Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Michael Boo

1989 Phantom Regiment is DCI DVD Spotlight of the Week

37 posts in this topic

One of the greatest shows ever. That's pretty much all I can say about it. (Other than, holy cow, the wings on those jackets used to be huge!)

Mike

3 people like this

This is the first DCI show I ever saw when I found out what we were doing my fresmen year! I barley knew anything about marching band let alone drum corps when I watched it. Will always have a special place in my heart. And yes, we were one of the bazillion high schools to copy it, only because it's so awesome. :inlove:

I love the groovy take on the ballad section, really spiced it up.

2 people like this

Every time I watch this show, I convince myself a little bit more that they should've won... ph34r.gif

6 people like this

Every time I watch this show, I convince myself a little bit more that they should've won... ph34r.gif

They should have. They were better than SCV in every area except percussion. Visual scores were way too tight; gap between SCV and Phantom in percussion should have been equaled by Phantom over SCV in visual.

3 people like this

The show I threw crap at the tv when 2nd place was announced in my basement.

Girlfriend thought I went crazy.

2 people like this

I remember what I thought when I first saw that show in Canton, Ohio early season. Phantom was always one of my favorite corps, but placement-wise they had fallen on hard times, 1985 placed 8, then 10th, 5th, then 6th in 1988. They started soft, then just opened up with a HUGE sound. Man, they were fantastic, and the crowd went nuts, standing O by the always knowledgeable mid-west crowd, right off the bat, early season. Then a standing O a minute later for the end of the opener when Phantom again just cranked the sound and went into the wedge formation with the kick out.

1989 was a great year for drum corps, and as usual, it wasn't just because of final placements, but also because of the story lines; Phantom was BACK!

2 people like this

What was the t-shirt they sold back then? Something like "See the wedge... Hear the wedge" - - Anyone remember?

The end of that opener at Finals is one of THE MOST INTENSE/FOCUSED BRASS MOMENTS I've ever witnessed/heard first-hand. When they brought their horns down at the end of the opener, I saw fangs on the brassline (mad dog after raw meat, not-to-be-denied mentality)! I thought they had pulled out the victory at Finals, but, alas, another 2nd place finish for Phantom. This brass line was SO POWERFUL, the classical counterparts to Madison's '95 line. That baritone solo echoing off the back stands is nothing short of brilliant.

4 people like this

I loved this show!!!! We competed against them all summer and only managed to beat them once. They started the season strong and just kept building on that!!! Great show - and I was sure that they had won come finals.

Later,

Mike