Connecticut Hurricanes - Uniform Change

I remember seeing the Cabs that year and wondered, "What were they thinking?" I believe (though not at all certain) it was a decision driven by prevailing judges' opinions about streamlining the look of the uniform, and 'updating' the corps' image. Apparently, it just didn't have the intended effect or results. Sanity and good sense returned the following year, as Elphaba indicated.

In the case of this latest move by the Hurricanes, I am reminded of the 1965 season when the Bucs switched to shakos. As I recall, it was even a front-page story in the old Drum Corps News. The new headgear made for a good-looking image overall, but eventually they returned to the aussies as part of subsequent uniform changes, returning to their earlier image. I can't help but wonder if the same thing may happen eventually with the Hurcs. I can't say I dislike it, but it does make them look like some other corps now, not the Hurcs I remember competing against. But then, like so many corps, their uniform has changed several times in the intervening the years anyway.

"Gestapo Hats":

The Hurricanes "Gestapo/State Trooper/Motor Cycle" headgear are actually an "Iconic" part of senior drum corps.

Going WAY BACK to the late 1950's/early 1960's I can vividly recall the corps marching in the Barnum, swagering down Main Street in those olde black uniforms and later their first "Satins" topped with the trademark "Gestapo" hats. . Wow. Great memory.

Best of luck with the new headgear.

Elphaba

I hear the pleats are gone again or way modified or something to that sort..could be rumor who knows but did come from someone close....we'll see

A few years back the new uniform pants became bibbers, the bell-bottom was reduced in size, and the kick pleat made smaller as well. It was a subtle change that probably helps them with marching at fast tempos. Another subtle change, almost totally imperceptible, is that the blouse was switched to a pull-over rather than a button-down shirt. Our Alumni uniform still has the larger bell and pleat, and button shirts, more like the style used when I was in the competing corps, way back when.

• Like 1

A few years back the new uniform pants became bibbers, the bell-bottom was reduced in size, and the kick pleat made smaller as well. It was a subtle change that probably helps them with marching at fast tempos. Another subtle change, almost totally imperceptible, is that the blouse was switched to a pull-over rather than a button-down shirt. Our Alumni uniform still has the larger bell and pleat, and button shirts, more like the style used when I was in the competing corps, way back when.

And the day the alumni's uniform changes, John, will be the same day that the earth plunges into the sun.

The style isn't being penalized exactly.

Compare Bucs to Cabs... Bucs look taller and have a uniform sleek look which overall will look better than Cabs who look shorter because of the hats and look less uniform because the kickpleats all move slightly different.

Cabs uniforms make it harder to judge because they have to take the loose pants into consideration which could bring the score down just off of uncertainty. I doubt the judge thinks "your pants move too much. I don't like them. Lower score for you." But then again, this is DCP and someone will say I'm wrong and its all a big conspiracy.

If the cabs performed 2 shows exactly the same, one in their uniform and another in bucs uniform... I would assume the second show would have a higher score just based on uniformity.

Precisely... also with marching a "straight leg" technique it is very easy to see uniformity with a stripe down the side.

Am I saying "Cabs got screwed" absolutely not, it's a tradition and even if the took a 1 pt penalty for wearing kickpleats and sombreros I think the Caballeros would still march out with pride.

When you put on the suit, you feel like a bada**. Taking that away from the corps would be akin to cutting Samson's hair.

Precisely... also with marching a "straight leg" technique it is very easy to see uniformity with a stripe down the side.

Am I saying "Cabs got screwed" absolutely not, it's a tradition and even if the took a 1 pt penalty for wearing kickpleats and sombreros I think the Caballeros would still march out with pride.

When you put on the suit, you feel like a bada**. Taking that away from the corps would be akin to cutting Samson's hair.

"Cutting Samson's Hair":

Well said. You know how that old song goes:

"You don't pull on Superman's cape....

"You don't spit into the wind...

"You don't pull the mask off the old Lone Ranger...

"And you don't MESS WITH the CABALLEROS UNIFORM!!!!!!!"

Elphaba

• Like 2

a stripe can be just as revealing its why some DCI corps removed theirs.

a stripe can be just as revealing its why some DCI corps removed theirs.

It's true in DCA as well as in DCI. Contrasting stripes (and shoes) also can be very revealing whether a corps is weak or strong in marching. Nowadays, white bucks with dark uniforms are virtually nonexistent, as are black shoes with white or light-colored pants. These are design elements of the uniforms which have been altered to give a corps every possible advantage in marching/visual. Some of the Alumni corps have returned to white bucks for that old-style 'classic' look, notably the Sky Alumni and Blessed Sacrament.

It's true in DCA as well as in DCI. Contrasting stripes (and shoes) also can be very revealing whether a corps is weak or strong in marching. Nowadays, white bucks with dark uniforms are virtually nonexistent, as are black shoes with white or light-colored pants. These are design elements of the uniforms which have been altered to give a corps every possible advantage in marching/visual. Some of the Alumni corps have returned to white bucks for that old-style 'classic' look, notably the Sky Alumni and Blessed Sacrament.

Okay, so you can color me "old," but I still think the best way to correct an issue of "weak or strong marching" was to improve the marching. If you could march well, you enhanced that image with a stripe on the pants and/or with contrasting shoes; if you couldn't march very well, you engaged in more practice. (And it was usually the latter)

Okay, so you can color me "old," but I still think the best way to correct an issue of "weak or strong marching" was to improve the marching. If you could march well, you enhanced that image with a stripe on the pants and/or with contrasting shoes; if you couldn't march very well, you engaged in more practice. (And it was usually the latter)

This is very true BUT good instruction and designing does their part to enhance positives and hide negatives...it has not alot to do with bad marching because all you have to do is turn one person from another and something ( stripe etc etc ) disapears which appears fuzzy or that something was wrong. BITD it was pretty straight forward marching Now a days its far from it so alterations need to be made to accomonadate what is being done now. DO corps have to change it? of course not, could be be a disadvantage not to? it certainly could be.

Edited by GUARDLING