2012 Blue Devils

Cheers to that - I always thought that was a terrible show for them, especially for a big anniversary year for a corps with a long history of straight-up jazz. Again, the theme overruled everything - force the music into the theme if you have to these days, even if there is no correlation whatsoever except in the titles of the individual rep.

But that's exactly the point some of us are trying to make here...why was it so important for them to go back and do BD? Why not express the corps in a way that features its skills and takes on a different design and different presentation. I completely understand if some DC fans don't enjoy or connect to what they offer...it's a matter of taste and (in some ways) a matter of musical and visual expectation. And I realize that Drum Corps by its very nature is structure, unison and big musical moments that can only be delivered in that environment and yes..... history! At its corps it's military and remembrance. But if you look at the last 5 years of DCI you'll have 95% of the corps doing what's expected...delivering the goods and satisfying that historic requirement.

I have a relatively short history here so it's easier for me to say, let the corps explore without reprimand...let new designs express themselves and most importantly...celebrate different in a sea of same.

• Like 2

But that's exactly the point some of us are trying to make here...why was it so important for them to go back and do BD? Why not express the corps in a way that features its skills and takes on a different design and different presentation. I completely understand if some DC fans don't enjoy or connect to what they offer...it's a matter of taste and (in some ways) a matter of musical and visual expectation. And I realize that Drum Corps by its very nature is structure, unison and big musical moments that can only be delivered in that environment and yes..... history! At its corps it's military and remembrance. But if you look at the last 5 years of DCI you'll have 95% of the corps doing what's expected...delivering the goods and satisfying that historic requirement.

I have a relatively short history here so it's easier for me to say, let the corps explore without reprimand...let new designs express themselves and most importantly...celebrate different in a sea of same.

The point that I (and others) are trying to make is that somewhere along the line, Blue Devils transitioned into a "weird" phase, and started ignoring their own identity that they built over a long period of time. For me, this was around the Romeo and Juliet meets West Side Story or Psycho shows.

I'm pretty sure a portion of Phantom's fan base would be upset if all of a sudden they started doing shows exclusively made up of rock music, or Madison all opera music, or Cadets all hip hop music, etc., etc., let alone for one of their big anniversary shows.

Edited by Quad Aces
  • Like 1

I disagree... Sure I am an alum, Sure I am a homer... But I was able to sing along with the whole show last year except maybe the drum breaks, and for me, a guy who HATED... yes I used the word HATE... HATED Winged Victory, I could barely recognize ANY Pegasus in it...Well you have to know how hard that is for me to say! So your complaints do not fall on tone deaf ears... It is just that some of us... find what we want and need from the Blue Devils more often than not, and therefore disagree. Doesn't have to be a reason... No one is better, smarter or more refined than the other... Heck my dislike for classical music shows my lack of refinement!

Here is what you said I said... HATED... yes I used the word HATE... HATED Winged Victory, I could barely recognize ANY Pegasus in it (Which is ALMOST ACCURATE until you put in the context)

The point that I (and others) are trying to make is that somewhere along the line, Blue Devils transitioned into a "weird" phase, and started ignoring their own identity that they built over a long period of time. For me, this was around the Romeo and Juliet meets West Side Story or Psycho shows.

I'm pretty sure a portion of Phantom's fan base would be upset if all of a sudden they started doing shows exclusively made up of rock music, or Madison all opera music, or Cadets all hip hop music, etc., etc., let alone for one of their big anniversary shows.

Figured I would put my ENTIRE POST here so I am not taken out of context which is what putting a tiny piece of my post is doing!

Oh and watch the 1980's BD DVD and watch the round table discussion at the end... Mike, Wayne and Stacy explain that as BD came out of the 80's that they changed from Jazz to other music, because they felt stagnant in the corps direction. That could explain why less jazz is played...

Edited by Big Bad Bari

It seems like the only people BD pleases is BD. Current staff/members and alumni. And I know there are plenty of alumni who aren't pleased with what they have put on the field lately.

Yes there are exceptions. You can't please everyone, and I understand that. But why would you limit yourself with how many people you can entertain?

I don't find that they do limit themselves any more than other corps limit themselves in doing what they choose to do for their own fan base. They create 'Blue Devils shows', like Crown creates 'Crown shows', the Cadets create 'Cadet shows'...etc..

I personally like the idea that the various corps are different in what they do. Even if I am not a particular fan of this or that type of show, I'm glad there is the kind of variety we see.

• Like 1

Oh and watch the 1980's BD DVD and watch the round table discussion at the end... Mike, Wayne and Stacy explain that as BD came out of the 80's that they changed from Jazz to other music, because they felt stagnant in the corps direction. That could explain why less jazz is played...

Yes, I have the 80s DVD - watched it many times (there are a lot of great shows on it). Perhaps what is said in the roundtable at the end does explain the change in direction, but that doesn't mean it was a good idea.

I stand by what I wrote before - BD started getting "weird" a number of seasons ago, which for me included the Winged Victory show. When a group that you supported for a long time decides to go off in a direction that you no longer enjoy like they did, you, as a fan, have an option to vote with your feet (and your financial support in the way of purchasing apparel, audio recordings, video recordings, etc.), which is what I did.

Drum corps is getting more like American Idle every year. They come to see and not to hear. YOu can have your watered down tired old shows. I like BD and SCV the most.

It's funny you mention these two--I've really liked SCV's recent shows and new direction, but not so much BD's.

I had an odd moment at a show several years ago (I think it was one of the quarter-finals)--I was enjoying the show on the whole, but something was bothering me about it. I finally realised what was "wrong". The corps that had been, in my day, my favorites (Cadets, BD, Madison) were no longer that exciting to me (this is mostly due to show design), and corps that had been further down my list were now my new favorites. I love what SCV's been doing, Crown is a fun new addition, I'm always HYPED to see Phantom now (can't believe I just typed that--GREAT corps, just was never my cup of tea--now I feel like they're the last vestige of "that" sound), and, trying to be as unbiased as possible, I've loved what the Coats have put on the field recently.

I do really miss old BD (and Cadets...and Madison...), but they can't just keep playing "One More Time Chuck Corea" and "Ya Gotta Try" over and over again, can they?

I'm hoping 2012 BD will be a bit like the Absurdity show--I dug that one.

I personally like the idea that the various corps are different in what they do.

Same here. Drum Corps have always offered different styles, different shows for the audience. Like you, I don't want that to ever change either.

Edited by BRASSO

Cadets all hip hop music

I have been waiting for the "HIP HOPkins" show!!!

• Like 1

Wow Plan... You are a real HATER Aren't you!

Oh and get ready to take heat because somehow someway... It will be rationalized that you have taken away someones right to display their dislike! You evil evil man! :devil:

Yeah...those evil evil drum corps fans out there....all they want is to be entertained, excited, inspired by what they see and hear corps present on the drum corps field. How dare they voice their concerns about shows or corps that has not provided them a great audible and visual experience......so evil....

Incidentally... Someones Dislike is allowed to bleed over into their feelings about an organization, the way they as a group handle themselves and how they think as a group overall!

Well...to me...I think back to a radio station I use to listen to here in the NYC area....CD 101.9. It was a smooth jazz station. As time went on...I found they started to play a lot more R&B...the more they did...the less I would listen. So...as an 'organization'...their decision to change and present something different (Which I didn't care for)...caused me to abandon my listener-ship. My feelings about that organization are not to positive.....

You had to have been there to truly understand....so really..you can't weigh in. vids and audio clips from the past don't translate it...

IMO.....

Its not that they are not playing 'Channel One Suite, or 'One More Time Chuck Corea'....or straight hard hitting jazz. Its the fact they don't present a show with the same attitude and swagger they use to. Its the feeling they use to bring to the field I miss the most......the feeling of 'We are going to smoke the crowd and smoke the competition and nothing is going to stop us'. There was nothing artsy about it...Hence the intense expression 'BLUE SMOKE'.

Best recent example I can think of is the Madison Scouts....their full swagger returned in 2010...IMO. There was always a hint of it....but in 2010 it 'Was Back'

BTW...before it comes up....not that kind of smoke...you know the little white cigs :tongue: