2012 Blue Devils

One question: If DCP had existed in 1975 or 1985, how many people on here would have insisted that Corps X should never play the shows that everyone now says are the classic, ground-breaking shows. I think it is true that your favorite music is what you listened to in high school, and it seems to often be true here that people want Corps not to innovate, not to evolve. Their favorite corps music is what they first encountered in an audience or on a football field. There might be a hard corps group of people who would drive across the country to see G bugles and marching tympani, but there's always a group of people who push to return to the old days in any venue- sports, politics, civil rights, on and on. It's all over this website- look at the long thread where people want corps to march THE SAME EXACT SHOWS they had marched before. Ten years from now this show will be one that some people insist that BD emulate. And they won't. And that's why they are elite.

• Like 2

I think it is true that your favorite music is what you listened to in high school

My guess, just a pure hunch here,is that your perception is that most other DCP'ers favorite music is " what we listened to in high school ", but that YOUR favorite music that you listen to is much more sophisticated than THAT as you have evolved beyond the " high school music liking stage " to a much higher level of music appreciation levels than most everyone else on here.

Did I get the sense of this correct, or are you one of us mere mortal populists too that appear to you to be stuck in our apparent gum chewing days of musical offerings too ?

Edited by BRASSO

there's always a group of people who push to return to the old days

So,... are you referring to the "push to return to the the old days " found at the Club Voltaire in posh and ritzy Zurich, Switzerland in 1916 ?

Edited by BRASSO

Yeah...those evil evil drum corps fans out there....all they want is to be entertained, excited, inspired by what they see and hear corps present on the drum corps field. How dare they voice their concerns about shows or corps that has not provided them a great audible and visual experience......so evil...

Actually TF, I think you missed BBB's sarcasm in his calling me a "hater".....read it again!

And you need not be too concerned....BD will be just fine..struggling as they are competitively and going unnoticed so often. Not making your top ten will not exactly shake them to the bone.

Finally, your comment about their lack of swagger recently...Are we taking about the Blue Devils that wear like blue, black and white uniforms and come from CA? Just checkin'.

Edited by Plan9
  • Like 3

So,... are you referring to the "push to return to the the old days " found at the Club Voltaire in posh and ritzy Zurich, Switzerland in 1916 ?

Well played, sir.

My guess, just a pure hunch here,is that your perception is that most other DCP'ers favorite music is " what we listened to in high school ", but that YOUR favorite music that you listen to is much more sophisticated than THAT as you have evolved beyond the " high school music liking stage " to a much higher level of music appreciation levels than most everyone else on here.

Did I get the sense of this correct, or are you one of us mere mortal populists too that appear to you to be stuck in our apparent gum chewing days of musical offerings too ?

No, you'd be wrong. That expression actually came from my boss at a radio station where I used to DJ, and I agree with him. I am, however, by most definitions, an elite pompous ###, so okay.

• Like 2

Well played, sir.

I give credit to BD for deciding to push the envelope, as they say. Just so long as they extend the courtesy to me to return to sender that envelope if I find that it lacks the neccessary postage, you know what I'm sayin' ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 5

Ten years from now this show will be one that some people insist that BD emulate. And they won't. And that's why they are elite.

That has absolutely nothing to do with why BD is elite - they are elite because whatever the staff decides to do for a show is executed incredibly well year after year. And because that is the case, they continue to get very talented individuals to audition and staff willing to work with them, thus perpetuating the excellence. They certainly are not elite because people want them to emulate old shows and they won't.

• Like 1

Even though not a note has been played nor a step marched several of you seem to have already condemned the BD 2012 production.

Based on what.... two words?

• Like 1

One question: If DCP had existed in 1975 or 1985, how many people on here would have insisted that Corps X should never play the shows that everyone now says are the classic, ground-breaking shows.

In the 70's and 80's some fans were not fans of BD due to primarily jealousy reasons. It was rare back then however for BD to have such angst on the part of many national fans on their SHOWS. By and large, the national audiences loved the BD shows in the 70's and 80's.... each year they moved the envelope then too.Much of their music in the 70's and 80's was not all that familiar to most audiences either. Additionaly, one would be hard pressed to find a BD alum from ( say '74-76, ) not liking the shows of BD in the 80's. They might quibble on which Corps were better, but the BD alums were not as disapointed as many of the BD alums are today with the BD shows of late.... as well executed and performed as they have been.

BD has never been a Corps that stood still. They always took risks. They played " Tommy " after playing some years of Jazz. Its not so much that most audiences don't like " change ", its that they want the change to be appealing. SOME fans don't want any change. Thats true. But on the whole they are small in number compared to those that are willing to be open to the new. Most fans will accept a change in style and show if it is appealing to them. But thats been the rub with BD of late it seems to me. They have the talent, staff, resources, and they place well because they execute and perform their show well. But thats a bit different than generating audience appeal with their progessive need to push the envelope. BD has almost always pushed the envelope. Its just that its been difficult for them to find the audience receptions to their recent shows of late that for years and years was almost a given that it would have mass appeal with national audiences.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 2