Fanfare: 10 drum corps hats worthy of the Kentucky Derby

I wonder how many of those hats would make it in our current era of cookie cutter drum corps? Great article!

That was too funny... LOl!

Drum Corps News one time had a 2 caption comic cartoon picture of a marcher in Corps with a very large high hat that was unusually tall with a pointed top. In the first picture, the marcher had on the large elongated, high, tall hat. In the followup 2nd picture, we saw the marcher in the comic strip with his hat off and cupped in his right hand. Here, with the Corps hat off, we learned that the contour of his head was overly elongated upward and tall and pointed at the top as well.... haha!... This funny article brought that funny comic cartoon back in memory, Michael. Thanks for that.

Edited by BRASSO

Michael - here are a couple of links to color photos of Connexion Quebec from a concise website of Quebec Drum Corps history. André Thériault has a huge collection of photos of Quebec-based and other corps posted here.

Some of the photos show the double-rimmed hat while others show a single rim hat.

I was not aware they were a continuation of Les Chatelaines de Laval after they went co-ed.

Connexion Quebec 1

Connexion Quebec 2

Edited by LincolnV

Michael - here are a couple of links to color photos of Connexion Quebec from a concise website of Quebec Drum Corps history. André Thériault has a huge collection of photos of Quebec-based and other corps posted here.

Some of the photos show the double-rimmed hat while others show a single rim hat.

I was not aware they were a continuation of Les Chatelaines de Laval after they went co-ed.

[Links]

I wasn't aware of that, either...or else I forgot.

The double-brim hats were unusual, but the only photo I had from the DCI archives makes them look much stranger than they do in the links you provided.

I personally loved the dig at Ryan Leaf! :thumbup:

I've received a number of e-mails appreciating the article, including a couple from folks who marched in those corps the year of the hats I wrote about. But I also received the following:

Your article about the corps hats was in poor taste. Even though many were quite unique and off the wall they didn't deserve the put downs that you gave some of them.

And I nominate the Southwind "shark fins" for honorable mention.

http://www.dci.org/images/news/2006/05_10_2006_southwind68.jpg

Mike

I had written about those, but they didn't make the editor's cut. Here's what was deleted:

These hats were purchased off a marching band in Oklahoma for a show titled, “Duality,” defined as the state of having two natures, or consisting of two parts. Either that, or the corps was going to do half a “Batman” show.