2012 competition vol. numbers... by Corps

My SWAG on the difference in show numbers has to do with location and budget. I think historically BD, SCV and other West Coast Corps have tried to stay in the west for as long as possible, both to control cost and promote the activity, but there are fewer shows. There are more shows available in the midwest and east with shorter traveling distances. I'm also guessing that some Corps, that have the opportunity, want as much polishing opportunity as they can get by playing more shows - not a bad strategy.

Surf may also be an example of staying home as long as possible, but playing in competive shows east of the Mizzipi. Mandarin, on the other hand needs to ride on the coattails (playing in the same shows) of BD and SCV for as long as they can to be able to afford Indy.

Just my SWAG. If you don't know what a SWAG is, just ask. It involves a somewhat crude term, inoffensive to most, but offensive to some, but there is a donkey named Jack who is involved in one of the the letters.

Kevin

Not a new issue - though I agree it is worth discussing. (Just for reference, here's a similar thread I started three years ago, which includes five-year data for the top three.)

Bottom line for me is certain corps are depriving the fans. Corps that make a full tour, corps who contend for the title ought to perform as much as possible in my view.

HH

Well, I learned something new today from being on here. I didn't know that this is not a new thing for BD in that they tend to perform less in competition than a lot of other Corps.

24 competitions before Championship Week is more than a 3rd less than some of the other World Class Corps... semes like a lot to me. Oh well. It seems to work for them, so thats that, I guess.

Edited by BRASSO

The simplest answer is almost always the right answer.

Not sure I agree with this.

In order to operate, The Cadets need more money from appearance fees than do the Blue Devils. It seems pretty clear.

Doesn't mean I don't agree with that.

Still, the fans pay. Cavies and Devils missing from the line-up is tickets unsold.

HH

I thought on the latest Surf video they said they were doing a full tour. I guess not if they are only doing 15 shows.

Looking at our schedule this year, a couple of things... first, our first performance is on June 23rd in Bayonne, but our first competition isn't until the 29th. We still have a week off early in July, followed by a week of rehearsals while we travel down to Texas, a break of 12 days between competitions. Finally, we have no shows scheduled between Allentown and Indy. Nothing too out of the ordinary, so I'm going to say that it's more rehearsal days to really clean and max out the show. It's not a "full" tour in the usual sense, but it is by far the most ambitious tour in recent memory (if ever) for Surf.

Actually, Boston IS starting in California, just like BD. If I recall, Blue Devils usually have fewer shows than most of their competitors (we've had this discussion here in past years). They also tend not to house people during Spring training and they also rehearse less than many corps~but it seems to work for them.

Good luck to all in the start of the season next month.

Eat'em up, Boston.

You are right I was wrong Boston is starting in California my mistake. Yeah, I know that BD has fewer show's, but i'm also looking at regular season, they are gonna have to be housed somewhere. BD, is a great example of getting things done that's for sure. Hopefully everyone will do well this season!

why is BD doing so few? don't they usually do 30+?

in before "doesn't BD care about drum corps fans?!?!?!"

Maybe they're traveling more than the other corps?

more than Vanguard or Boston though?

No. tongue.gif

I was just trying to give a plausible reason for their schedule. I'd bet that Vanguard travels more than BD.

I thought on the latest Surf video they said they were doing a full tour. I guess not if they are only doing 15 shows.

The DCI definition of "full tour" is to join the tour by San Antonio and stay with it from then through championships. Jersey Surf is doing that in 2012; therefore, they will be a full-touring world-class corps.

• Like 1