Fanfare: 10 drum corps hats worthy of the Kentucky Derby

Wow.....let's be brutally honest here....it takes a REAL man to wear THOSE unis...especially the DM!

I think the only time I saw them live was the year they did the Indy Jones show in 87 (last year out)...completely diff unis (turbans for headgear, if I remember right)

'87 was the year that we (Les Eclipses) folded and sort of merged with Connexion Quebec. The '87 unis were modified Les Eclipses uniforms - I don't think any of us would have wanted to wear the Connexion ones - just too wierd (even for the '80's)

And yes - they were the co-ed reincarnation of Les Chatelaines.

Later,

Mike

[quote name='Galen' timestamp='1336061159' post='3137031']
I think the Les Chatelains' hats take the cake. Think they ever did a "Sound of Music" show wearing those?

But how could you write an article about hats in drum corps and not say a word about the king of drum corps haberdashery himself, Roman Blenski? :cool:
[/quote]
There is no way I could ever write an article about hats (plural) and simply relegate Roman's iconic cranial millenary to share billing amidst a bunch of other proletariat mantles. Roman's hat transcends being locked into a journalistic enclosure with any of its brethren. I am not sufficiently talented enough to even tackle the awesomeness of Roman's hat...it would be like me attempting to duplicate a Michelangelo marble sculpture...in Silly Putty. It would be like me trying to paint the Mona Lisa by firing paintballs at the side of a barn. It would be like me endeavoring to build a functional aircraft carrier out of toothpicks and duct tape.

Darn it; I'm only a mortal! I can't take this kind of pressure! Perhaps more talented writers—like Ernest Hemingway or whoever it is that writes those "Twilight" novels in their sleep—can pull off such an Olympian and indomitably formidable undertaking.

I now must go whimper myself to sleep, where only my dreams can torture me with visions of my Brobdingnagian inadequacies.

• Like 1

'87 was the year that we (Les Eclipses) folded and sort of merged with Connexion Quebec. The '87 unis were modified Les Eclipses uniforms - I don't think any of us would have wanted to wear the Connexion ones - just too wierd (even for the '80's)

And yes - they were the co-ed reincarnation of Les Chatelaines.

Later,

Mike

Is there any video out there of the Connexion unis in action??

Is there any video out there of the Connexion unis in action??

Those uniforms were "in action" even when hanging on the corps' equipment truck. :rolleyes:

Slightly off topic, but when I think of ICONIC hats, I always think of this one:

1979Photo001.jpg

Not as in strange or unusual like most of the ones in the article, but as in COOL and representing a certain attitude and flair that the Bridgemen captured SO well.

Slightly off topic, but when I think of ICONIC hats, I always think of this one:

Not as in strange or unusual like most of the ones in the article, but as in COOL and representing a certain attitude and flair that the Bridgemen captured SO well.

Paragraph 6 discusses how the hats came to be.

For some reason, I had re-read that article just in the past few months - probably due to some thread on DCP. As always, thanks Boo for all you do! :thumbup: