2012 Blue Devils

There's a huge difference between "insinuating lack of intelligence" and "lack of open mindedness". If you choose to make that leap yourself, you do it on your own.

true. however, and we've gone round about this in the past, your delivery is what causes you the issue here

• Like 2

Just thought that I'd add some evidentiary support here.

I've attended the Murfreesboro show for going on thirteen years now. Surprisingly enough, the crowd is well-informed about drum corps history, the present things going on with the corps/staffs, and responds well to every show with tons of enthusiasm...except for BD since '04 (with a good response to the first half of '07 as well).

Why?

Because the shows don't engage the audience. Art can be successful on multiple levels if you allow it to be. I see BD's shows as of late not as avant guarde, but as forced pseudo-intellectualism. If one has the intent to make something high-brow, he or she usually fails and the product turns out to be "weird" or disjointed. It was mentioned in another post that BD's design team is so in sync with one another. Maybe they've reached a point where they aren't fully aware of their designs? Maybe they can no longer self-edit? Who knows...until they realize that engaging most of the audience is the goal, they'll be bashed on here and in the stands.

I'd add in the Godfather show

I'm not sure about that...I think more to the point is how it will be arranged and designed is whatmay cause flack.

I'm not expecting BD to turn back the clock to 1988. I'd just like a show with long melodic phrases without so much smoke and mirrors visually, drum parts that don't come off as ramming for the sake of ramming. Yes they have visual demand, but a lotof times the demand is masked and not easily idenitifiable.

Hey Jeff

1st good luck with baby coming......now BD...lol......I think just like most art forms the same reasons you mention that people dont like BD or would like changed is also the same reasons some love them. Opinions on both sides can be debated forever just as some have debated artists, or composers through the ages.

Hey Jeff

1st good luck with baby coming......now BD...lol......I think just like most art forms the same reasons you mention that people dont like BD or would like changed is also the same reasons some love them. Opinions on both sides can be debated forever just as some have debated artists, or composers through the ages.

true...but thankfully, unlike the guard world, DCI won't play Turning Tables to point you want to shoot people on sight when you hear it!

as for the baby...thanks. she really liked hearing indoor drumlines this past weekend in Wildwood

• Like 1

I'd add in the Godfather show

I really liked the BD Godfather show.

true. however, and we've gone round about this in the past, your delivery is what causes you the issue here

Half of communication is delivery...the other half is reception. This is an old tune from you Jeff...but you do have this penchant for the past! :-}

And speaking of delivery.....are you a Dad yet? If so, congratz!

Edited by Plan9

I think that could be said about other corps also. I think BD takes more heat on the subject only because they are on top most of the time. Nooone really talks about the lack of entertainment with a corps scoring low although that area as in all areas can be debated if something is or isnt entertaining or good.

This is totally accurate. That's what I was insinuting with the # of posts on this thread comment.....bottom line: If you win too consistently...you get heat. That comes with the territory.

• Like 1

This is totally accurate. That's what I was insinuting with the # of posts on this thread comment.....bottom line: If you win too consistently...you get heat. That comes with the territory.

It would be a misread of national audience sentiment to conclude that a tepid crowd response to a show performance is due to a Corps " winning consisently ". Cavs " win consistently"... so don't The Cadets. BD has gotten great crowd responses to their winning shows in the past too.

It would be a misread of national audience sentiment to conclude that a tepid crowd response to a show performance is due to a Corps " winning consisently ". Cavs " win consistently"... so don't The Cadets. BD has gotten great crowd responses to their winning shows in the past too.

There are no absolutes here. Out of the box, counter-intuitive designs?...yes! ABBD....yes as well!