Here are some remembrances of Drum Major Jim Mchenry from members of New Bedford Whalers, Rhode Island Matadors,

Generations & St. Kevin's Emerald Knights. These, along with pictures of Mac. from his various corps will be inclosed

into an official document & presented to his family at a future date.

Anyone reading this is invited to post your own stories & memories of Mac. He was one of a kind.

When I joined the Whalers I was one of the youngest, and one of the smallest guys in the Corps. There was lots of good natured ribbing always going on, but Jim always "defended" me. He was the only drum major I ever worked with who could bawl you out royally, yet leave you with a feeling that he truly appreciated and respected your work. He was also exceptional in the fact that he was never afraid to praise the corps when we worked hard, as well as to push us when we got lazy. I remember once we were about to run a practice at a show and the Hurcs were just finishing up a rehearsal. They were at the top of their game that year, and when Mac realized we were spending a little too much time admiring them, instead of getting ready ourselves, he let us have it. "THEY PUT ON THEIR PANTS THE SAME WAY AS YOU DO!!! They are no better than you, but today they're working harder!!" Somehow that moment stayed with me for a long time. I never looked at anyone as better than me. I always remembered that they put on their pants the same way I did, and I always remembered that it was Jim who helped me realize that.

When we lost our bid for a DCA spot, no one person was more upset than Jim. I remember him gathering us around after the show a little teary, and as angered as he was, I felt he was more upset for us than for himself. He wasn't there just to direct us, but to comfort us, and to congratulate us no matter what. There are lots of "Mac" stories, I'm sure, and I'm sure they all end leaving us with a smile. Being a Whaler was always special (look at the pic of Jim up front....could anyone have been prouder?), but it was just a little more special because we got to march, get admonished, get encouraged, and to laugh an awful lot with Jimmy Mac. It was a pleasure to have spent time with him.

Joey Petrone (JoeRI)

Whalers Soprano '68-'72

I first remember Jimmy from our days with Assumption and the big fire on Central & Acushnet Avenues that pretty much wiped the Corp out. Everything stunk like fire & smoke and as we moved to the Eagles Hall for rehearsals, we clean it all up and made the best of what we had. Jim was a leader even back then, and I remember him saying "Thank God no one was hurt and at least we have our horns & drums and we can always get new uniforms".

As time moved on, the idea of the Jolly Whalers came to be a reality, I was still a bit young and joined the Golden Raiders, but eventually graduated and became a Jolly Whaler. It was good to be back with the Big Corp again and Jimmy was one of the first people to welcome me aboard.

We had a lot of great years as Whalers and all along, I remember Jim as a leader and most importantly, a friend. I know I'm just one of the very many Drum Corp friends Jimmy Mac had, who will miss him. It was always an honor to march behind him and I know we'll all miss him. Rest in Peace My Friend...........

Jim Latimer

Snare drum, Whalers '63 to 69

Jim was one of the good guys. Always cheerful, serious when necessary, always fair. I think I was with him in the Assumption, I can't remember, it's too far back. He did make me feel welcome, no matter where we were. My oldest recollection was when he and Kathy returned from their honeymoon, Jim mentioned that his bottle of Hai Karate after shave burst in his luggage and the aroma permeated all of their clothing. What a way to start a life together, but, I guess it worked... He will be missed.

Art Perryman, soprano

As a youngster in the Whalers while in high school, Jim McHenry was the perfect role model. I remember him as our leader, by example. Like many of our fellow Whalers, Jim made the new guy feel welcome and an important part of the Corps. He taught you to work hard for your fellow Whalers. Know your part, know your music, know our routine. You learned the importance of teamwork and being prepared. Jim always let you know when it was time to work and when it was time to laugh. I lived by Jim’s leadership example in my career and tried to lead as well as he did. I’m sure he had that affect on many of my fellow Whalers. That may well be his legacy. The best of Jim McHenry lives on in all of us as for he did indeed touch our lives during those glorious years and beyond. Thank you Jim McHenry.

Jim Mahaney, Tenor Drum, Whalers ’67-68

Carole Nelson Mahaney, Chordettes, ’66-68

My rememberance of Jim was that he was a top Quality Drum Major who new the music and how to direct it. He was always active in all of the preparation and board meetings with one thought to bring out the best in all, which he was successful in doing. Our instructors thought the world of Jim and you would see that when we were in competition and they would be reviewing the scores. He was respected by his fellow drum majors, managers, and judges.

My best rememberance of an event with Jim was when we were in the Bristol Parade. The Vietnam War was going on and there were protesters on the parade route trying to block the corps and disrespect the flag. This was just as we had rounded the bend down by the water. Jim has the Harpoons drop down as well as the swords and flags other than the American and march as a V through them. Never forgot this as a patriotic act.

Another memory was we were in Pennsylvania On a field next to a Mack Truck Factory. Little bugs by the thousands were coming up from the grass as we practiced. Mac and Frank Pimental decided that we had swallowed enough bugs and decided to cut the rehearsal short. Gave us a chance to go to the Burger Chef and wash them away so that we play that evening. Leadership is a quality that not everyone had but Mac sure did! Rest in Peace.

Dave Barton,

Whalers, Tenor Drum

My wife, Edna and I had the honor of having Mac being our leader three times, in the Matadors, Matador Reunion Corps and the RI Generations. Mac always knew how to make feel welcome and could always make the best of any situation. We were proud that Jim was with Generations when we won the DCA Class A championship in 2000. Jim was always a true gentleman and worked hard to know the music. We will miss seeing him at contests, Jim Rest in Peace.

Dave and Edna Correia

33 Arrow Lane

Nashua, NH 03060-4815

thecorreias5@comcast.net

Jim McHenry was undoubtedly one of the very best drum majors I have ever known. He put everything into each performance and was a genuine gentleman. He was a great, great Matador. I owe him much. God bless him and his family.

Jimmy Centorino

What can I say that hasn’t already been said about Jim McHenry? I served with Jim in the Whalers, Matadors and St. Kevin’s Drum corps. Jim always encouraged me to perform as a harpooner in the Whalers, even at times when I felt like not wanting to carry the harpoon. And it was Jim McHenry that got me to join the Matadors. I often traveled to Boston with Jim while I was in St. Kevin’s.

I performed with a few Drum Majors, but none came close to performing with Jim McHenry. He always made you feel important and would do what ever necessary to get the best out of a performer or the Corps. Jim Mc Henry was a very important part of my life in drum corps. I will cherish his friendship for as long as I live.

I can just see it now, Jim and Joe Genero up in Drum Corps Heaven wowing all the Angles with some great Drum Corps music.

Mike Mendoza Whalers 1961-1968 Harpoon

Matadors 1999 Cymbals

St.Kevin’s 2001-2002 Cymbals

I met Mac when I was 13 years old. Some of the older members of the Jr. Corps would let some of us younger members tag along to Marine Park to watch Whaler rehearsals. 3 years later at 16 I found myself playing 2nd soprano in that very same Whaler horn line. Mac was very aware that the 2nd sop section had only 1 Vet & 3 young kids, (me, Billy Sousa, & Manny Raposa). Jim did everything he could to make sure we weren't intimidated playing in what was a very good horn line with all the other members so much older then us.

So now it was my turn to go to Marine Park for rehearsal. Mac had the drill charts & he was teaching us the drill. As was common back then for certain portions of the show everyone gets assigned a number........ Your #1, your #2, your #3, your #4. Mac assigns me my number but I was fooling around too much & didn't pay attention. A moment later he came back & says, "Roderick, what number did I give you?" My answer..........."To tell the truth Jim I don't remember." Next thing I knew the drill charts were flying at my head! He stood there, and then walked up to me & said in a stern voice, “All you've done all night is clown around. When you come to MY REHEARSAL you better come to work, do your fooling around somewhere else." Now, he's still standing there looking at me & the drill charts all over the ground, so I bend over pick the charts up, hand them back to him & say "Sorry Jim." Next rehearsal Mac was "Billy! How you doing today? Good to see you!" All was forgiven.

After 40 years I'm still playing in Drum Corps but never again did a Drum Major or instructor ever have to speak to me like that again ................................. thank you Mac!

Bill Roderick

New Bedford Whalers 1972

Rhode Island Matadors 1975-1987

Rhode Island Generations 2000 (DCA Class A Champions)

Light Brigade 2003-2008

Mass Brass 2003- ?

Defenders Alumni 2008- ?

The thing I remember about Mac the most was the way He gave commands. We all can hear him now, clear & loud, that first "Corps," then a slight pause. We knew it was time to be ready for whatever he said next. Mac instilled a confidence in the whole line. You just knew that he was in charge & was going to lead us to a good performance. Listen to any recording for his commands & you will remember that feeling. He was very special.

Mike DeSouza

French horn

Mellophone

New Bedford Whalers 65-72

RI. Matadors 98-99

The St. Kevin Emerald Knights 2000- NOW

(It’s) been a sad week for all. I was playing French horn when Mac came back from the Marine Corps. I was with you (Mike DeSouza), Art, myself when we all played together. When the nominations came for drum major I nominated him. He was a great leader and was all Marine. I think we should nominate him for Drum Corps Hall of Fame this year.

Mike Sorenson, Atlanta, GA

French Horn

Whalers 65-69

I remembered Mac in my heart as I celebrated Mass in the Cathedral of St. Denis in Athens Greece last Sunday. I will offer Mass for him at my parish church in Londonderry, NH. We have all had wonderful memories of our friendships, and companionship and our caring for and about each other. So many have crossed my mind this past week as I remembered such great people as Ed Colbert and Paul Palange, Frank Pimental, and Joe Genaro and Ray Ludee and so many who have touched our lives. Mac is with them and many others. May they all Rest in peace.

(Fr) Bob Couto

When I was a member of the Assumption, I was only 14 years old and still wet behind the ears. Then we Folded and started the Jolly Whalers and through the years we had several Majors, who were pretty good, like Kenny Higgins, Richie Antones, Bob Miranda, Ron (MOTTO) St.Gelais, but in the background, was a soprano player, and a color guard member, who ran for the JOB of Major, and to me he was the Best, Major and Friend. I would consider him my Brother. I will never forget those Lovely Words that came from his Heart....."HEY YOU PROCK".. and all the different Corps we marched in together. Someday I will be right beside You in that Great Drum Corps in the Heavens........You Will Always be on my Mind....Peace Jim

Raymond J Leger

Assumption Drum&Bugle Corps 1958-1960

Jolly Whalers/Whalers 1960-1972

Matadors Reunion 1999

Generations Class A Champions 2000

St.Kevin Emerald Knights Alumni 2001-2011