No preseason movie broadcast?

Last year's shows only the Cavaliers were missing drill. Everyone else had their shows done. And in decent shape. Dirty yes, but still enjoyable.

• Like 2

I too thought it was great, had a blast even with a bit o' dirt. My only complaint was that an incomplete show should not win; even if it was cleaner than others, it was incomplete.

Eager for June :thumbup:

I think that they should have some clips of the Clovis show, to see what the guys out west are doing. I'm looking foward to it, I mean, what better way is there to quench that few months long thirst for clips and show releases than getting to see the first show of the season in a movie theatre? Going to the actual show, that's about it. I love it. :thumbup:

Edited by DrumManTx

Sigh... Why must it always be so negative? I gladly laid my money down for the chance to see my son for the first time in 4 weeks, dirty or not.

I can see your point since your son is marching, but others, like me, like to see any activity we attend/pay for put on a complete performance, weather permitting.

I don't quite understand people's opposition based on the shows being dirty/unfinished. Everyone knows that shows aren't finals week quality in June. If the show was in your town would you refuse to attend because the shows weren't clean? Think about it from a member's perspective. If the first show of the season was in your hometown would you tell your friends to save their money and not attend because the show isn't complete yet?

• Like 2

If the show was in your town would you refuse to attend because the shows weren't clean?

Only if the drill isn't completed. I can enjoy a corps with full music and drill even if, especially the drill, it's still rough. Do not enjoy a standstill after eight minutes.

I don't quite understand people's opposition based on the shows being dirty/unfinished. Everyone knows that shows aren't finals week quality in June. If the show was in your town would you refuse to attend because the shows weren't clean? Think about it from a member's perspective. If the first show of the season was in your hometown would you tell your friends to save their money and not attend because the show isn't complete yet?

if the corps continually display, through their actions of not putting their full show on the field, that they do not care about early season shows, why should fans care about them? People go see drum corps for different reasons. Some people only go for the top corps. Some go for all the corps. Some go to support their friends or family. Some go to witness high levels of excellence. Personally, I am not really interested in 9 minutes of the Cavaliers or 7 minutes of SCV on opening weekend. I enjoy watching shows develop over the course of the summer, but I don't think most people that catch a DCI show each summer follow the activity that way. Perhaps I am wrong though.

in terms of getting the shows on the field, last year was better than most years. I bet there was a memo sent around, especially to the G8 that were having a G8 show but not G8 show in Texas, that their shows needed to be ready, because the developing trend had gotten to the point of being unacceptable, and made worse by corps getting rewarded by winning competitions with 80% of their show.

Obviously anyone involved with the activity accepts that early season shows are dirty. That said, dirty shows are not ideal to attract new fans. DCI is actively selling a product that doesn't represent why everyone loves this activity. On the other hand, DCI is trying to build excitement by showing current shows from this season. Obviously their is a tradeoff, and DCI has decided to go with current shows, which is fine.

Edited by soccerguy315
  • Like 1

You mean people don't want to pay money to watch corps perform shows that are immensely dirty and most likely missing a minute or more of drill?

I went last year and to be honest, only corps wasn;t finished, and many of the shows were in good shape already. Much more than I expected

Some of the local drum corps fans only make it to one show per year, their "local" show (that's how I started out-although at that time, there was no internet to log on to and watch how things progressed over the summer). If their local "one" show happens to be that early show, and they're not getting a complete program from the participants, that would certainly play a part in whether I wanted to come back again and spend what a show ticket costs the following year. As for my personal opinion, I would set aside time to watch something like this on Fan Network but wouldn't go out of my way to see it at the theater. A big part of that is that there are no theaters less than an hour drive from where I live that do the cinecasts. I did go to some of the early "countdowns", but then they started narrowing that format down to shows from the last several years-which I already have on DVD, plus access on FN-and it seemed kind of pointless. I think a lot of us don't think about the fact that as far as DCI is concerned, this is more recruiting tool than established fan product. If it's not doing it's job of drawing bandos and getting them hooked on corps, DCI may be looking for other ways to get more bang for their buck.

You mean people don't want to pay money to watch corps perform shows that are immensely dirty and most likely missing a minute or more of drill?

Like what a few folks on here said... I paid money and took some people too. It was a great experience, and I was in Houston at the time so I went. It looks like I won't be able to make it this year... and I liked seeing an early show for once since I do live in Texas and well, I have a lot of trouble driving to Ohio and all around that area.