No preseason movie broadcast?

couldn't they put on shows from previous years though? Those give you a June fix and show you top quality.

We've done that too. It was called the Classic Countdown...

....and they stopped doing it to our chagrin! They also missed putting a bunch of great shows up on the big screen.

So I don't don't really care if it's in August form; I just want to see where they're going with the design. I can then decide if I want to attend other shows...

• Like 1

Sigh... Why must it always be so negative? I gladly laid my money down for the chance to see my son for the first time in 4 weeks, dirty or not.

Would you pay more money to see your son if he were clean? :cool:

Dirty or clean, I too would lay down my money to watch him march, if he were coming to a theater near me. Usually the theaters are at least a couple of hours away.

+++

Officially Sanctioned Mother/Father Bragging Zone: So, who does your son march for? You must be very proud, so bragging is not only allowed, it's encouraged. :)

I'm jealous, because my son wouldn't march if I paid him. :(

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

I love early season drum corps. And while the drill may not be clean, and sometimes not finished, that is life. I do sometimes wonder why they don't just have the guard do spins with equipment, or have the corps do a ripple or something they could teach in like 5 minutes. But you have to remember the show you see in June isn't going to be anything like the show you see in August, there will be changes to almost every part of the show. Personally I love to see each show as it morphs over the season, so a little dirt, some murky music, some unfinished drill, more things to get excited about as the season progresses. It would be cool to see a show that should score a 91.5 in the early season, but as complex as most corps make their shows, that isn't going to happen.

If the same theaters show it this year, I will definitely go, although it would be cool if they could pump up the volume a little bit more this year. I have to admit, I wish along with showing quarters live in the theatre, they would show it a week later, so I could actually watch it in the theatre after seeing it live in person. I'd love to hear the broadcaster coomments. I still can't believe that someone supposedly said they couldn't get 11 minutes of music from Les Mis. I'd really like to hear the full context of that phrase that someone supposedly said last year.

Dang I can't wait until June.

• Like 1

I too thought it was great, had a blast even with a bit o' dirt. My only complaint was that an incomplete show should not win; even if it was cleaner than others, it was incomplete.

Eager for June :thumbup:

I understand your point here, I really do, but then on the other hand, every show is technically incomplete from where it will be. How many shows added time at the end, or something in the middle by the end of the season? And how many shows had nothing for drill in the middle instead of the end? And the thing with judging is, if you have a corps that is leading everyone in brass, leading everyone in percussion, leading everyone in colorguard, and all by several tenths, but one minute of their drill isn't complete(maybe deducting 1 point for visual) if their score still adds up to more than the other corps, shouldn't they still win.

I think this boils down to once again, is the Blue Devils score of 71.3 at the beginning of the season, if it were performing against Pioneer with a score of 71.5 at the end of the season, which show would actually win? I think if Pioneer started their season 3 months earlier, so their final performance would match up with Blue Devils first performance, I think back to back, Pioneer would probably score around 65, and Blue Devils would score closer to 78. But taking the judging back to context, you can basically see the same score for Blue Devils at the beginning that Pioneer will end up with. So early season scoring is kind of tricky too.

Would you pay more money to see your son if he were clean? :cool:

Dirty or clean, I too would lay down my money to watch him march, if he were coming to a theater near me. Usually the theaters are at least a couple of hours away.

+++

Officially Sanctioned Mother/Father Bragging Zone: So, who does your son march for? You must be very proud, so bragging is not only allowed, it's encouraged. :)

I'm jealous, because my son wouldn't march if I paid him. :(

My son is the synth player for the Bluecoats. Imagine my squeal of delight when he showed up on the big screen playing the opening bars of "Creep"! I would not trade that moment for anything in the world. Thank you for allowing this very proud mom to brag on her Bluecoat, and thank you for your support of the art even though your son does not march. (You are now leaving the Officially Sanctioned Mother/Father Bragging Zone. Please place your trays in the upright position.) :-)

• Like 3

I don't quite understand people's opposition based on the shows being dirty/unfinished. Everyone knows that shows aren't finals week quality in June. If the show was in your town would you refuse to attend because the shows weren't clean? Think about it from a member's perspective. If the first show of the season was in your hometown would you tell your friends to save their money and not attend because the show isn't complete yet?

What if you went to a movie, show, concert, theatre, football game... payed full price for the tickets but the movie wasn't finished, the show wasn't done, the concert singer told you before you entered that they were going to perform less songs than the last concert,the theatre production would not include the finale, the football game would go 3 quarters only, etc.... you still ok paying full price for the tickets ?

Edited by BRASSO

What if you went to a movie, show, concert, theatre, football game... payed full price for the tickets but the movie wasn't finished, the show wasn't done, the concert singer told you before you entered that they were going to perform less songs than the last concert,the theatre production would not include the finale, the football game would go 3 quarters only, etc.... you still ok paying full price for the tickets ?

I can see your point, but if you go to an early season football, basketball or other type game you are probably not going to see the same team you see at the end of the season. And typically if you go see a theatre production, the show you see 3 months later is going to be the same show. Drum corps is constantly changing.

I love seeing full shows as early as possible too, but I would rather see 2/3 of a corps performance, than not see them at all. When you look at how much it takes to get 150 kids together, and you look at how some schools go on until the 8-10th of June, and the first show last year was around the 17th if I am not mistaken, you literally have 7-10 days with some of the kids to put a full 11 minute show on the field. I would say on average, it probably takes 8-10 hours of rehearsal time to put each minute of show on the field. I think we are sometimes lucky they are even half finished with their shows.

here's the problem....

it's no secret to those of us that follow drum corps that what you get in June is often rough and incomplete. that's been that way for a while now. Sure in the 70s when the demand wasnt so high and the membership was local, it may not have been the case, but even back then what you saw in June may have been totally rewritten come August

There are generally two shows in my area each year. One is during the first week and the other is always end of July/beginning of August. 50 yard line seats halfway up at the first show are $25. At the second show the same seats are $40. (Not in the same stadium) Both of these shows have a similar number of corps attending each year. Both of these shows are home shows for the same corps. So based on the "get what you pay for" argument they are pricing the tickets accordingly.

Besides, I'm willing to shell out some cash to see an early show because I know that my money is going to support the drum corps and insure that they can fund their season. And on top of that, having not seen live drum corps since at least August I am VERY ready to see it come June. Would I love for the shows to be finals week quality in June? Sure! But drum corps isn't all about me. :smile:

Edited by Beckham

We've done that too. It was called the Classic Countdown...

....and they stopped doing it to our chagrin! They also missed putting a bunch of great shows up on the big screen.

right... personally I think the classic countdown was a better model. But as I said in my post that got lots of negatives, DCI has decided that showing lower quality shows from the current year is a better decision. Hopefully they have the stats and market research to back that decision up. I personally would rather see some great finished shows on the big screen, but I accept that I might be in the minority.

(and to the posters who commented that last year most of the shows were done for the theater broadcast... yes, I addressed that as well in my post that has all the negatives)