Connecticut Hurricanes - Uniform Change

For Immediate Release

May 2, 2012

This past rehearsal weekend, it was announced to the members that the Hurricanes are making a major change to our traditional uniform. The Corps will be moving to Shakos as the head wear choice in 2012.

The choice of Shakos was met with immense support from both the Board of Directors and Members alike. The traditional Cop Hat, a defining and iconic piece of the Hurricanes' uniform, will still be worn by the Drum Majors and Honor Guard. The Hurricanes have mounted a concerted effort to update the Corps' image in 2012, starting with a fresh new logo and culminating with this choice in overall look. The management and educational staff feel this brings the Corps' field presence to a new level, providing a taller, sleeker unit and enhancing the stage for our outstanding Color Guard.

You can still be part of the new-look Hurricanes in 2012. There are still openings available in every section. Email info@cthurricanes.org if you're interested!

546731_10150740562834092_90929484091_9482325_1333564842_n.jpg

Edited by vbc33
  • Like 3

Vinny, jes' wonderin'.... with the traditional lids will the Honor Guard have the new unis or keep the old style? Asking as I did HG duties for two years and glad the Hurrcs are keeping that tradition alive.

Also my wife and I talked to your Honor Guard Sgt at the hotel in Rochester a few times at DCA (we stayed at the same place). Nice guy and funny as Hades, he was holding the door open for my wife (she uses a walker) at the back end of the motel and we thanked him as it took a while for her to get up the ramp. His reposnse was "No problem, in my previous life, I was a doorstop". :tongue:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Nice change Hurricanes!!!! It's great to be able to update a look without throwing away your signature.

Best of luck in the upcoming season,

Lois

• Like 1

Any thoughts on making the plumes a different color? There's a lot of black on that uniform, it would be nice to see some contrast (maybe white?). Regardless, looks great anyway!

Any thoughts on making the plumes a different color? There's a lot of black on that uniform, it would be nice to see some contrast (maybe white?). Regardless, looks great anyway!

Your post reminded me when Westshoremen went to all black with blue trim on their unis in 1979. At some stadiums with less than great lighting in the back, the corps members just about disappeared. Following year, the (spray painted) flat black shakos were replaced by white Aussies which helped..

No... I'm not suggesting Aussies for the Hurrcs. :shutup:

Different colors were considered for the plume. But after much discussion between designers, staff and management, the black was the color we felt worked best when all factors were considered!

And to those who will miss the cop hat, don't forget the cop hats will still be used by our Drum Majors and Honor Guard!

Different colors were considered for the plume. But after much discussion between designers, staff and management, the black was the color we felt worked best when all factors were considered!

And to those who will miss the cop hat, don't forget the cop hats will still be used by our Drum Majors and Honor Guard!

great change in SOOOOOOOOO many ways..impact will be seen for sure :thumbup:

• Like 1