Who are the 5 WC Corps you think will benefit the most with new judgin

Why would anyone want to homogenize the activity and force every corps to design shows the same?

I agree. We've never had that before in the Drum Corps activity, so it doesn't seem to make sense to " change " to that. " Change happens... but the day we force Corps to all look the same and all do basically the same shows is a " Change " that would not be good at all, imo.

I agree. We've never had that before in the Drum Corps activity, so it doesn't seem to make sense to " change " to that. " Change happens... but the day we force Corps to all look the same and all do basically the same shows is a " Change " that would not be good at all, imo.

some believe that has happened already..I personally see huge differences in corps..now the huge plumes michael C. generic uniforms then would agree in some things looking the same

Entertainment and fan favorite?

What happened to text voting?

did they actually implement this?

Last year, at the TOC Show of Shows in Rockford, IL, we DID get to text vote.

It was the oddest thing.

You were transferred to an Internet site which listed the 8 corps to vote for and you scrolled down to the corps you wanted to vote for. The site was overwhelmed with votes and the time alloted was very small.

BUT you had to have a smart phone - so a lot of 'dinos' with their flip phones didnt get to vote.

Eventho, it was a Rockford show (suggesting a Rockford audience and bias) I dont think Phantom Regiment won the vote....wasn't it Carolina Crown that night?

Are they doing to try text voting again THIS year???????

I'm all for change. I'm not for the snobbery we have over an activity that no one has heard of.

Now when I think of change, "snobbery" is a place I really see a difference for the better. I can recall attending a show in 1978 and going to a souvenir booth by a major contender. The people of this booth were in a heated discussion with the booth next door about what they both perceived as poor judging at DCI East. They were looking at prelims scores and I asked, how one of the local Massachusetts corps fared, one that happened to be in that evening's show. Both corps claimed to never have heard of the corps, and when I said they were competing that evening, I was told, by one corps "they compete against us, we don't compete against them." I think that was a pretty common attitude back then. Since that time I've been to shows where the host corps stands at exits and thanks spectators for coming to support the corps, something that never happened back in the day that I can recall. However, the thread is about judging, not corps' snobbery.

As far as the new judging is concerned, I'm not sure it is going to make a difference. If this happens to be Crown's year, or Academy makes the top twelve for the first time, or a corps advances a few spots higher or lower than last year, some will claim it's only due to the new judging, but that's to be expected. However, if we look at a perennial competitor, Blue Devils, they have been in the Top 5 since 1975, most of those years in the Top 3. They started winning when the tick system reigned supreme, and continued to be dominant as judging has changed. Like all good competitors, they know what judges are looking for and plan accordingly.

My opinion and predictions: there may be some kinks this year as judges and corps get used to the new system, but the winners and losers will be rather similar to past years.

hey! I don't have a smart phone and I'm only 26... haha

And I marched from 64-72...might even be a pre-dino...just a slurping of the primordial ooze of drum corps...and I do have a SmartPhone.... :smile:

Note...the phone is Smart...not the guy holding it! :tongue:

Now when I think of change, "snobbery" is a place I really see a difference for the better. I can recall attending a show in 1978 and going to a souvenir booth by a major contender. The people of this booth were in a heated discussion with the booth next door about what they both perceived as poor judging at DCI East. They were looking at prelims scores and I asked, how one of the local Massachusetts corps fared, one that happened to be in that evening's show. Both corps claimed to never have heard of the corps, and when I said they were competing that evening, I was told, by one corps "they compete against us, we don't compete against them." I think that was a pretty common attitude back then. Since that time I've been to shows where the host corps stands at exits and thanks spectators for coming to support the corps, something that never happened back in the day that I can recall. However, the thread is about judging, not corps' snobbery.

As far as the new judging is concerned, I'm not sure it is going to make a difference. If this happens to be Crown's year, or Academy makes the top twelve for the first time, or a corps advances a few spots higher or lower than last year, some will claim it's only due to the new judging, but that's to be expected. However, if we look at a perennial competitor, Blue Devils, they have been in the Top 5 since 1975, most of those years in the Top 3. They started winning when the tick system reigned supreme, and continued to be dominant as judging has changed. Like all good competitors, they know what judges are looking for and plan accordingly.

My opinion and predictions: there may be some kinks this year as judges and corps get used to the new system, but the winners and losers will be rather similar to past years.

I agree I dont think there will be much difference in the whos who. IMO...good is good, trained is trained, a good staff is a good staff who will study the changes to be successful. And of course a name never hurts ( i know we all hate that last thing I said BUT in what walk of life doesnt it pull at least a little weight )

Last year, at the TOC Show of Shows in Rockford, IL, we DID get to text vote.

It was the oddest thing.

You were transferred to an Internet site which listed the 8 corps to vote for and you scrolled down to the corps you wanted to vote for.

I remember that too. We dialed in and we got a text message that read :

" if you intend to vote for The Cadets.................. press 1 "

" if you intend to vote for Carolina Crown...............press 2 "

" if you intend to vote for Phantom Regiment.............press 3 "

" if you intend to vote for The Cavaliers................press 4 "

" if you intend to vote for the S.C. Vanguard............press 5 "

" if you intend to vote for the Bluecoats................press 6 "

" if you intend to vote for the Blue Stars...............press 7 "

" if you intend to vote for the Blue Devils, please hang up, and call back again later. "

• Like 4

I remember that too. We dialed in and we got a text message that read :

" if you intend to vote for The Cadets.................. press 1 "

" if you intend to vote for Carolina Crown...............press 2 "

" if you intend to vote for Phantom Regiment.............press 3 "

" if you intend to vote for The Cavaliers................press 4 "

" if you intend to vote for the S.C. Vanguard............press 5 "

" if you intend to vote for the Bluecoats................press 6 "

" if you intend to vote for the Blue Stars...............press 7 "

" if you intend to vote for the Blue Devils, please hang up, and call back again later. "

SNORT!@#$%

Looking at last season's test run, here are some placement changes for back-to-back shows with different sheets

Jul 16 Minneapolis (old) -> Jul 17 Rockford (new): Cadets +2, Crown -2

Jul 22 Houston (new) -> Jul 23 San Antonio (old): Bluecoats +1, Vanguard -1

Jul 29 Murfreesboro (new) -> Jul 30 Atlanta (old): Bluecoats +1, Vanguard -1

Aug 5/6 Allentown (old) -> Aug 7 East Rutherford (new): Cadets +1, BD -1

I conclude that anyone hoping for a wholesale shakeup of placements is probably going to be disappointed. In most of these cases, the scores were very close between the two corps that swapped, so it can probably be explained just as well by good night/bad night or the tastes of individual judges as by the different sheets.

Edited by ShortAndFast