2012 Blue Devils

the KISS theory works best.

I mean who didn't get Spartacus? Rach Star? Juliet?

or New York Mourning?

That's my hand and my rings!

...and the problem with that would be.....?

We do, after all, call this a competitive activity.

...and the problem with that would be.....?

We do, after all, call this a competitive activity.

Yup... that is what we call it... But DO NOT EVER SAY THAT YOU WANT TO WIN... Then you are here for the wrong reason! :devil:

• Like 4

That's my hand and my rings!

That's awesome! I Googled "Blue Devils rings", and that's the first thing that comes up. I was looking for a picture of a BD soloist with the ring on the outside of their glove, but I couldn't find any like that.

I think some may have thought that I meant this as a knock, like "BD is just after the rings", but I was really meaning it in a positive (and, hopefully, funny) way.

Well... I conclude that BD must just be after rings... since they haven't thrilled the majority of fans for how many years now??

Want my proof???

Go to a #### show and observe the audience reaction.

This is the performing arts isn't it?? You're there for the audience. The competition is just a part of it.

It is a shame. Because the corps is so talented and executes so well. Give them an entertaining show and I'm sure they could WIN and be a FAN FAVORITE once again. Last year was a step int eh right direction, but it still missed for me.

Oh how I wish I could love this corps again.

Hoping to love them again this year... but there is not much hope there to work with right now.

• Like 6

Well... I conclude that BD must just be after rings... since they haven't thrilled the majority of fans for how many years now??

...Hoping to love them again this year... but there is not much hope there to work with right now.

This. I like them, but in my years of going to shows (only '08 to now), they have never once been in my top 3. Their older, jazzier shows really lit my fire on video, and I was cool with their music last year. But they don't connect with the crowd like most of the other corps. And their shows don't seem as difficult as the other corps, at least not in the "more easily recognizable by casual fans" sense. I've never taken a new person to a DCI show and had them be impressed with BD, much less have them be a favorite. I find myself constantly having to explain WHY Blue Devils won the show over X corps, and sometimes it's a hard job to do.

Obviously, they're great, but I view DCI as more of a spectator sport than a competitive one. BD will no doubt be technically great again this year. But their show design usually caters more towards judges than fans. And their show title and humungous list of source material (wonder if they'll hold a melody for more than 20 seconds?) makes me doubt they'll become more fan-friendly this year.

• Like 4

Drum corps is getting more like American Idle every year. They come to see and not to hear. YOu can have your watered down tired old shows. I like BD and SCV the most.

• Like 8

Drum corps is getting more like American Idle every year. They come to see and not to hear. YOu can have your watered down tired old shows. I like BD and SCV the most.

I like shows that I can actually remember the melody, and I can picture what they are actually doing visually to that melody. I don't enjoy prancing around the field to a percussion break, and then halting and playing at FFF for 30 seconds, then back to prancing around in follow the leaders again. That's just not entertaining to me.

Sure BD played some recognizable music last year... at least their rep was. But What they did to it almost chopped it up into unrecognizable music. Except for a few sections of the show.

And I'm not asking for everyone to play lady gaga.

There is a ton of GREAT MELODY FILLED MUSIC out there that isn't modern pop music that has never been explored by drum corps.

I don't have to already know the melody. Introduce me to something new. Look what Crown and Crossmen are doing. There is some stuff we might not all be familiar with.

There just has to be a #### melody or something.

• Like 3

I like shows that I can actually remember the melody, and I can picture what they are actually doing visually to that melody. I don't enjoy prancing around the field to a percussion break, and then halting and playing at FFF for 30 seconds, then back to prancing around in follow the leaders again. That's just not entertaining to me.

Sure BD played some recognizable music last year... at least their rep was. But What they did to it almost chopped it up into unrecognizable music. Except for a few sections of the show.

And I'm not asking for everyone to play lady gaga.

There is a ton of GREAT MELODY FILLED MUSIC out there that isn't modern pop music that has never been explored by drum corps.

I don't have to already know the melody. Introduce me to something new. Look what Crown and Crossmen are doing. There is some stuff we might not all be familiar with.

There just has to be a #### melody or something.

I disagree... Sure I am an alum, Sure I am a homer... But I was able to sing along with the whole show last year except maybe the drum breaks, and for me, a guy who HATED... yes I used the word HATE... HATED Winged Victory, I could barely recognize ANY Pegasus in it...Well you have to know how hard that is for me to say! So your complaints do not fall on tone deaf ears... It is just that some of us... find what we want and need from the Blue Devils more often than not, and therefore disagree. Doesn't have to be a reason... No one is better, smarter or more refined than the other... Heck my dislike for classical music shows my lack of refinement!

Drum corps is getting more like American Idle every year.

These lazy American Grinkos are something else.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1