Spirit 2012

umm let's see here......i know a very talented flute player who marched Cadets for a few years on mello recently and did extremely well. I went to school with several others mainly sax players and a clarinet player who marched corps such as Blue Devils, Cavaliers, and Carolina Crown.....all phenomenal hornlines...oh and did I mention being on lead parts.......so yes it exists even at the upper echelon of corps. This is a non issue...........work ethic and discipline will get a you a long way. Sit back and enjoy another great season of drum corps and take a chill pill and enjoy the hard work being put in by everyone.

Go Spirit!! Can't wait to be in Atlanta for memorial weekend soon!!

• Like 3

IMO, some people in this thread are seriously underestimating the number of woodwind players that march throughout the ranks of world class corps.

And overestimating the talent of the brass players... reading this thread it sounds like all the brass players are lining up to join a symphony after they ageout and the poor woodwinds are struggling through "method book 1"

• Like 2

There was a time prior to B-flat instruments being the norm that the better drum corps in the Boston area welcomed with open arms those who marched in the CYO bands. They could read music which wasn't the case for all drum corps at the time, they already had musical experience, and they could march and were judged using the same criteria as drum corps in competitions. It seemed to work well. Now I realize that today the instruments that are used in drum corps are similar to the brass sections of bands so a greater proficiency should be expected, and the competition between DCI level corps is fierce, and every member's actions count, so it's not the ideal training ground, but we're talking about kids who already have a musical background. We're also talking about kids who are super motivated who passed an audition. Also it's not uncommon for good high school and college musicians to play more than one instrument and be proficient at let's say trumpet and guitar or piano and flute. Why not a woodwind and a brass?

work ethic and discipline will get a you a long way

Agree. I marched with a Tuba player in Drum Corps that was an accomplished pianist.. (he also was co-captain and starting LB for his High School team). What other musical instruments (or other recreational sports or hobbies ) a person is engaged in before Drum Corps is a total non factor, imo.

I moved to Athens, GA this weekend and got to go to Spirit's show and Tell session on Sunday. I could not believe it. They were fantastic and there was a super cool and relaxed vibe at camp.

Heard that Freddy Martin did a session with the corps. That must have been pretty sweet. I didn't get to see them last year, though almost auditioned. Was happy for them getting back in.

One of the staff members, I don remember his name, think it is Matt, did a good job or filling us in to more details of their Sin City show. Each movement they played seemed to go right with what he described.

The group sounds fantastic and LOUD!, of course we were in a cafetorium so that helped with volume. GREAT soloist and small brass ensemble. Some trumpets with high chops for sure.

I loved the arrangements. The jazz stuff is really gonna be sweet and the ballad is beautiful. Lots of groove, the kind you would expect with what was described as some highroller taking on the Vegas strip and

owning it big time. I have some friends who will be marching there and they seem super happy. I wish them the best of luck and can't imagine this not being another great year for them.

PS For the people highly confused about what we woodwind players can bring to the table, I am typing this while looking at my DCI world championship ring, me, a clarinet player that picked up a trumpet for the first time

year and a half ago. Oh, and I am aging out this year paying lead trumpet with my corps because I CAN!

• Like 4

Tune titles, PLEASE!!!

Excited to hear what is up!

Don't quote me, but from what i remember from their show and tell.

Lady GaGa's Pokerface

Luck be a Lady

some film score music, John Powell and others

sorry, that is all that I remember

at least after winter guard destroyed it, no Adele is included so thats a good thing

I am very excited about seeing this show. What a great and original idea that will mesh perfectly with Spirit's roots and sound.

• Like 1

Maybe Sinatra's "Luck Be a Lady" will be an encore piece for them this year!!!