When was that trick added?

Over the years, there have been some pretty cool endings. As the years roll by, the timing on them slips as to when they added them.

Does anyone remember what part of the season any of the following things were added, feel free to add your own favorite end of season changes.

VK 92 shark. 20 years ago, one of the crowd favorite shows, with probably the funniest ending ever, with the "fat lady" getting eaten by the shark. I can't remember now, but did they use that ending before finals week, or was that a last minute add. I have heard they picked up the shark at a high school along the way? Any more details on that?

94 SCV colorguard change at the end. I don't think they had the colorguard change when the hornlines crossed mid season, but I am pretty sure they had it all during finals week. Did they add this the week before?

89 SCV- Disappearing Phantom- I seem to recall this was very late season possibly the week before finals again?

2000 BD, guy running off the field and up the stair of the stadium- I don't remember this in quarters or semis, I am pretty sure this only happened on finals. Does anyone know what the story was on this, I don't think I ever did hear. Was it to signify he went crazy at the end?

85 SCV tunnel change- I don't think I saw them many times early in the season, did they change pants all summer long, or just during finals week?

Jersey Surf-Take the penalty- was that a finals week only thing, or had they done that all season? Totally cool.

SCV Bottle Dance fiasco(no offense meant to the Vanguard). I am sorry I can't remember the year, but I remember SCV pulling bottle dance out at finals, and while it sounded pretty cool that night, looking back at the video, the crowd just was so overwhelmingly loud that the corps lost all sense of timing. Probably one of the more insane crowd moments. I remember seeing the faces on a few of the colorguard members as they were trying to pull it together, realizing the the hornline, drumline and drum majors were on 3 separate counts(maybe more)

Bluecoats Criminal-what night did they pull the old uniform out of the closet? I can't remember now if they used it for all 3 shows, or just finals, but I am almost sure they didn't use it the week before. One of my all time last minute change favorites.

Blue Devils-Summertime Blues 2004- I remember a parent of the Blue Devils telling me the new ending was going to be extremely cool, they wouldn't tell me what it was going to be. And the funny thing was, even though I saw that show 5 or 6 times live before that, I can't even remember the former ending. I always thought it seemed kind of murky. But on Saturday, when they left out of the tunnel. AWESOME!!! I remember the kind of staggered surprised reaction from the people in the stands that night.

Blue Stars Le Tour 2008. I think they added the bicycle crossing the finish line at quarters didn't they, or was that added before finals week?

I know there are probably so many more I am forgetting, so please add on, and if you have any stories about how any of these changes came about, please share. Nothing like a great change during finals week. Or if you remember exactly when in the season these changes took place, that would cool to jog the old memory.

• Like 1

Last year's Phantom Regiment ended the show with Juliets death by sword.

We knew it was coming - but was best suited for the very last performance.

Same way with the Drum Major/Head Military Guy's death at Finals for Sparticus in 2008.

IMO, a corps needs to save one 'ace in the hole' for that final performance, as it just might put them over the top!

Edited by rkfdPRphan
  • Like 1

I believe Surf's "take the penalty" was finals only. They were in the big show and didn't have much, if anything, to lose.

I believe Surf's "take the penalty" was finals only. They were in the big show and didn't have much, if anything, to lose.

I still have to say, whether or not they had anything to lose, it was one of the most exciting shows in Open Class. I wish they still had that same excitement, but I have to say I have been disappointed in the direction they have taken since going World Class. Their shows have been good, and very well performed, but I miss their old style.

• Like 1

94 SCV colorguard change at the end. I don't think they had the colorguard change when the hornlines crossed mid season, but I am pretty sure they had it all during finals week. Did they add this the week before?

I am almost certain I remember seeing it at Allentown. Wouldn't bet the bank on it though.

Over the years, there have been some pretty cool endings. As the years roll by, the timing on them slips as to when they added them.

Does anyone remember what part of the season any of the following things were added, feel free to add your own favorite end of season changes.

VK 92 shark. 20 years ago, one of the crowd favorite shows, with probably the funniest ending ever, with the "fat lady" getting eaten by the shark. I can't remember now, but did they use that ending before finals week, or was that a last minute add. I have heard they picked up the shark at a high school along the way? Any more details on that?

Saw them in Nashville about 3 weeks before finals and the shark was not in then

85 SCV tunnel change- I don't think I saw them many times early in the season, did they change pants all summer long, or just during finals week?

It was in early in the season. Had the freebie seats in Pleasant Hill (endzone) and it gave away the trick.

SCV Bottle Dance fiasco(no offense meant to the Vanguard). I am sorry I can't remember the year, but I remember SCV pulling bottle dance out at finals, and while it sounded pretty cool that night, looking back at the video, the crowd just was so overwhelmingly loud that the corps lost all sense of timing. Probably one of the more insane crowd moments. I remember seeing the faces on a few of the colorguard members as they were trying to pull it together, realizing the the hornline, drumline and drum majors were on 3 separate counts(maybe more)

1982 in Montreal it was put in just for finals and with the crowd noise and 10 yard line spread massive phasing between sides. Still one of the hottest endings in DCI history. They also pulled it out for finals in 1979.

That was in from the start. However, I think there was a slight color guard change that was added. I could be wrong, though.

Edited by skajerk

Blue Stars Le Tour 2008. I think they added the bicycle crossing the finish line at quarters didn't they, or was that added before finals week?

Pretty sure you're right about it adding at quarters.

When did the Blue Devils start taking off their jackets for 'When a Man Loves a Woman' in '92? I saw that show in Atlanta, around a week or 10 days before finals, and I'm pretty sure that they didn't take them off then. But, I was really young then...

I know there are probably so many more I am forgetting, so please add on, and if you have any stories about how any of these changes came about, please share. Nothing like a great change during finals week. Or if you remember exactly when in the season these changes took place, that would cool to jog the old memory.

VK was on tour in the south and staying at a high school that had the shark sitting in the corner of the band room. The band had used it for their previous show and didn't know what to do with it. The instructors asked the band director what it was doing there and he told them that if they would take it away, they could have it.

SCV added "Bottle Dance" in Finals in 1982. They practiced it inside their school gym and never took it outside, so it would stay a secret. If it wasn't for the echo of the Montreal Olympic Stadium overhang, the two sides of the horns might have pulled it off. Members also recount that the drum major did something with his hat and that caused one side to think the downbeat was somewhere where it wasn't. I didn't know it had happened until I heard the recording weeks later...the crowd was that loud.

I was at the Blue Stars rehearsal with Bill Cook at Star of Indiana's old corps hall practice field Finals week when they put in the bicycle for the first time. One of the bass drummers didn't get the message and did a backflip over the bike as he was backing up while facing backfield. The instructors asked me to not mention the addition to anyone because they wanted to surprise everyone in the stadium.