Cadets "job" openings

It simply means that George should not be writing everything (seems there are a lot of great people there, surely drafting a job description like this could be delegated?).

It also means the guys they hire will get paid.

On the topic... this is gold.

Bottom line, if you can't delegate nearly every task outside the core strategic decision-making of the organization, there is a breakdown somewhere... could be the people, could be the system of communication and reporting, could be just control issues.

Whatever it is, CEO of an org the size of YEA actually writing job descriptions is a symptom of a larger issue and demonstrates that the individual and organization are not working as efficiently as they should. I've never seen anyone in my entire life that works as hard as he does, really. But working harder doesn't mean more gets done. It took me a long time to realize that it is sometimes exactly the opposite.

Were I on the YEA board, I would push to limit his working hours outside of tours/camps to 40 hours per week (band stuff should be able to run itself... if it can't, find the right fit of people so that it can). So much more would get done and the company would be much more focused as there would be an entirely different level and prioritization, planning and delegation.

I am sure that he feels otherwise... tongue.gif

It simply means that George should not be writing everything (seems there are a lot of great people there, surely drafting a job description like this could be delegated?).

It also means the guys they hire will get paid.

On the topic... this is gold.

Bottom line, if you can't delegate nearly every task outside the core strategic decision-making of the organization, there is a breakdown somewhere... could be the people, could be the system of communication and reporting, could be just control issues.

Whatever it is, CEO of an org the size of YEA actually writing job descriptions is a symptom of a larger issue and demonstrates that the individual and organization are not working as efficiently as they should. I've never seen anyone in my entire life that works as hard as he does, really. But working harder doesn't mean more gets done. It took me a long time to realize that it is sometimes exactly the opposite.

Were I on the YEA board, I would push to limit his working hours outside of tours/camps to 40 hours per week (band stuff should be able to run itself... if it can't, find the right fit of people so that it can). So much more would get done and the company would be much more focused as there would be an entirely different level and prioritization, planning and delegation.

You're a wonderful micromanager, aren't you?

• Like 1

You're a wonderful micromanager, aren't you?

I'm the exact opposite of a micro-manager. Started a new company recently. Learned A LOT through trial and error of previous ventures. I sort of like a different approach were taking with having only people involved that don't need to be managed. They just do their thing... what they already know needs to be done.. exactly how, where and when they want. It seems to be working.

The need to be managed seems to be directly proportionate to the level of competence and experience of each individual and how much they "get" what you are trying to do.

Better to spend more and have people that are very competent, spend more to contract things out to laser-focused and highly-experienced individuals instead of trying to do things in house.

A whole other topic, but... drum corps as a whole (not just YEA) could do so many things more virtually and be far more effective (while still spending less).

This probably deserves a dedicated topic... with full details, as there really isn't much value in me just saying that it could be a certain way without revealing the specifics of how, why and how much.

Edited by danielray

The word "fee" can be utilized to describe a payment given to professional people for their services...as in someone does something and then receives a fee. It's not just paid by but also paid to. As is always the case, I would personally suggest not jumping down someone's throat until figuring out the context of what is meant.

And by jumping down one's throat, I'm not implying that anyone should open up George's trachea and stick both legs down his gullet while leaping off a trampoline. Prithee, I would be fain to clepe a lackaday gardyloo of quothe "fi" swoopstake, maugre how swith puissant their amain yare.

[Edit: I'm feeling much better now.]

You could get some serious GE scores for that.

Begs the question - if someone is used as 'equipment' do the age rules apply to that person?

People who are overally critical of YEA and The Cadets org irk me. Seems like people believe they do everything wrong and yet YEA/Cadets consistently deliver, grow and achieve great success. No organization, especially non profits, are perfect but the vibe I get from people on this forum, in general, you'd think YEA is an evil plot to destroy marching music. Most of the time it feels like people are looking for reasons to disagree or go against the organization. Not saying criticism is bad but this is just the vibe I'm getting from different posters when it comes to YEA. They can't do anything without some knee jerk criticism or backlash, even for good things like giving scholarships to musicians... Don't put words in my mouth when responding I wasn't even sure how to relay my thoughts about this into words.

I'm overly critical of the organization because I don't want to lose the Cadets. They are a great corps with a great history. And I feel like the corps is not in the best hands anymore. Sure he puts a great design and instructional staff in front of his drum corps. And he should leave them alone and let them do their job. And he should concentrate more on running his business more efficiently, than begging people for money every two seconds.

I love the Cadets. I loved last year's show. Historically they are one of my favorite corps. I just wish things from up top were ran better. Especially in today's economy there is very little room for error before things start catching up to you. The business model cannot be the same at YEA as it was in the 90's or 2000's.

And Charlie, you can't always see everything in maroon colored glasses.

Your optimism about all things drum corps is a breath of fresh air at times. But I personally can't stay optimistic when there are certain things in reality holding it back.

• Like 1

And can he please hire a PR guy?

When I originally read the job posting. I saw Fee and it blew my mind at first. But then I realized he just worded it kinda odd. Would be some cool jobs to do and an interesting experience. But I'll make more at Wawa over the summer.

• Like 1

You could get some serious GE scores for that.

Begs the question - if someone is used as 'equipment' do the age rules apply to that person?

:)

Well, I haven't seen anything in the rules, other than the prohibition against animals and pyrotechnics (and a limitation on water), that specifies equipment can't be a carbon-based humanoid. However, I'm guessing if they moved at all, they would be effectively contributing their talents to the production and then the corps would be using overage members. Perhaps if they were only used as skeletons or encased in Carbonite like Han Solo, then that might not be an issue.

Still, I imagine it would hard to move someone around the field as equipment, and it would certainly be difficult to spin or toss them. I can see humans being used in a show about Marie Antoinette, but a corps would need a steady supply of Maries, and Marie Czapinski would be off-limits, despite how truthful she calls things in June.

A lot of assumptions being made on this thread and most are not exactly accurate.

The Cadets have a good size business staff, which is well run. There are some vacancies, and when they see fit to try to fill them they will advertize.

As Director, and absent an HR person on the staff, it is totally appropriate for Hop to sign off on job descriptions. We shouldn't assume that because he did, he writes them. They have a library of job descriptions, handbooks on how to write them, and staff members who know how to handle them.

Hop doesn't need to stay in the office when he already has full-time business managers capable of handling all business matters. I have seen their tax return (public information available from the IRS), and they are in good shape. It may not be the same model as 10 and 20 years ago, so it probably has evolved, and look at the expansion in programs, USBBA, inner city music education, C2

As for communications, other topics have discussed the Cadets communications and many Commentators have stated that no one communicates more than the Cadets, with complainers saying they communicate too much. Why would they need to add a Communicator to the staff, with one more salary, when they're already among the best in the business?

I think we should give Hop great credit that when he goes on the road, not only is he recruiting and promoting the Cadets, but he is giving talks to music educators about how to have excellent organizations - a very effective way to promote Drum Corps.

Lastly, for now, USBBA does not run by itself. They have a professional staff that runs that side of the organization.

The translation into Olde English will be assigned to Beoowulf.

Kevin

• Like 3