When was that trick added?

In 1992, I believe we first took our jackets off at Ypsilanti, MI, about a week before finals. The show's name has stayed in my mind all of these years because the crowd's reaction was, well...they had no idea what to make of it. There was a small smattering of applause at the end, but a larger sense of WTH was that? For that first show, we simply just took off our jackets, since we were just beginning to work the kinks out of the process. I do remember working the timing of taking things off constantly, as it was all choreographed to the music of the intro.

VK was on tour in the south and staying at a high school that had the shark sitting in the corner of the band room. The band had used it for their previous show and didn't know what to do with it. The instructors asked the band director what it was doing there and he told them that if they would take it away, they could have it.

SCV added "Bottle Dance" in Finals in 1982. They practiced it inside their school gym and never took it outside, so it would stay a secret. If it wasn't for the echo of the Montreal Olympic Stadium overhang, the two sides of the horns might have pulled it off. Members also recount that the drum major did something with his hat and that caused one side to think the downbeat was somewhere where it wasn't. I didn't know it had happened until I heard the recording weeks later...the crowd was that loud.

I was at the Blue Stars rehearsal with Bill Cook at Star of Indiana's old corps hall practice field Finals week when they put in the bicycle for the first time. One of the bass drummers didn't get the message and did a backflip over the bike as he was backing up while facing backfield. The instructors asked me to not mention the addition to anyone because they wanted to surprise everyone in the stadium.

Thanks for the updates. I have to say I would like to see what they did with the shark in that high school production. I'm guessing it probably isn't online somewhere, is it?

The SCV show in 82(dang, couldn't remember the year for the life of me) I was so excited, because Bottle Dance came out of nowhere. I remember there were a couple of girls in the guard who looked kind of confused during it. I just thought it was because they had changed it that morning. When I saw the video, and heard the sides being off, I could then see how they had looked confused, hearing different beats. I know the roar of the crowd didn't help anyone get back on beat that night. Great new ending though.

I have to say with Blue Stars, while it was a great ending, it really didn't seem to be much of a surprise. That was an ending you could almost see happening in advance. But that show definitely seemed to be a turning point in bringing back the Blue Stars to their great days in the 70s.

2000 BD, guy running off the field and up the stair of the stadium- I don't remember this in quarters or semis, I am pretty sure this only happened on finals. Does anyone know what the story was on this, I don't think I ever did hear. Was it to signify he went crazy at the end?

Mmm, most of the music in the closer was from "North by Northwest", and Cary Grant spends a lot of that movie running from the bad guys (think the crop-duster in the cornfield). I figured the guy was just an homage to that.

Last year's Phantom Regiment ended the show with Juliet's death by sword.

We knew it was coming -- but it was best suited for the very last performance.

Same way with the Drum Major/Head Military Guy's death at Finals for Spartacus in 2008.

Didn't that first happen at Allentown?

• Like 1

Thanks for the updates. I have to say I would like to see what they did with the shark in that high school production. I'm guessing it probably isn't online somewhere, is it?

The SCV show in 82(dang, couldn't remember the year for the life of me) I was so excited, because Bottle Dance came out of nowhere. I remember there were a couple of girls in the guard who looked kind of confused during it. I just thought it was because they had changed it that morning. When I saw the video, and heard the sides being off, I could then see how they had looked confused, hearing different beats. I know the roar of the crowd didn't help anyone get back on beat that night. Great new ending though.

I have to say with Blue Stars, while it was a great ending, it really didn't seem to be much of a surprise. That was an ending you could almost see happening in advance. But that show definitely seemed to be a turning point in bringing back the Blue Stars to their great days in the 70s.

You could say SCV had 2 endings that night - both great...

• Like 1

Didn't that first happen at Allentown?

Not too sure if it first happened in Allentown, but it was definitely there.

Speaking of changing endings, do The Cavaliers always debut their new ending at Atlanta? If I remember correctly, they did this for Mad World and XtraordinarY, but I'm not too sure as far as before then.

I don't know which high school it was, and video cameras were not a really huge deal yet, still very expensive and bulky.

I saw BD in Birmingham or Jackson in 92 and they were July shows. The jackets came off.

Rondo commented at Finals about SCV's tunnel uniform change - Velcro, but even if onecould tell that from a seat looking into the tunnel, I don't know how they did it so fast without just dumping the greens on the ground.

Kevin

I saw BD in Birmingham or Jackson in 92 and they were July shows. The jackets came off.

Rondo commented at Finals about SCV's tunnel uniform change - Velcro, but even if onecould tell that from a seat looking into the tunnel, I don't know how they did it so fast without just dumping the greens on the ground.

Kevin

If you watch the 1985 dvd, you can see them start to grip the velcro as they are entering the tunnel. Especially as they speed up for the last set of people going through. I have to say, velcro or not, that is still impressive how quickly they get them off. i wonder if earlier in the season, if they had problems with people not being able to get them off quick enough. i really wish i could have seen the first show when they did the change that season.

No question about it, MA and I think because of what SCV and others were doing, there was more of a "wow" factor in the 80s and this includes 2-7s drill, SCV 87 opener and Wizard, Cadets 83 - 87 and much more.

Still don't know if SCV dropped the greens or hung them up. Could you see?

Kevin