I'm having a party,

Carolina Crown 2008

Phantom Regiment 2008

The Cadets 2007

The Cavaliers 2006

I like the idea that BRASSO said about a highlights clip... So maybe a "Best of 2010" video and "Best of 2009" as well, to finish off my 6 choices.

If you are showing it to a general audience, the shows need to be full of energy and just keep the viewers engaged. Of course there are plenty of shows from those 5 years that would be great to show, but IMO at least show those 4 shows. Maybe Phantom Regiment or Blue Devils from 2007.

When we show DCI shows, the Cavaliers usually get the most attention by the students. I think the exciting drill and music tend to interest the students. 2006, 08, and 2010 are the best 3 of those years. I know whenever we go to the BOA show in Bloomington, the BOA kids go ape over the Cavies shows. Crown had some great entertaining shows and Bluecoats Knockout show seemed pretty popular with our kids as well. Blue Devils Godfather show is also another one that gained some attention.

Too bad you don't have access to earlier shows, as Velvet Knights 92(and a lot of their other years) and SCV 89 have always been classroom favorites. Blue Devils Tommy and 95 Carpe Noctem shows have also been extremely popular over the years.

Sad as it is, a lot of my favorite shows over the years, like some of the Broadway and Jazz shows, just don't seem to excite my students as much. And shows that I love like 94 and 2004 SCV, the students don't care for at all, other than the cool tricks at the end of the shows(changing colorguard in 94, and girl who changed in the tunnel in 04).

But it seems the kids today care more about a few theatrics and cool drill, more than the music performed.

How about showing an 'on the road' type dvd, before you show a completed show?

Show your guests what goes into being a corps member - from tying out, thru city after city, to finals.....and how members feel about the process.

Phantom Regiment calls theirs 'On the Road - (year)' and shows a snapshot of different points during the season.

I'm sure other corps do the same thing.

This way, its not just the theatrics but a feeling of what drum corps means to the performers.

BAH. 6 years of DVDS? Lock the doors and make them watch them all devil.gif

LOL! That would make you the anti-me! (I said 6 shows was too many and would drive the newbies away)

+++

Questions to the OP: What genre does YOUR band play? Classical, jazz, sounds of Sousa?

And if you would, list a few of the songs your band has played the last couple of years, especially the tunes the band LOVED to play.

LOL! That would make you the anti-me! (I said 6 shows was too many and would drive the newbies away)

+++

Questions to the OP: What genre does YOUR band play? Classical, jazz, sounds of Sousa?

And if you would, list a few of the songs your band has played the last couple of years, especially the tunes the band LOVED to play.

As far as marching band goes we've done:

Gloria (a lot like Cavies 89)

Godzilla Eats Las Vegas

New World Symphony (Kinda dull arrangement, not very popular with everyone)

The Machines (Gilroy original show, favorite overall show from everyone, our drum break consisted of a very similar body movement sequence like the Cavies did in 200769)

Rituals (March form Symphonic Metamorphosis and Danse Bachanale, everyone loved Bachanale, hated the Symphonic Metamorphosis)

La Fiesta Mexicana (close second favorite show from most of the kids I talked to)

Our director gets a lot of inspiration from Cavies, Cadets, and Phantom.

Basically waht I'm getting from here is cut it down to maybe 3 or 4 shows? And I REALLY like the showing them without telling who placed what then take a poll to get them involved. And do a little preshow explanation so they know what's coming.

What about Bluecoats 2007? That's a REALLY fun show that's flashy and in your face, I still love it even after getting over the initial O MAI GOSH bando phase. Definitely getting that I should use Phantom 2008 and Cavaliers 2006.

And since we did Bachanale and everyone seemed to really enjoy performing it, maybe Boston 2009?

Edited by DrumManTx

As far as marching band goes we've done:

Gloria (a lot like Cavies 89)

Godzilla Eats Las Vegas

New World Symphony (Kinda dull arrangement, not very popular with everyone)

The Machines (Gilroy original show, favorite overall show from everyone, our drum break consisted of a very similar body movement sequence like the Cavies did in 200769)

Rituals (March form Symphonic Metamorphosis and Danse Bachanale, everyone loved Bachanale, hated the Symphonic Metamorphosis)

La Fiesta Mexicana (close second favorite show from most of the kids I talked to)

Our director gets a lot of inspiration from Cavies, Cadets, and Phantom.

Basically waht I'm getting from here is cut it down to maybe 3 or 4 shows? And I REALLY like the showing them without telling who placed what then take a poll to get them involved. And do a little preshow explanation so they know what's coming.

What about Bluecoats 2007? That's a REALLY fun show that's flashy and in your face, I still love it even after getting over the initial O MAI GOSH bando phase. Definitely getting that I should use Phantom 2008 and Cavaliers 2006.

And since we did Bachanale and everyone seemed to really enjoy performing it, maybe Boston 2009?

Hmm...

If you limit it to three...

I'd say PR 2008, Cavies 2006 and Cadets 2011.

2006 Madison

2007 BD

2008 Carolina

2009 SCV

2010 Madison

2007 Carolina

2008 Phantom would be good ones

I think 6 is fine. It's a little over an hour, people can talk over it, and have snacks.... and whatever.

What??? Are you kidding me? We are talking about TEENAGERS here! If you owned a significant amount of teenagers as I have, you would soon realize they have the attention span of a gnat! :w00t:

Now if you offered them food after each show, you might have a little better chance of capturing their attention.

But just a small, better chance. :cool:

Edited by wvu80