Cadets "job" openings

Ok...can someone please clarify this for me. I am reading YEA's website and they have postings for 2 summer job openings. Now as I read each job description I see that there is a "fee" involved for both openings.

I know Cadets go against the norm and start marching with their right foot, but do they also have another definition of "fee"? If it is a job opening I would hope they arent expecting the person who gets the job to pay to be on tour with them. I would hope that person would be getting paid.

So is the word "fee" different in Cadets world?

• Like 1

Wow, their tour fees are $3500 for marching members, and they are having people pay $3000 for staff positions?

thumbdown.gif

• Like 3

Ok...can someone please clarify this for me. I am reading YEA's website and they have postings for 2 summer job openings. Now as I read each job description I see that there is a "fee" involved for both openings.

I know Cadets go against the norm and start marching with their right foot, but do they also have another definition of "fee"? If it is a job opening I would hope they arent expecting the person who gets the job to pay to be on tour with them. I would hope that person would be getting paid.

So is the word "fee" different in Cadets world?

I understood it to mean that the "fee" is what the person would be paid. As based on the descriptions they are definitely jobs that will involve a lot of work.

Perhaps just some bad wording.

Edited by Beckham

1335593590[/url]' post='3135658']

I understood it to mean that the "fee" is what the person would be paid. As based on the descriptions they are definitely jobs that will involve a lot of work.

Perhaps just some bad wording.

I hope so. If it was a paying position, I would fully support it. Perhaps someone from YEA! Will see this forum and clarify, or they will do some editing on their original post on their website.

It simply means that George should not be writing everything (seems there are a lot of great people there, surely drafting a job description like this could be delegated?).

It also means the guys they hire will get paid.

On the topic... this is gold.

Bottom line, if you can't delegate nearly every task outside the core strategic decision-making of the organization, there is a breakdown somewhere... could be the people, could be the system of communication and reporting, could be just control issues.

Whatever it is, CEO of an org the size of YEA actually writing job descriptions is a symptom of a larger issue and demonstrates that the individual and organization are not working as efficiently as they should. I've never seen anyone in my entire life that works as hard as he does, really. But working harder doesn't mean more gets done. It took me a long time to realize that it is sometimes exactly the opposite.

Were I on the YEA board, I would push to limit his working hours outside of tours/camps to 40 hours per week (band stuff should be able to run itself... if it can't, find the right fit of people so that it can). So much more would get done and the company would be much more focused as there would be an entirely different level and prioritization, planning and delegation.

• Like 1

People who are overally critical of YEA and The Cadets org irk me. Seems like people believe they do everything wrong and yet YEA/Cadets consistently deliver, grow and achieve great success. No organization, especially non profits, are perfect but the vibe I get from people on this forum, in general, you'd think YEA is an evil plot to destroy marching music. Most of the time it feels like people are looking for reasons to disagree or go against the organization. Not saying criticism is bad but this is just the vibe I'm getting from different posters when it comes to YEA. They can't do anything without some knee jerk criticism or backlash, even for good things like giving scholarships to musicians... Don't put words in my mouth when responding I wasn't even sure how to relay my thoughts about this into words.

• Like 7

Wow, their tour fees are $3500 for marching members, and they are having people pay $3000 for staff positions?

thumbdown.gif

The word "fee" can be utilized to describe a payment given to professional people for their services...as in someone does something and then receives a fee. It's not just paid by but also paid to. As is always the case, I would personally suggest not jumping down someone's throat until figuring out the context of what is meant.

And by jumping down one's throat, I'm not implying that anyone should open up George's trachea and stick both legs down his gullet while leaping off a trampoline. Prithee, I would be fain to clepe a lackaday gardyloo of quothe "fi" swoopstake, maugre how swith puissant their amain yare.

[Edit: I'm feeling much better now.]

Edited by Michael Boo