2012 Blue Devils

I like shows that I can actually remember the melody, and I can picture what they are actually doing visually to that melody. I don't enjoy prancing around the field to a percussion break, and then halting and playing at FFF for 30 seconds, then back to prancing around in follow the leaders again. That's just not entertaining to me.

Sure BD played some recognizable music last year... at least their rep was. But What they did to it almost chopped it up into unrecognizable music. Except for a few sections of the show.

And I'm not asking for everyone to play lady gaga.

There is a ton of GREAT MELODY FILLED MUSIC out there that isn't modern pop music that has never been explored by drum corps.

I don't have to already know the melody. Introduce me to something new. Look what Crown and Crossmen are doing. There is some stuff we might not all be familiar with.

There just has to be a #### melody or something.

Why can't Crown and Crossmen do what they do, and the BD do what they do, to please their respective fan bases?

• Like 2

Why can't Crown and Crossmen do what they do, and the BD do what they do, to please their respective fan bases?

It seems like the only people BD pleases is BD. Current staff/members and alumni. And I know there are plenty of alumni who aren't pleased with what they have put on the field lately.

Yes there are exceptions. You can't please everyone, and I understand that. But why would you limit yourself with how many people you can entertain?

Don't you know, all corps are supposed to be the same. 21 Corps go on the field, one right after the other, with relatively similar designs, movements and music (with varying degrees of music selection and execution)........ and then one corps tries something new (i.e. chairs to elevate and change the visual plane, mirrors to complicate the effect and play tricks with the eyes, music that fractures our norms and standards and is unconditional ..... and they freak out! "Do what we're used to, do what we know, do what we remember!".....if you fail to entertain us... we'll say "ni" to you! :blink:

• Like 4

It seems like the only people BD pleases is BD. Current staff/members and alumni. And I know there are plenty of alumni who aren't pleased with what they have put on the field lately.

Yes there are exceptions. You can't please everyone, and I understand that. But why would you limit yourself with how many people you can entertain?

Quite the BD authority aren't we? These are the kind of metrics you can take to the bank!

Now that you've settled that BD only cares about rings and self-aggrandizement....and doesn't give a crap about entertainment...and (a real inside scoop :huh: ) their former alumni aren't pleased either.......now that that's out of the way...we can all rest easy.

Thanks for clearing that up for us. :doh:

• Like 3

Quite the BD authority aren't we? These are the kind of metrics you can take to the bank!

Now that you've settled that BD only cares about rings and self-aggrandizement....and doesn't give a crap about entertainment...and (a real inside scoop :huh: ) their former alumni aren't pleased either.......now that that's out of the way...we can all rest easy.

Thanks for clearing that up for us. :doh:

Wow Plan... You are a real HATER Aren't you!

Oh and get ready to take heat because somehow someway... It will be rationalized that you have taken away someones right to display their dislike! You evil evil man! :devil:

Incidentally... Someones Dislike is allowed to bleed over into their feelings about an organization, the way they as a group handle themselves and how they think as a group overall!

I don't think I'll be seeing Caberet live this year, but I think all this flack being shot the Devil's way is slightly too early... I, for one, won't be delving into this nonsense that is trashing a show before a single note has been performed.

Good luck to BD with a Dada-inspired production! I can't wait to hear and see what the organization has in store for audiences this fall.

• Like 3

Don't you know, all corps are supposed to be the same. 21 Corps go on the field, one right after the other, with relatively similar designs, movements and music (with varying degrees of music selection and execution)........ and then one corps tries something new (i.e. chairs to elevate and change the visual plane, mirrors to complicate the effect and play tricks with the eyes, music that fractures our norms and standards and is unconditional ..... and they freak out! "Do what we're used to, do what we know, do what we remember!".....if you fail to entertain us... we'll say "ni" to you! :blink:

I agree, usually it's:

Intro

Transition

1st Movement

Ballad

Drum Feature

Exciting Closer

Or:

Intro

Drum Feature

1st Movement

Ballad

Exciting Closer (Or down closer)

BD show structure:

:poke::dancin::juggle::felloff::excl:

I love that they're different. They might not have as many fans as other corps, but the do have fans.

• Like 1

I agree, usually it's:

Intro

Transition

1st Movement

Ballad

Drum Feature

Exciting Closer

Or:

Intro

Drum Feature

1st Movement

Ballad

Exciting Closer (Or down closer)

BD show structure:

:poke::dancin::juggle::felloff::excl:

I love that they're different. They might not have as many fans as other corps, but the do have fans.

Taken with a grain of salt if that is in reality you in that funny hat in the profile pic! :devil:

HATED... yes I used the word HATE... HATED Winged Victory, I could barely recognize ANY Pegasus in it

Cheers to that - I always thought that was a terrible show for them, especially for a big anniversary year for a corps with a long history of straight-up jazz. Again, the theme overruled everything - force the music into the theme if you have to these days, even if there is no correlation whatsoever except in the titles of the individual rep.

Edited by Quad Aces