corps because of a limited touring schedule, but I love your corps! When I saw them they had a great, fun show, and what looked like kids having a good time! Keep up the good work.

In the world of "picking up women"... this is called a "back handed compliment". LOL

1335276038[/url]' post='3134555']

Look I don't go to DCP often, I just wanted to see what people thought on Jupiter as well as state my own opinion. Evidently the people here seem to enjoy the Jupiter sound, which really surprises me, but it is your opinion and you have the right to hold it, as do I for mine.

And no, I highly doubt anyone of of real value comes on DCP on a daily base.

Representatives and workers of a lot of companies check DCP frequently to find inputs on their product, Kanstul has a guy check the Brass forums everyday. If you have a problem with the horns, send a message to the company. Don't just bash on a horn company because you personally don't like some of their products.

Edited by Contra94
  • Like 3

I have a personal preference for the way Phantom's hornline sounded 2003-2008. It was throatier, meatier, had an extra rumble/intensity to it.

I also like the sound of BD's hornline much better since their switch in 2010. It sounds to me like they picked up what a lot of what Phantom gave up.

A few other posters seemed to be saying the same thing. I don't care who manufactures the horns, I just know what sound(s) I prefer.

• Like 6

A lot of people have stated the money issues, I'm on their side with this. Jupiter doesn't make "Professional" horns, their horns are in the intermediate range, I am fine with that because the costs of their horns help out starting corps. A full line of horns from Yamaha or King would cost $300K, Jupiter helps make that cost a lot lower. I agree the hornlines that switched to Jupiter have gotten a different sound. When BD upgraded to the new Kings (System Blue), you could tell the difference. I'm sure the brass caption heads of corps that use Jupiter Brass are working close with the company to make the horn better, while keeping it affordable.

• Like 1

1335328125[/url]' post='3134790']

How much does a Jupiter line cost?

From the numbers off Wwbw.com, I added up 24 Trumpets, 16 Mellophones, 16 Tubas, 16 Baritones/8 Euphoniums, all quantum series, and got $152K.

A Yamaha line would cost in the $240K Range, King Ultimate (NOT SB) would cost $216K, Kanstul would cost $203K, And Dynasty $193K, I retract my statement of the $300K hornlines. System Blue horns would cost about $250K

Edited by Contra94

1335329135[/url]' post='3134797']

From the numbers off Wwbw.com, I added up 24 Trumpets, 16 Mellophones, 16 Tubas, 16 Baritones/8 Euphoniums, all quantum series, and got $152K.

A Yamaha line would cost in the $240K Range, King Ultimate (NOT SB) would cost $216K, Kanstul would cost $203K, And Dynasty $193K, I retract my statement of the $300K hornlines. System Blue horns would cost about $250K

Also, the costs could be lowered if the corps is endorsed by the horn company. Or if they buy used horns.

The likelyhood of any World Class Drum Corps paying retail for a hornline (even if not sponsored by that company) is:

0.00%

1335337703[/url]' post='3134811']

The likelyhood of any World Class Drum Corps paying retail for a hornline (even if not sponsored by that company) is:

0.00%

I understand that, I just threw the numbers out as a reference to the costs of different manufacturers.