2012 Blue Devils

I can't get over how much I love BD's show this year! The opening brass hit into the gorgeous arc piece (sorry I don't know the name) is absolutely stunning! My favorite part is probably the 20th century fox interlude (again, sorry I don't know the name) into the part where they slowly march backwards playing what sounds like 4 or 5 different melodies. Just incredibly impressive stuff. Oh yeah, and the ending is absolutely beautiful. I say keep it the same. Sorry, I'm sure most of that was confusing due to my terrible descriptions...

Anyway, I can't wait to see them live for the first time this summer tomorrow! :thumbup:

• Like 2

Was looking at some of the mediabox photos and noticed a flugel on the third photo, fifth row. I've only seen high cam fan network vids, but never noticed a flugel part and it looks like there is only one of them. Can anyone elaborate on when the flugel is used? Just curious.

http://bluedevils.org/mediabox/index.php?module=photos&albumID=467&season=2012

Interesting observation... really adds to the quirkiness of their show, I love it! Also, somewhere in the beginning I noticed that there was a sole corps member who broke rank and went to go put on his shako (that's what it's called right?). Anyway, it was kind of funny because for a long time, he was the only one wearing it. Obviously part of their dada theme but cute nonetheless.

Also, have they included ANYTHING from Rhapsody in Blue yet (as per their rep?). I mean, I haven't heard the entire piece before... only the trademark part that's played a lot in the beginning. Is that going to be their closer when they put it in?

Interesting observation... really adds to the quirkiness of their show, I love it! Also, somewhere in the beginning I noticed that there was a sole corps member who broke rank and went to go put on his shako (that's what it's called right?). Anyway, it was kind of funny because for a long time, he was the only one wearing it. Obviously part of their dada theme but cute nonetheless.

Also, have they included ANYTHING from Rhapsody in Blue yet (as per their rep?). I mean, I haven't heard the entire piece before... only the trademark part that's played a lot in the beginning. Is that going to be their closer when they put it in?

I saw that too. Probably just part of the theme. I think it's cool to be the one guy in a shako

Rhapsody in Blue in quoted in the pit during the middle of the show.

Anyone else hear West Side Story quoted during the same pit break? I didn't see that listed, but I'm sure I heard it

Edited by fsubone

• 3 weeks later...

Was looking at some of the mediabox photos and noticed a flugel on the third photo, fifth row. I've only seen high cam fan network vids, but never noticed a flugel part and it looks like there is only one of them. Can anyone elaborate on when the flugel is used? Just curious.

http://bluedevils.or...467&season=2012

The flugal guy is fantastic. He is the only flugal, and plays down front with two trumpet soloists who play into the mics. The flugal is not silver, but brass looking in color.

This is ONLY my opinion, I have no inside info whatsoever.

I hear the soloists "talking" to each other, a group of 2, and one on the other side of the 50, and the flugal has a VERY different sound from anything else in the brass choir. Because they are playing into the mic, they can play with exceptional tone which the audience hears very clearly. It seems to me like the soloists are playing during or near the voice overs, but I haven't taken any notes, that's just my impression. I have never heard soloists used this way for an entire show, and live you really hear how important they are. They aren't just taking up time while the brass rests. It really hit me on a non-verbal level, it's not the notes they are conveying, but more of a feeling.

The brass show is different from anything I've ever heard, in terms of conveying ideas. And FWIW the narration is VITAL to the show development and is not distracting at all. Along with the soloists, it MAKES the show come alive and understandable.

Edited by wvu80